A question to E30 M42 owners

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jumpman

Club Guest
Hope someone can help me out with this. I am currently in the midst of swapping the M42 into my e30 318. however, my mech informed me that my brake booster is in the way of the engine manifold and is hindering the engine from being fitted into the engine bay. I have retrofitted the e32 brake booster fyi, so I'm now wondering if there is any way to go around it? Need all relevant advice the sifus out there can give, TQVM!

another way is to move the booster to the right side where the battery tray is... ;) Lionel is doing that to his E30... That one is a custom job though..

U can also source for the E30 318is intake manifold which is similar to the M40 manifold but not the same... That manifold would most probably clear the E32 booster..

fab: If i were to go the same way as Lionel it means i'll have to reposition the battery to the trunk?how complicated is that to do?any downsides to that? There is no way I can source for the 318is manifold locally in Kuching lol.

fabianyee;564473 said:
another way is to move the booster to the right side where the battery tray is... ;) Lionel is doing that to his E30... That one is a custom job though..

U can also source for the E30 318is intake manifold which is similar to the M40 manifold but not the same... That manifold would most probably clear the E32 booster..

Yes .....Im doing it cos i modified bigger brake booster which cant fit to the passenger side ....

jumpman;564509 said:
fab: If i were to go the same way as Lionel it means i'll have to reposition the battery to the trunk?how complicated is that to do?any downsides to that? There is no way I can source for the 318is manifold locally in Kuching lol.

yes ....u need to reposition the battery to rear trunk and its advisable to do so .......

jumpman;564509 said:

You can always "borrow" from Rudi. keke

Lionel: Mind to share some insights on how you go about with repositioning the brake booster and battery relocation? I've gone thru your thread but there were no specifics on that hehe. So i guess that's the only option I have?

roger:Rudi will kill me hahah!

Thank you all for sharing, appreciate it.

jumpman;564610 said:
Lionel: Mind to share some insights on how you go about with repositioning the brake booster and battery relocation? I've gone thru your thread but there were no specifics on that hehe. So i guess that's the only option I have?

roger:Rudi will kill me hahah!

Thank you all for sharing, appreciate it.

Its not easy and need lot of custom works .........

I can show u some pics here but cant give u too detail but if ur mech is good , they shld know how to do it ..............

14072010070.jpg

16072010072.jpg

Have to cut the firewall ar ? are there any downside to this ? I'm not sure if my mechanic is even daring enough to do this lol.More details would be good.

jumpman;564636 said:
Have to cut the firewall ar ? are there any downside to this ? I'm not sure if my mechanic is even daring enough to do this lol.More details would be good.

so u need to find those who daring to do it and off cause much hv d skill to do it .....

Hm, looks like I can't go your direction bro lionel..any chance of an e30 318is manifold bro fabian was mentioning about? If not worst come to worst i'll have to reuse my original brake booster. sigh..

jumpman;564855 said:
Hm, looks like I can't go your direction bro lionel..any chance of an e30 318is manifold bro fabian was mentioning about? If not worst come to worst i'll have to reuse my original brake booster. sigh..

If u have anyone in UK or US. Can ask them to get from the breakers. then again, was there a lot of clearance with the M40 engine. If not, than even the E30 M42 manifold may not clear the booster.

Anyway, was there anything wrong with your original booster??? I'm still on my original booster and it's more than adequate even on track...

Doubt i'll go that far to source for it. my ori booster according to my mech is weakening so i took the opportunity to retrofit the dual diaphragm one. I guess i'll use back my ori one to save the hassle.hehe.

jumpman;564865 said:
Doubt i'll go that far to source for it. my ori booster according to my mech is weakening so i took the opportunity to retrofit the dual diaphragm one. I guess i'll use back my ori one to save the hassle.hehe.

if your ori booster is weakening, then u better change to a good condition one... U don't want a fast E30 M42 with bad brakes..

Its weakening but still have the pressure. will have to stick with that for now should I use back. in the meantime I'll have to see how it goes. now worrying about the EWS and wiring that will come after that.lol.

jumpman;564897 said:
Its weakening but still have the pressure. will have to stick with that for now should I use back. in the meantime I'll have to see how it goes. now worrying about the EWS and wiring that will come after that.lol.

Just find a ecu which is without and eliminated d ews will do....

jumpman;564865 said:

but u do noticed the pressure different between the ori booster and e32 right? assuming both are in perfect condition

Top Bottom