525i vs 523i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
anyone left out the roadtax ? my 525i rm680 per year. 530i leh ?

Sorry, i'm out of the topic. You guys are comparing about car performance.... cabut.

B33mEr;386009 said:
530i bro :top: 300NM of pure torque ... higher if you go for the 3.0 N52 engine

even higher if u go for ess ts2, u get 340hp/420NM of torque :top:

Lexus GS350! :)

But on a separate note, i noticed no one mentioned that the E60 523i doesnt come with the "extended lights package"?

This is the LED's that shine below the window switch, illuminating the door pockets, the footwell when you open the door etc.

I dont know about you but im very fussy about interior mood/ambience lighting and i would pay extra money just to get these lights. So much so i went to the Lexus showroom at night for my 2nd test drive so i could see what the LED interior ambient lights look like.

I would get a 525i. If one can be comfortable with the M52 530i, why not the N52 525i which is only 10hp short? Power delivery is slightly different with the N series loving more revs and producing more peak torque in more places but really, theyre pretty much the same beast.

525i, 530i and even 545i/550i is not fast. They're just not made to be fast. Yes they have torque for overtaking manouvers but talking about being exciting drives just doesnt even begin.

There are many cheaper more "exciting" cars to drive if power is a priority which i dont think it is for c-square.

I still overtake fine on my Bentong - Raub - Gua Musang - Kota Bahru drives in my E60 525i. ;)

If you want something thats exciting, get a R34 GTR now. Can be had for the price of a new Camry? More sexcitement than an 18 year old girl can provide. :)

k3nny;386426 said:
I still overtake fine on my Bentong - Raub - Gua Musang - Kota Bahru drives in my E60 525i. ;)

Then you should have passed by my factory in Kuala Lipis... it's actually somewhere in Kechau area... near Mieco. Just be careful... a lot of accidents lately in this stretch :top:

k3nny, I wonder if you have even driven one of the cars you mention, I drive a e60 545i and it is an amazingly fast car. I had a Porsche 993 before this and my 545i would blow it out of the water, more fun more comfortable & the best car I have ever owned. When you say a 545i isnt fast 0-100 in 5.4 makes most people almost wet themselves, I have seen 230kmh and the car was still accelerating hard. The 530i does not have this kind of performance but most people will be more than happy with it.
k3nny;386426 said:
Lexus GS350! :)

525i, 530i and even 545i/550i is not fast. They're just not made to be fast. Yes they have torque for overtaking manouvers but talking about being exciting drives just doesnt even begin.

There are many cheaper more "exciting" cars to drive if power is a priority which i dont think it is for c-square.

If you want something thats exciting, get a R34 GTR now. Can be had for the price of a new Camry? More sexcitement than an 18 year old girl can provide. :)

jkortum;386573 said:
k3nny, I wonder if you have even driven one of the cars you mention, I drive a e60 545i and it is an amazingly fast car. I had a Porsche 993 before this and my 545i would blow it out of the water, more fun more comfortable & the best car I have ever owned. When you say a 545i isnt fast 0-100 in 5.4 makes most people almost wet themselves, I have seen 230kmh and the car was still accelerating hard. The 530i does not have this kind of performance but most people will be more than happy with it.

totally agree...:top:

jkortum;386573 said:

Actually yes i have. Ive driven the 545i and i also recently had the priviledge of trying the 550i LCI abroad.

I honestly dont think it is "an amazingly fast car". Im sorry. :) Its my opinion.

I test drove the M5 and even that i wouldnt say is an amazingly fast car. You want an amazingly fast car? Try my Veilside BNR34 GTR which i just sold about a year ago. I tried a Gemballa GT3 (passenger seat only sadly) and THAT is an amazingly fast car.

Even my very recently sold E46 M3 i would dare say felt much faster. The 545i only makes around 320hp i think?

So to answer your question, yes ive tried the 320hp 545i and even the 360hp (i think?) 550i and, i still maintain that they are not fast cars.

I believe that the power difference between a 525i and a 530i is negligible so much so that i would opt the 525i for its lower price tag and its m-sport bits.

But then again, my humble opinion. Im sure different people can find the 545i/550i fast. :)

But i havent tried a 993. Ive tried a 996 Turbo S and yes, that is fast, and NO you will not be able to "blow it out of the water" with your 545i. I guarantee you. ;)

anyway the 5 is a totally different beast for highway cruising at high speed and the sports car is for sheer acceleration & fun...cannot make a 1:1 comparison...

all this depends on driver...a wrong driver on the 996 Turbo S is not going to make any difference when it is pitted against the 545i which has the right driver...if u feel u are fast then there is always a driver faster than you...i have experience, a 996 Turbo got tapaued by an AMG E55 touring...

t2ribena: Sure, i most definitely agree with you. Different car, different purpose and different compromise.

But nonetheless, to label a 545i "an amazingly fast car" is not to contest its practicality or its purpose or its advantages. Rather it is saying that the car is "very fast" and "very fast" is a term that is very subjective depending on who you ask.

But as a general rule of thumb, with cars like the Cayenne Turbo/S and even Audi A4's/Golf GTI's knocking close to 300hp with so little weight lug around and modified cars like GTR's, Evo's and STi's, no the 545i/550i is not "an amazingly fast car". Not in my humble opinion im sorry.

With respect to the 523i, 525i and 530i, yes, it can be a totally different beast with the torque characteristics of a V8 powerplant and a world of difference but still isnt "an amazingly fast car". :)

My humble 2c. No offense to anyone intended. ;)

jkortum;386573 said:

Btw i forgot to mention. If im not mistaken and i didnt hear wrong from BMW Malaysia, there are not many 545i's in KL. Only 3 or 4 maybe?

One of them is WxL 123 and another CxF 11. Im not sure about the 3rd and 4th.

Which one is yours?

My 545i is WQS7257 it is a jap import as the Malaysian ones aren’t as high spec as the jap ones. I have taken it to Freddy and had it converted to local radio etc.
I agree with you that my ca wouldn’t beat a 996 turbo but that is a different car. i almost bought a m5 but settled on this for the comfort and extra cash in my pocket. I find this car an amazing drive and extremely fast with some comfort and it doesn’t stick out like a Porsche etc, it is nice to have a car with the performance but blend in.
Power and performance is all about people’s interpretation in this thread we have been talking about a guy who wants to buy a 523i or 523i and in that context the performance of a 545i is amazing, it would be different if you said the same thing in a Porsche turbo forum.
In regard to the 550i being not as quick the 545i was released before the m5 so BMW had that as their top performing 5 at the release. When the 550i was released the m5 was in the line-up and therefore they made it a little more sedate. I have read of many people who have traded up from 545i to 550i and been disappointed as the 545i was a bit more responsive.
I must say you are a very lucky man to have travelled so many great cars:adore:

jkortum;386788 said:
My 545i is WQS7257 it is a jap import as the Malaysian ones aren’t as high spec as the jap ones. I have taken it to Freddy and had it converted to local radio etc.
I agree with you that my ca wouldn’t beat a 996 turbo but that is a different car. i almost bought a m5 but settled on this for the comfort and extra cash in my pocket. I find this car an amazing drive and extremely fast with some comfort and it doesn’t stick out like a Porsche etc, it is nice to have a car with the performance but blend in.
Power and performance is all about people’s interpretation in this thread we have been talking about a guy who wants to buy a 523i or 523i and in that context the performance of a 545i is amazing, it would be different if you said the same thing in a Porsche turbo forum.
In regard to the 550i being not as quick the 545i was released before the m5 so BMW had that as their top performing 5 at the release. When the 550i was released the m5 was in the line-up and therefore they made it a little more sedate. I have read of many people who have traded up from 545i to 550i and been disappointed as the 545i was a bit more responsive.
I must say you are a very lucky man to have travelled so many great cars:adore:

jkortum:

You have a lovely car although with that kind of roadrax, you should have gotten the M5? :)

Ive never been a firm believer of the "jack of all trades" adage.

Instead of a 545i/550i/M5 at RM600 - 800k, i would be glad with a 523i that could serve my daily driving needs, good looks, id feel comfortable letting my driver or wife drive it etc etc and get a R34 GTR, Evo or something more focused for speed.

The bottom line is in my case, if i got a 545i or a M5, it would defeat several purposes.

1. I wouldnt let my driver drive it and fetch my customers or visitors from airport etc. I would have to do it myself or buy a company Camry.

2. For daily work use, the maintenance might come up to be abit high + fuel consumption.

3. Roadtax is a killer. Drive or no drive, it comes true and blue every year like your birthday.

If i got a 523i, i would have enough change to buy another sports car which can fulfill the need for speed and i would be okay with the above 3 criterias.

That said, i might be speaking out of envy and sour grapes because you're driving the 545i and im in the 525i. :love:

Nonetheless, you have an awesome car. Put on some mods (Alpina supercharger) and show M5's what the 545i can do. ;)

No im not that lucky. Just happened to bump into alot of rich people and being shameless like i am, i keep grovelling for a free ride. :D

kenny you seem to be missing ur GTR a lot...how's that feelin and did u regret sellin it? another forumer here also misses his subaru impreza a lot after trading it in for a 525i. i plan to own a jap sports car as 2nd car as soon as the economy picks up, whats ur opinion & recommendation? :)

ess530i: Regret. So very full of regret but i was very cash strapped and needed the money henceforth the need to sell her. :(

I think thats the best way. Ive always tried to maintain 1 sports car and i drive my 525i daily.
I just sold the E46 M3 that i bought off a fellow forummer also and now im feeling the itch for speed.

Only thing holding me back is my wife is expecting our second child and my first just started schooling so im really concerned about incurring additional expenses. :)

If i had a choice, i would suggest the R34 GTR if you havent tried it before. The car is cheap now, the parts are cheap, maintenance can get abit high but its slowly coming down and really, the power is second to none bar the new GTR imo for that kind of money.

Im hoping that the prices for the new GTR go down this year with the current economic conditions. If a rich man bought it at 700k last year and is willing to let it go for 450k now considering unreg ones can be had at 600k which means somewhere in the high 500k's, i will definitely consider.

700k, too high. 450k definitely a big bargain. Anything below 500k and i will snap her up. :)

But if you dont want to look at spending so much, i would recommend the "previous generations" of all the current japanese wrestlers.

The R34 GTR, Subaru V9 S204, EVO 8MR (I dont like the 9 and the MIVEC).

With the R34 GTR, i didnt end up getting the V-Spec/V-Spec II, just a regular R34 GTR and i did it up from there. Not that bad too. :) I think the difference is a helical LSD and some stuff on the interior? There is a thread on this at zth in the skyline club section.

If you are chasing high horsepower, then dont go for the S204 and just get a regular v9. Reason being is you'll end up swapping out everything that makes a S204 what it is for aftermarket parts. Might as well get a v9 at a lower price. :)

I like the Evo 8 MR or the Evo6.5 TME. ;)

If you do manage to get one of these babies, do share some info about her? :)

Top Bottom