Battery drain very fast

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sewell

Club Guest
dear sifu,i have come across that my batter drain very fast.my drive is E39 2003 520i. is only 2 day i did not start my car, and my battert is only 1 year old. any wiring shop or battery shop or machanic and help me to check my problem. i did not modify anything into my car. sifu, please recomend me any good machanic.

suggest that you use a clamp-on ammeter to check the current when the engine is shut-down.

Dont forget to off the rear boot switch to eliminate the rear light power consumption.

If there are some amp flowing, remove the fuse one by one until you get very current flow.

Battery should not drain if left unused for 2 days.

jarance;516869 said:
suggest that you use a clamp-on ammeter to check the current when the engine is shut-down.

Dont forget to off the rear boot switch to eliminate the rear light power consumption.

If there are some amp flowing, remove the fuse one by one until you get very current flow.

The electronic sifu has spoken.
I suspected the glove box light is left on for E39 there is a tip that touches the box when closed but not fully secured.

there is this wiring/electrician guy in subang / sunway area. How to describe... It was moons ago.

If you are coming from Sunway side(sunway left), go towards the roundabout and then take 12 o'clock. There is a row of shops on the left. I believe there is one car workshop there (could be more). If anyone knows which shop I'm talking about, please help. I haven't been to that place for ages (years!!!) but he diagnosed my electrical problems on the E36 before.

Do you have aftermarket alarm? One reason probably the alarm backup battery kong already ...

NO, did not install any aftermarket alarm. wondering how can this happen not 1 or 2 time. now is the 3rd time edi

the altonator is alright. after jump start i can drive with no issue at all. headache

jarance;516869 said:

Do as what Jarance said above, if there is high current flowing, then trace down the source of leakage or components that draining the most by removing the fuse one by one, this can be done with most accessories shop. This is not easy unless you have experience as most radio/alarm/clock is taking some current when engine is off anyway. Alternator charging or not can be easily checked, once the engine running you can measure the Voltage across both terminals should be around 14 when it is charging. Next is do the battery check, one way to do it is remove one of the terminal off, and connect back to start after 2 days, again not the best as radio/clock/alarm is taking some current when eingine is off. Another is to borrow a battery to test out. Most MF battery nowaday only lasting 18 months with some exception. Unless you find out the source, wiringman might not help much unless it is due to wiring shock/leakage.
Good Luck!

sewell;519513 said:
the altonator is alright. after jump start i can drive with no issue at all. headache

just get the battery check at the battery shop. They have a a device to check the battery condition by discharging it.

after i jump start, i drive to the battery shop, they use an electronic device to test my battery and they said OK. everything is stable. i do drove my car to accessories shop and ask them to check the leaking. after 1 hour checking, no result given.

i think i should go and borrow a DC AMP meter to test it my self.

sewell;519632 said:
after i jump start, i drive to the battery shop, they use an electronic device to test my battery and they said OK. everything is stable. i do drove my car to accessories shop and ask them to check the leaking. after 1 hour checking, no result given.

i think i should go and borrow a DC AMP meter to test it my self.

where are you located? I have a DC clamp.

i believe it's the alternator going to kaput.. the alternator not charging enough, hence the battery is being drain'ed... during driving, okay cos on high rpm.. on low and on traffic lights, the battery does not receive enough charge to keep it's 13.8v charge..

or

do what jarance ask you to do first, or use a test pen and check for leak at each fuse to see which lights up and what function, do it when the car is off..key out.. you will be suprised which is faulty..

sewell;519672 said:
i'm in Subang Jaya.

I am in Klang staying around Berkeley Garden. You can come and check on Sunday using my DC clamp around 1:00 pm..

When you jump start it, the alternator is constantly charging up the battery hence when you reaches the battery shop it already fully charge. If the alternator is not charging, a battery icon will pop up in the dash meter. You can measure with a volt meter when the car is sucessfully started should show 13-13.7v. Turn on head light, radio and wiper you will notice voltage drop to below 12v and slowly the alternator charging will increase the voltage to above 13v.This show the alternator is charging and is good.

The amper is needed to crank start the car.Check the rating on battery something like 60 or 70Ah.At least 70% of battery Ah is needed to crank start the car.when the car cannot be start, connect the battery tester will tell you whether the battery is in good condition.For all BMW car when ah drop below certain low level.You can't start the car at all not even a cranking sound. This is to prevent the electronic system being damage by low starting voltage and ah.

For BMW car because the whole electrical system is constantly drawing high load from the battery hence only replace those premium brand battery.Other asia brand battery will not last and at the most give you 1 year life span.

jarance;519674 said:
I am in Klang staying around Berkeley Garden. You can come and check on Sunday using my DC clamp around 1:00 pm..

thank jarance , but this coming sunday i will be outstation. will PM you to fix a time.

Top Bottom