Advise on e46 shocks

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

OldmanBM

Club Guest
Hi all,Can someone please share some comments on E46 rear shocks. My e46 has been running on factory stock shocks for 7 years now. No problems whatsoever, just that with full load, the undercarrige will slighly scrape speed bumps....maybe shocks are getting soft...Question, how do I know its time to change shocks ?Also, what is the recomemded model and brand to change. I'd like to have confort ride.What the estimated cost.Appreciate if the sifus out there can share some advise here....Thanks !

Original rear shocks (Blistien) cost RM185 per pcs. (Excluding installation). I changed mine last year. Used it for 5 years before changing.

Cheers!

How you check your absorber?
compress and decompress each side of your car and let go. if your car still go up and down, up and down, it means your absorber kaput already. a good absorber should absorb the shock and your car should not move up and down.

Most of us use bilstein either black or yellow. Never used black before and has been using yellow. Yellow is a little too hard for me and just nice for others. Well if you want to know how it feels then you should ride on some of the cars.

Sorry bro, I'm in KL, so don't think I can help u. But there are lotsa Penang bros here that can point u in the right direction.

OldmanBM;271014 said:
Thanks three 18, best place to get this done in Penang ? recomendations ?

Thanks all that has contributed.

Looks likes choices are limited in Penang.
Available: Sachs Absorbers Front RM 350 Back RM 175 , Dust cover RM 35 both but was told the damper may cost 35 to rM 90. Workmanship for all 4 change RM 150 to 180.
Pls comments if any else , next week , I will do the change.

Thanks again for inputs,

OldmanBM

Hi Guys,

My ride is an e46 year 2000 (1.9) model..........wats is the original set of absorbers used ....is it Sachs........

any one changed it back tot he originals...and how much does it cost......

need to get mine changed i think next week........

Thanks guys in advance for your input

Hi Nathan,

As mentioned from my previous post, Sachs Absorbers is the original shocks e46 .( BOGE is from Sachs too ) Front RM 350 Back RM 175 , Dust cover RM 35 both but was told the damper may cost 35 (back to rM 90 (front). Workmanship for all 4 change RM 150 to 180.This is for changing all the shock and mounts.

Alignment after change is recomended. An expert alignment job does a world of difference. Only go for expert or experienced shops.

Hope this helps....

OldmanBM

Hi Oldmanbm and Vivien,

Thanks for your respective feedback.....gonna do the change most probably this friday at m-laju.........kl holiday mah so good time to get it done....

nathan;286479 said:
Hi Oldmanbm and Vivien,

Thanks for your respective feedback.....gonna do the change most probably this friday at m-laju.........kl holiday mah so good time to get it done....

Nathan..have you done the change...how much the damage....and how is it now..

Top Bottom