ATF Oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ridhuan82

Hello guyss

I have been told by AB Glenmarie and KL not to change the AT oil as it can long lasting. Is that true? Im using 320i e90 m sport 2011 and my warranty will get expired soon. Your advice much appreciate. Tq

Mavik said:
I did it at a shop outside. I really couldn't be stuffed with what AB said because my warranty was over, and BSRI completed hence I decided to go ahead with the ATF change.

Few reasons why I did the change, reading from forums in the UK, they changed their ATF and was advised to change by their service advisor there. I checked ZF's website, the company which built our transmission and they stated that the fluid needs to be changed. Our transmission is the GA6HP19Z (easily referenced from RealOem.com)

Here is the reference from ZF's lubricant list. (link here)

In this website, they also stated that BMW's term of lifetime is basically 100,000miles
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E90/TRANS-Automatic_Trans_Fluid_Replacing/TRANS-Automatic_Trans_Fluid_Replacing.htm

So with these sort of information even coming from the makers of our gearbox, I rather trust their service advise based on my driving style hence I did an ATF fluid change at 78,000km. The oil I saw coming out of the gearbox as well as the metal shavings was horrible! The mechanic asked me why the heck I took so long to change the ATF fluid.

I changed 7L ATF including the pan filter @ RM1k.

U can try to ask from Bavarian Auto for the ATF and pan filter too. I think it is cheaper to purchase the lubricant and part there and get a good workshop to replace them. U might save RM100 to RM150 I guess.

2011 e90 is LCI, if I not wrong, you are using GM box which uses Dextron VI red color ATF. GM box dun use plastic pan. But got strainer inside la.

Last time a I checked, the oil pan and fluid is cheaper in Stuttgart Auto PJ. Try give them a call.

GM gbox ATF's should be cheaper than ZF's right?
in comparison between ZF & GM gbox, which is more durable?

For the mid gear, GM is longer ratio, more suitable for diesel application. Can drag or we say "tarik". The 325i M Sport all using GM box since day 1. While the non M Sport using ZF. All LCI 320i using this box while all LCI 325i already M Sport, so uses this too.

ZF is shorter ratio, frequent gear shift. All pre-LCI both 320i and 325i, even the 335i using this box except the 325i M Sport, not sure about the 320i M Sport.

Low gear and Final drive about identical.

ZF is famous for spare parts availability. So can replace every item within. GM box spare parts are scarce. Usually people replace the entire box than repairing a damage box. Chop shop should have many compared to ZF.

So each has it's pros and cons..

To determine which box you having. Just check out the bottom ATF pan. If metal, then GM. If black plastic, then ZF.

For E90 ATF, ZF uses ZF LifeGuard6, yellow fluid. GM uses Dextron VI, red fluid.

Top Bottom