About to purchase a E36 328i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bro, AB and Sapura Auto outlets are in Sg Besi (KL) approx 30 mins drive from Kajang. The other AB is in Glenmarie (near Subang) which is about 40 mins from Kajang.

try dropping by AB or Sapura. ie. the place you intend to send for inspection and get one of the guys there to lend you the trade plate in return for a nice lunch.

Kajang is world famous for satay. You might want to try some since you're around **grin**

Visual inspection is RM400 ? wow !! (what is MODIC ?)

I will do more than visual inspection for a free meal :D

AB Segambut is way more helpful :).

Haha I think the earlier figure the service advisor from Glenmarie just want to get rid of me.

Segambut AB quoted:
Rm250 for complete diagnostic and visual inspection (Paintwork, mounting, bushes, wear and tear items as well as engine, gearbox suspension)
RM100 for compression test.
This includes a quote for what to change and how much.

Turbology: a free meal is no prob :) Kajang satay? hahaha

sadhish;362825 said:
RM100 for compression test.

This is a must.
or I could do it too for 2 free meals :D
Post the figure for the compression test. It tells how healthy is the engine.

RM100 bucks for compression test a bit expensive. I did mine in Mpower Ayer Itam for RM30.

Try to nego say RM300 from AB for complete diagnostic and visual inspection + compression test.

Good Luck

sam1741;362708 said:
hi.. sadhish
ya.. forgot to mention to you..
i am from Penang also

But i planing to go to view a car at Sel....
so not sure where to bring for inspection.

Bro, i got one cheaper option for you. Its not a fancy AB or what not, just a regular mechanic who's doing pretty good job and most importantly not a Con man. Located in Sg Petani, behind Toyota's showroom (abt 1-2 km la). Specialize on beemer and that wussy merc :wink:

For a resume, they just changed the boss of Zhulian's Merc airmatic suspension that coz RM24K. Not sure whether they can do the compression stuff, perhaps a little visit won't harm you. :top:

Finally got the car....

Hi all,

Just an update for those who were following the thread and to give this journey some closure ;-).

After viewing about 13 cars, 11 of which were immediately discounted. I've settled on a '96 328i. I felt that the year manufactured did not really matter to me as much as the condition of the car. The choice was between a '97 328i and this one.

The exterior and interior of the car was very well taken care off. It's accident free. The owner was not really a car freak and he did no mods to the car (or he switched it before selling the car). The engine was nice and quite during idle and during revs. The millage was about 150k which seems like this was a second car at home.

I bought it from a used car dealer for about 8k lower then what I was prepared to pay. Basically I took the car to the mechanic and then got a quote for the repair bill and use that as a basis for negotiation. That's the upside. The downside (I'm not sure if you can call it that) is that there's quite a few things I've to do to get the car to an acceptable level. The way I look at it, is at least I'm aware of the car condition and I get a choice of which mechanics to bring the car to and what type of parts to use.

An incomplete list: (I'll complete the list with the mechanic's bill when I get home)
Engine Oil Gasket new, but not fasten properly. This is for the Oil Sump tank gasket.
Power steering rack rebuild.
Power steering tank service.
Long shaft coupling change
Fuel Filter petrol hose change
Bleeder hose changed
Total body to waster hose changed.
The wiper water pump was broken.
The head llight switch in the dash board changed.
Also changed the corner lights and the fender lights from yellow to white.
Total cost so far is around RM2.5k

A list of what still needs to be done:
Absorbers needs to be changed.
Rebuild gearbox.
Tires
Rims? (haha)

Stuff that I don't have to fix but will want to:
At idle, the sound of the engine is a bit loud, there's some slight vibration (which only I seem to notice)

I personally felt that i'ld rather get a unabused and unneglected car and then spend some money to restore it back to it's former glory, rather then a car that drives great now but who knows what'll happen in the future. (Both worked out to be about the same price).

I'm also beginning to record down my fuel consumption diligently. I'll start another thread detailling my experience with the car and my impressions of it.

Thanks to all for your kind words and very valuable advice, especially to anxious and lee. They patiently replied to all my PMs asking what must be very newbie like questions.

A short summary thus far is that, the car is a dream to drive... and the extra 2-3k a year (for road tax and the extra 3.5l of fully synth oil compared to the 318) is well worth it. Still learning and thoroughly enjoying ..

I am happy that you have found you E36. Reading you posting reminds me of my own experience. Please do share your experiences and questions with us...so others can guide and be guided.

Welcome to our world!

PS. I should be organising a Sunday breakfast meet in 2 weeks time, I'll sms you once I confirm the date.

As for engine oil you can try Mobil 1 5w-50 which is being sold at Carrefour. Promo RM149.

I have had 2 oil changes so far with it and I find it very smooth.

Carrefour also has Shell 5w-40 @ RM149.

Promo price usually during festive season.

congratulations bro of having the nice ride
based on what you describe its a very nice ride
totally worth it.

hi anxious,.. can i join for the meet up also. :)

Thanks sam, actually ok ok only lar.. still need a lot of TLC and $$$ to bring back the car to what it once was ... :) But I am enjoying it .. thoroughly.

sam1741;367920 said:
congratulations bro of having the nice ride
based on what you describe its a very nice ride
totally worth it.

hi anxious,.. can i join for the meet up also. :)

Of course, I'll SMS u once I set the date. Just PM me your HP no.

The e36 group up north looks quite happening. Good stuff. If I'm up there, I'll surely join.

Sadish, welcome. You are in good company.

Top Bottom