ABS light up, help!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

peter2118

Club Guest
Sifu, today middle on road, suddently ABS light up and the meter also stop running, are they connect? what possible damage? still save to run or need tow to workshop in this case? my ride is 2001 520i

Sorry cannot help...please call my mechanic Albert at 012-2017792, tell him I asked you to call...

Maybe your speed sensor is dead.. speed sensor is part of ABS system.. you can drive as usual except u have no ABS just regular brake.. and of cos u cannot read the speed.. drive to mechanic to properly identify the problem..

When u said meter, which meter did u mean.. speedometer tachometer tripmeter odometer? Anyway i assumed its speedometer..

antiquer said:
When u said meter, which meter did u mean.. speedometer tachometer tripmeter odometer? Anyway i assumed its speedometer..
yes it is speedometer, thanks for advice

there are all 4 wheel speed sensors located one each at tires. the one that controls the speedometer is the rear left one. check that first and if not it is due to bad abs module. good luck.

peter2118 said:
yes it is speedometer, thanks for advice
Your odometer and trip meter will not work either if the speed sensors kaput. Mine had insulation worn out so wire was exposed. When it rained and the wire got wet, ABS light came on. Was coming back from outstation. Didn't know how fast I was going. In hindsight, should have turned on the phone GPS for speed guidance.

Hi, any contact/shop to buy the wheel sensor. I want to buy the rear left since my speedometer is intermittent with abs/asc lights are on. How about chop shop.. is it recommended?

Plug in diagnostic. It should tell you which side of wheel speed sensors causing the problem. It is located behind the brake disc. Once identified which one, remove it and and check contact and insulation issue first. As what ALIAS said it get easily worn out and expose. If the wire broken, just replace the wire. Mine just use tape insulator and it lasted for long time. Save money lorr.

Top Bottom