525i vs 523i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

c-square

Club Guest
What is the difference between the 523i and the 525i? I believe both are 2.5litres. Questions are:1. Are both using the N52 engines? 2. Can the 523i be tweaked to match the engine performance of the 525i? 3. If yes, what kind of mod will it involve and how much will it dent the wallet? Cheers

At first c-segi was asking about audi vs beemer, now 523i vs 525i. Someone must be on the upgrade path. Anyway, IMO, c-segi, if can afford or can find a genuine 525i, go get that. Then you have no headaches in modding a 523i to 525i specs.

just bear in mind that 525 N52 engine is 218hp... 523 will be lower than the 200 mark...
525 comes with M-Sport bodykit while 523 don't...
price-wise... still need to explain??? :D

jarance;385616 said:
Oii.. stop asking so many question.. what your budget?

Aiyoo, sorry-lah Unker Jarance.... am trying to gather more information to avoid making uninformed decisions when choosing a replacement car (hehehehehe). Am definately not trying to be funny nor wasting bandwidth here when posting these questions. :shakehands:

thule;385634 said:
just bear in mind that 525 N52 engine is 218hp... 523 will be lower than the 200 mark...
525 comes with M-Sport bodykit while 523 don't...
price-wise... still need to explain??? :D

So, as far as the engine block is concerned, they are the same, ie the N52, just that the 523 is de-tuned to squeeze out less than 200bhp? If that is the case, then theoretically it can be (easily???) re-tuned to the 525 level, no? Please share your thoughts.

Cheers

c-square;385640 said:
So, as far as the engine block is concerned, they are the same, ie the N52, just that the 523 is de-tuned to squeeze out less than 200bhp? If that is the case, then theoretically it can be (easily???) re-tuned to the 525 level, no? Please share your thoughts.

Cheers

like flash said... what's the point tuning??? Get a 525.. end of story! You get a more powerful engine... semi-bucket seats... titanium trim instead of wood... bodykit... easily cost more if you were to tune the engine and change those accessories...
If you want to tune... N52 engine can't be tuned here just yet... not in Malaysia... as they don't have the software to remap your engine :D

and wud u think bmw is so stoopid to easily allow a person to readily and cheaply tune a 523i to 525i levels? i think they are using different manifold, ecu and maybe even changed some internal parts (iicrc from another forum). yes, theorectically you can do it but at what cost? unless you happen to have a junkyard of beemers to gather the necessary parts... hee hee... like mafia and the likes.

just do like what affan did, go the whole hog and get the 525i.... case closed.

thule;385643 said:
like flash said... what's the point tuning??? Get a 525.. end of story! You get a more powerful engine... semi-bucket seats... titanium trim instead of wood... bodykit... easily cost more if you were to tune the engine and change those accessories...
If you want to tune... N52 engine can't be tuned here just yet... not in Malaysia... as they don't have the software to remap your engine :D

c-square;385639 said:
Aiyoo, sorry-lah Unker Jarance.... am trying to gather more information to avoid making uninformed decisions when choosing a replacement car (hehehehehe). Am definately not trying to be funny nor wasting bandwidth here when posting these questions. :shakehands:

Ha..ha..ha.. So you are also upgrading.. Go for unker car... LOL:love:

C-square,

Get a 530i instead. Don't make the same mistake I did by getting a 525i. Engine displacement matters. You should be more ambitious than that.

Yeah I know nothing beats a higher displacement. However, I have to be brutally honest with myself in that I am not "well-skilled" to handle such powerful and fast cars, though it may be as tempting at times to get behind the wheels of one. I think a 2.5l would be just adequate at this point of time, until I gather enough skills (and ballz?) to be able to appreciate a higher cc ride. Besides, how often do I need to tap on the extra torque and hp that the 3.0 has to offer over the 2.5? Err... probably once in a blue moon when a blasted wiralution cucuk me and even then my ballz would shrink after 5 secs of intense acceleration and let the speed demon pass wishing him good luck. Bottom line is, I am uncle already lah (hehehehehe).
Anyway, between you and me, shhhh... I can't bring myself to dole out the extra dough for the 3.0 roadtax. It is just wrong !!! (hehehehe.... typical chinaman thinking lah. Accountant summore)
But, as mentioned at the outset, i agree the 530i would be a good fun and mean machine to have.

c-square;385915 said:
Yeah I know nothing beats a higher displacement. However, I have to be brutally honest with myself in that I am not "well-skilled" to handle such powerful and fast cars, though it may be as tempting at times to get behind the wheels of one. I think a 2.5l would be just adequate at this point of time, until I gather enough skills (and ballz?) to be able to appreciate a higher cc ride. Besides, how often do I need to tap on the extra torque and hp that the 3.0 has to offer over the 2.5? Err... probably once in a blue moon when a blasted wiralution cucuk me and even then my ballz would shrink after 5 secs of intense acceleration and let the speed demon pass wishing him good luck. Bottom line is, I am uncle already lah (hehehehehe).
Anyway, between you and me, shhhh... I can't bring myself to dole out the extra dough for the 3.0 roadtax. It is just wrong !!! (hehehehe.... typical chinaman thinking lah. Accountant summore)
But, as mentioned at the outset, i agree the 530i would be a good fun and mean machine to have.

Bro,

Just like you, I am also approaching my uncle years. My car also is typical unker car. Just 16 inch rims, no modification or what so ever. You don't have to drive like a mad man all the time to enjoy the 530i. The best way to appreciate this kind of car is not on the North-South highway but imagine driving to Rompin via Bandar Muazam on the trunk road with maximum weight. The extra power will come in handy when overtaking especially when the trunk road is filled with lorries. With the 530i, you know for sure you make the right decision. Because I didn't get a 525i, now I am itchy of getting an M5 because I believe there's not much a jump from 525 to 530. How wrong are you for you not getting the 530i? Why worry about the road tax when you are willing to pay a fortune for the import duty?(which was not listed in the price list). Isn't that a form of tax?

bro u have a lamborghini as your avatar...get a 530i at least! i'm sure u've the need for power within, u just gotta drive the right car to realize it. i know i realized my need for speed when i test drove the subaru impreza s204!

ess530i;385985 said:
bro u have a lamborghini as your avatar...get a 530i at least! i'm sure u've the need for power within, u just gotta drive the right car to realize it. i know i realized my need for speed when i test drove the subaru impreza s204!

I just found out that I was born in the wrong continent when I test drove Bentley Continental GT.:top: W12 engine some more. Damn syiok. But then again...

funfer_fahrer;386000 said:
I just found out that I was born in the wrong continent when I test drove Bentley Continental GT.:top: W12 engine some more. Damn syiok. But then again...

wei FF dont tok kok lah , join us for sungkai drive lah

go for 530 bro......................

530i bro :top: 300NM of pure torque ... higher if you go for the 3.0 N52 engine

Well I told you that you'll come back to a Bimmer. Glad to know that you will be rejoining the "expereince"!

anxious;386047 said:
Well I told you that you'll come back to a Bimmer. Glad to know that you will be rejoining the "expereince"!

shhhh........ (hahahahaha). Am suffering in silence with the present ride

Top Bottom