Air-con squeeks

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ratchet

Club Guest
My air-con has started getting an annoying squeek at the lowest setting, but as you move to the higher settings it gradually disappears. How annoying is it, well....eeeEEEeEEeEEeEEEEEEEEEEEEEYeah, it's about as annoying as the line above. I have to drown it out by blasting my speakers to avoid early admittance to the asylum. Any thoughts on the most likely cause for this? Thanks in advance.

:beaten: Time to hand over some hard earned cash....

Maybe burger oredi settled and siting nicely in the stomach!

Originally posted by ratchet@Jun 15 2006, 11:16 PM
My air-con has started getting an annoying squeek at the lowest setting, but as you move to the higher settings it gradually disappears. How annoying is it, well....

eeeEEEeEEeEEeEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah, it's about as annoying as the line above. I have to drown it out by blasting my speakers to avoid early admittance to the asylum. Any thoughts on the most likely cause for this? Thanks in advance.
Dude, you have to figure out if it comes from inside the cabin (which could possibly mean its the blower fan) or the engine bay (which could mean the compressor or other related parts like pulley and belts).

Either which way it will mean a visit to your favourite workshop unless you are able to ignore it or handy with your own set of tools.

Actually it is the motor of the aircon blower. The bearing of the motor
is slightly worn out.

You can DIY by access from the wiper motor side. it is a bit
tricky but it can be done.

Temporary measure is to use lub oil on the bearing to loosen the
ball bearing. Apply grease after the bearing is loosen of rust or
dirt.

Note. I done this before but did not apply grease. The squeak
sound came back after 1 year.

Originally posted by ratchet@Jun 15 2006, 11:16 PM
My air-con has started getting an annoying squeek at the lowest setting, but as you move to the higher settings it gradually disappears. How annoying is it, well....

eeeEEEeEEeEEeEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah, it's about as annoying as the line above. I have to drown it out by blasting my speakers to avoid early admittance to the asylum. Any thoughts on the most likely cause for this? Thanks in advance.
Bro, seems that it's time to have your aircon fan serviced and while you are at it, would be advisable to have your cooling col checked for leakage as well since you will have to remove the dash board to get to the aircon fan.

Thanks for the advice guys. It is the blower. Went to my mechanic and got to it to try adding some lube but the blower is a whole unit by itself and I was told I'd have to replace the whole blower.

when you go to a mechanic

they will always say you'll have to REPLACE

jarance idea is d.i.y.

most of us don't have the time, the patience, the tools

may be some sifus can plan for a D.I.Y. centre for
the club where we can take care of minor problems
like this ourselves

won't it be better use of time than just sipping teh tarik

Sounds like aircon tensioner. I had this problem with my e34 some months ago. You may either have to change the entire unit, which is around RM150 - 200. In my case the foreman just adjusted the tensioner bolt and it was resolved, no replacement was required in my case. Sometimes, telling the foreman to troubleshoot a particular part also helps.

Regards.
PV6

mine also the same problem. only happen in lowest fan or air-cond. Higher no sound ady. So my solution, turn to higher fan.

jarance said:
Actually it is the motor of the aircon blower. The bearing of the motor
is slightly worn out.

You can DIY by access from the wiper motor side. it is a bit
tricky but it can be done.

Temporary measure is to use lub oil on the bearing to loosen the
ball bearing. Apply grease after the bearing is loosen of rust or
dirt.

Note. I done this before but did not apply grease. The squeak
sound came back after 1 year.

dude...do u think u can tell us in detail how to get this done?

snchin said:
dude...do u think u can tell us in detail how to get this done?

Like I said earlier, it is quite tricky. It was unfortunately that I did not take any picture when I was doing it. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand word.

Anyway, I will check Bentley Manual if there is any guide in there. If not, then I will try to explain a bit later.

Ok I have extract from Bentley manual.. Here is the link to download.

Hope it is helpful to you.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/6b3451d6-9a76-4156-8e07-5b12ed5db56b/blower-access

Basically, you need to remove the grill and the air plenum cover to see the A/C blower. Once you can see the blower you need to release the 3 clips to open the blower housing. When the top cover is removed, you should be able to see the plastic blades on the left on right side of the blower motor. You can use Singer oil to oil the bearing and apply the grase to the bearings later.

Remove the motor and blower blade is a bit tricky as it involve twisting and turning. Honestly, it took me about half a hour to figure out how to withdraw the blower motor with the blade.

Another thing is that putting back the air plenum cover. It is quite difficult to fix it back. I found mine did not fit too well when I try to put it back. Finally found that you can fix it back properly by securing the screw on the passenger side first and then proceed to insert the whole piece on the driver side by hammering a bit with a mallet. Really, if you DIY it, you will know what I mean..

Top Bottom