Alpina E30

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by kevster30@Oct 28 2005, 09:49 AM
what kinda problems you reffering to?
pyscological??? no la jk

the fuel mapping will be wrong, airflow, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, intake manifold size, throttle body bore, cam profile. so that would mean that the car is being under fueled and not breathing well right?

You're spot on bro, only engineers have the savvy to 'rojak' part to form a killer engine!

When dealing with swapping and mixing of engine components, one is altering the parameters on which it was optimised on. To put it simply, when you change the size of your wheel, you have no choice but to purchase a tyre of corresponding size......

In this case of mix and match, I forsee the biggest issue would be the ECU, as it would no longer be adequte to cope with the new loads.

Skar19, the basic formulae to increase hp for specific cubic capacity have not change since someone invented the 4 stroke combustion cycle. Bottom line 1) increase compression ratio and 2) increase in max RPM. As you can see, all the mods done by Alpina are basically trying to achieve 1) and 2) :)

thanks bundy and kev.

really have great respect for the top end tuning houses. hehe thats why i changed my signature.

thanks guys

alpina rates as tops tuner for me.......

they pride themselves as a CAR MAKER, not performance accessory sellers.

the common myth, it aint as easy as you think it is.

People always ask and talk about putting an 'i' cylinder head on an 'e' block to improve performance. You would think this makes sense because the 'i' and 'e' are both M20s and the parts are interchangeable. This would work out great if it wasn't for one thing; the 'i' and 'e' combustion chambers are completely different.

On the 'i' chamber (head) you have a large, high volume, dome design. This works well on an 'i' block because an 'i' has pop up pistons. When the raised dome piston reaches top dead center (TDC) it fills the dome chamber and results in a compression ratio around 8.8:1. Think of it as two puzzle pieces. The piston fits the shape of the chamber to make a match.

Then there's the 'e' head. The 'e' chamber is a flat chamber and the pistons are also flat (the 'i' design is superior) so when they are at TDC you get solid compression, and a ratio that is actually higher than an 'i' at around 9:1.

So here's the problem with swapping... The 'i' chamber needs a pop up piston in order for it to get the compression ratio it needs to make good power, and the 'e' pistons aren't of that design. When you put the 'i' head on top of a stock 'e' bottom end you are LOWERING the compression ratio, lowering equals bad, lowering equals less power. By doing this the ratio becomes LESS than the 'i' stock ratio of 8.8:1, I believe it's something like 8.4:1.

Now hopefully this clears that up.. if there are further questions email me. So what does yield more power? I'll be posting another article soon with different methods of building up M20s. 'e' and 'i'.

If for example (b27block,crank,rods,b25pistons) there would be a clearence issue where the b25 pistons need to be shaved ~3mm have a good fit.

mr skar

u have been reading too much USA bimmer stuff

pls remember there are differences between european b27 and USA b27, then also the petrol that countries uses are different octane value

your readings and research are too premature to post
in the future pls,pls,pls read understand and fully comprehend bmw engines of different between continents

on more thing, have you seen a b27 euro compression value?
i have, and its 11.1.......

Originally posted by skar19@Nov 3 2005, 01:36 PM

On the 'i' chamber (head) you have a large, high volume, dome design. This works well on an 'i' block because an 'i' has pop up pistons. When the raised dome piston reaches top dead center (TDC) it fills the dome chamber and results in a compression ratio around 8.8:1. Think of it as two puzzle pieces. The piston fits the shape of the chamber to make a match.

Then there's the 'e' head. The 'e' chamber is a flat chamber and the pistons are also flat (the 'i' design is superior) so when they are at TDC you get solid compression, and a ratio that is actually higher than an 'i' at around 9:1.

mr skar

you have to research more

the dome part of the i engine can be manipulated to suit the flat e pistons

yes there is a flat spot, but porting for addition turbulence and airflow will make this combo of i head and e pistons somewhat interesting, plus the yield of 220 bhp that some tuners came up with is really a challenge

research more........

hmmm....i shall research more....thanks teejay.

i suppose someone who is doing the eta conversion would like to know more about this ? hehe

yeah i understand about the US thing, the problem there are loads of german sites out there with lots of info, but its in german, i need to learn german or use the translation thing that someone posted on the forum.

thanks for the pointers.

alittle, i can get myself into a bar, order some drinks, and pick up a chick for a quickie.....

guess what i say to get them...!!!!!!

Originally posted by teejay@Nov 3 2005, 06:19 PM
alittle, i can get myself into a bar, order some drinks, and pick up a chick for a quickie.....

guess what i say to get them...!!!!!!

German Girl : Hi Mr.Ong.. :p

Mr.Ong : Oi..!! Cipek..!! mau seow pooh ah..!!???

wuhoo..... :yahoo: lali... :ph34r:

Originally posted by skar19@Nov 3 2005, 06:19 PM
i have no idea
yeah.....u better dont have any !!!

if i said it to you , you may end up like the german gals.....now we dont want that type of scandal here on the club do we...... :D

zoggee cipek style

cipek here, cipek there, cipek everywhere.........

Top Bottom