AUTO Tranny

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

xcell60

Club Guest
Fellas,I would like to seek your observation on your individual e36s. When shifting the transmission into reverse, does the car reverse immediately, or is there a delay (2 seconds) before the car moves? This observation, as I have noticed, isn't that same for forward drive. As you engage to D from a still position, the forward movement is almost immediate. Want to know if this is common, or is it time for service.Appreciate your help from all gurus.Cheers

To engage into reverse, shouldnt you have to engage your brake pedal first?? How can the car move instantly?

i think that's normal right??? because if not delay a bit ah, whenever u need to go from P to D the car will go reverse first then go forward....

BlueMixWhite,

Not really. From park to reverse without depressing on brakes is possible.

Thanks

xcell60

Maybe I should make myself clear.

Engage the gear from P to R, and P to D without depressing on brakes. See how long the tranny takes to engage for forward versus reverse drive. You will have to obviously do this twice, both from still position.

Cheers

Originally posted by xcell60@Jul 13 2005, 01:57 PM
Fellas,

I would like to seek your observation on your individual e36s.

When shifting the transmission into reverse, does the car reverse immediately, or is there a delay (2 seconds) before the car moves? This observation, as I have noticed, isn't that same for forward drive. As you engage to D from a still position, the forward movement is almost immediate. Want to know if this is common, or is it time for service.

Appreciate your help from all gurus.

Cheers
if the delay is REALLY *2 seconds*..then its prob worth checking it out. theres definitely a delay, as with intergear changes, maybe .5-sec or so... but havent experienced even a full 1.0sec for gear changes... dun see how reverse shd be different..

having said that, if it drives fine, shifts nicely without jerking, r hesitating.. dun see a concern..:)..

cheers

if the delay is REALLY *2 seconds*..then its prob worth checking it out. theres definitely a delay, as with intergear changes, maybe .5-sec or so... but havent experienced even a full 1.0sec for gear changes... dun see how reverse shd be different..

having said that, if it drives fine, shifts nicely without jerking, r hesitating.. dun see a concern....

cheers

The car drives fine, no problems there. It has become a concern coz this was an observation made by someone.

Cheers

Originally posted by xcell60@Jul 13 2005, 02:25 PM
BlueMixWhite,

Thanks

xcell60
Ok will try and see. Coz I always depress the brake from P to R.

xcell60 said:
BlueMixWhite,
xcell60

Depends on what year is yr car oso. Mine even to shift from N to D oso has to apply brake. Its a safety measure set by the engineer.

i see i see.. so everytime i need to go forward or reverse, I need to stop the car first and select the gear..issit?

i had the same blardy prob also to my E36 325i 1995, so ive got those prob fixed by overhauling the transmission & now back to normal good condition

sesat88 said:
i see i see.. so everytime i need to go forward or reverse, I need to stop the car first and select the gear..issit?

Then what do YOU do? Go from forward to reverse and vice versa without stopping the car first is it? How's your gearbox holding up? :)

The best way to test is from N to R or N to D. When at P the clutch is Rest position and the actuators lock. N to R and N to D shud be the same time, unless the car in in motion. If the car is in motion, it will take time before R engages. If stationary and N to R is longer than N to D then probably the gear switch is faulty or sensor faulty. Had the similar problem b'4.

rubes said:
If stationary and N to R is longer than N to D then probably the gear switch is faulty or sensor faulty. Had the similar problem b'4.

Where is the location of the switch or sensor?

schwepps.. no lar... of course i stop la and shift the gears.
Just acquire BM second hand one.. so i not sure proper SOP mah.
There is some delay ( a few seconds) when shift from N to R before gear engage, so i asking normal or not....

To answer you question, its not normal. Its a sign of things to come. It could be an internal pressure leak albeit a small one at the moment. I have had similar problem before until one fine day when the car wouldnt move in reverse gear. An overhaul was the only option :(

Not too sure, but when i had the problem, My Mech, did a transmission oil and filter change. I think it's located somewhere there. changed one switch and problem gone.

Top Bottom