A Powerful Start?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

atty

Club Guest
My friend told me that if you insert the key and step on the pedal & release, then only you start the engine, you get a more powerful car ride (like extra torque or something). He drives the current 5 series. Is this true?Is this applicable to my humble 3 as well?

atty;491332 said:
My friend told me that if you insert the key and step on the pedal & release, then only you start the engine, you get a more powerful car ride (like extra torque or something). He drives the current 5 series. Is this true?

Is this applicable to my humble 3 as well?

Did your friend share with you why ?

I hear this before... if not mistaken, its to reset the driver's profile value registered with the ECU.

sounds like the BMW engineers hidden a special subroutine in the ECU software :D

Well, he did not say why as i dont think he knows.
Just that for his E60, the max RPM range (red indicator) would increase from 6k to 6.5k after he perform this routine.

KL2DC told us a long time ago that this is the way to reset the adaptive gearbox in the ECU. If you've been driving gently in city traffic for a while, the ECU remembers your driving habits, and gearbox changes will be mapped accordingly to give maximum economy. This method is supposed to reset it to the default mapping, but I think it's just something floating around in the forums. Try it and see if it makes a difference. I've tried it, and it didn't do anything for my car. :)

The simpler way to remap is to just go into 'S' mode. ;)

i m confuse now.. maybe i hv done 2 variations off n on..:((

step 1: insert key
step 2: press pedal
step 3: release pedal
step 4: press engine

or step 1: insert key
step 2: press pedal
step 3: press engine
step 4 release pedal

Don't get confused my dear. If you drive normally, leave your gear lever in D mode. If you want to rev a bit, push it into S mode. Easier way. :D

Step 1. Turn key to the ignition on (Don't crank the engine, just turn the key to radio on)
Step 2. Depress gas pedal all the way to the metal for 30 sec, then release.
Step 3. Depress brake and start the engine (Don't turn key back to zero position, turn it on from step 1).

I try it before for my e39, it works.

The adaptive value calculates quite a number of variables in the ECU which include measuring intake velocity (air filter element condition), voltage fluctuation (battery condition), O2 feedback (effectiveness of catalytic converter), combustion effectiveness (fuel grade, injector performance (fuel pump pressure, injector conditions)), functions of functions.. to come up with an optimum value compare to the default mapping value. Resetting it will force your ECU to start measuring again and arrive to the next optimum value and it takes time to get it right as the ECU will experiment with many combination to get it right, sometimes weeks.

Like what Schwepps said, just flick to "S" if your want performance mapping.. :wink: :love:

bmw7833;491424 said:
Step 1. Turn key to the ignition on (Don't crank the engine, just turn the key to radio on)...

E90 can't turn key le.. and radio won't on without pressing the "Start" button.. to start radio without cranking the engine, need to press "Start" without pressing brake pedal.. should we do that? :rolleyes:

astroboy;491431 said:
E90 can't turn key le.. and radio won't on without pressing the "Start" button.. to start radio without cranking the engine, need to press "Start" without pressing brake pedal.. should we do that? :rolleyes:

Ohh yah hor..then i am not sure liao..:stupid:

Sounds like, IF this actually works, you might see a change in Fuel Consumption - in either direction. What with all the variables that need to be 'recalculated' and all.

Then I also wanna try on my car la. I will press the pedal for more than 30 secs to get a more powderful engine :D

You don't need to reset your gearshift pattern IMO. Doesn't do anything if you already have a heavy right foot, as your ECU thinks you're a hot-dogger already. :wink:

jb3 software

check this out

[video=youtube;cIH0ttIq4Kw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIH0ttIq4Kw[/video]

from what i understand, probably ATTY means JB3 processor.( juice box 3). but its only for the N54 engines. JB3 is hands down the best modification you could do to your BMW 135,335, and 535. the maps is selected via the number of times u depress the throttle and to gain access to the selection mode, u have to press the pedal for 30seconds with the engine not started....

IMHO ...cheers:top:

for NA cars with drive by wire throttle, depressing the pedal for more than 30 s will reset the tranny n throttle adaptation and u wont get a powderful start. only the tranny logic is reset.

achtung;494327 said:
check this out
from what i understand, probably ATTY means JB3 processor.( juice box 3). but its only for the N54 engines. JB3 is hands down the best modification you could do to your BMW 135,335, and 535. the maps is selected via the number of times u depress the throttle and to gain access to the selection mode, u have to press the pedal for 30seconds with the engine not started....

IMHO ...cheers:top:

for NA cars with drive by wire throttle, depressing the pedal for more than 30 s will reset the tranny n throttle adaptation and u wont get a powderful start. only the tranny logic is reset.
For N52, there is a powerbox from the same tuner. It will increase HP & torque.

Top Bottom