520D Routine Maintenance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

teighlour

Club Guest
Hi Sifus

I am curious about the maintenance of my 520D. I owned a pre-LCI model while my friend bought a LCI model.

My first maintenance was done at 12,000km and the second maintenance done on 24,500km. My iDrive still says i can go another 1,200km to service but i just got it done at 24,500km. After my service, my iDrive states the next service due is another 13,000km or latest by Apr 2017!!!

As for my friend who drives the LCI face-lifted model, his first service was done at 8,000km because he got a pre-reg model which already has 7,000km mileage. His next service was around 20,000km which he got it done just like last week. He mentions that his next service is next 10,000km as stated in his iDrive.

My questions are:

1. As we both are under the BSRI package, how come his and mine are different. Mine at 12-13K km interval while his is 10k km interval? The SC said that it depends on our driving conditions. My friend might have stuck in traffic most of the time? I dont find this a valid reasons. I got a 3 years BSRI but his is 2 years BSRI (he bought the car nearly a year old and at 7k km mileage).

2. Can we dont service our car for so long? More than a year? From my 12,000km service (1st service) and the 2nd service at 24,500km, I took 13 months to reach that mileage. I find it is too long to drag not servicing the car. Do you all think so?

3. Have any of you guys do service in between the free service under the BSRI package? Like now my mileage is 22,500km, until i wait for the next BSRI service at let's say 22,500 + 13,000 = 35,500km, I service at 28,000km under my own expense?

What i feel is that we are dragging too long to service our car. AB said our cars are built and designed to last that long. I find that because of the BSRI to attract buyers, they are prolonging the service and stretching it the the max. Maybe when the car is still new, there might not be any problems, but later when it ages, thats when the problem comes in because we didnt take care of our car when it was new.

Any advice Sifus.

Hi Teighlour,

1. As we both are under the BSRI package, how come his and mine are different. Mine at 12-13K km interval while his is 10k km interval? The SC said that it depends on our driving conditions. My friend might have stuck in traffic most of the time? I dont find this a valid reasons. I got a 3 years BSRI but his is 2 years BSRI (he bought the car nearly a year old and at 7k km mileage).

- I kind of agree with your SC on this. Based on my experience, the idrive counter adapts to my driving condition. For example, when I pick up the car after service, I have 12000KM until the next one. But after driving the car for only 3000KM, the idrive says there is only 6000KM until the next service, which means that the service mileage has reduced from 12000KM to 9000KM.
To give you some background, mine is a 2015 528i, and I drive a little over 100KM per day with really heavy traffic.

2. Can we dont service our car for so long? More than a year? From my 12,000km service (1st service) and the 2nd service at 24,500km, I took 13 months to reach that mileage. I find it is too long to drag not servicing the car. Do you all think so?
- I definitely agree with you, but again I think that it might be OK if the car is underutilized. It also depends on the type of the car I think. My wife has a 2011 323i, and the car has only clocked in about 21000KM. For this car, we strictly follow the idrive counter, which is once every 12-15 months. The car hasn't caused any problems so far thankfully.

3. Have any of you guys do service in between the free service under the BSRI package? Like now my mileage is 22,500km, until i wait for the next BSRI service at let's say 22,500 + 13,000 = 35,500km, I service at 28,000km under my own expense?
- I currently do this for my car. My BSRI seems to require service every 9000KM based on my driving conditions, and I do one in between (4500KM) at my own expense. Here is my service history:
28/3 - 4.5K
5/5 - 9K (BSRI)
13/6 - 13.5K
3/8 - 18K (BSRI)

What i feel is that we are dragging too long to service our car. AB said our cars are built and designed to last that long. I find that because of the BSRI to attract buyers, they are prolonging the service and stretching it the the max. Maybe when the car is still new, there might not be any problems, but later when it ages, thats when the problem comes in because we didnt take care of our car when it was new.
- I couldn't agree more with you on this. After all they are running a business.

On a separate matter (sorry to hijack your thread), I would like to ask everyone here if any of you has seen the same price difference between BSRI-claimed oil and non-BSRI claimed as shown here:
BSRI-claimed:
21246748592_033bbf1fc7_o.png

Non-BSRI claimed:
21069341078_c79b597246_o.png

Thanks.

stuff the bsri oil change and do your own oil change at every 10k kms if you are on full syn...you can only do the engine good with frequent oil changes....and maybe harm the environment more.....he he...everything's a trade off.....

Mine is at 12k km, pre lci. But, oil service will trigger with 2k km to go, meaning car has reached 10k km. i will make an appointment once i get close to 2k km and straightaway service within 10k km of driving. Earlier the better but at own expense.

Thanks for all your feedback, this helps to ease my mind on the maintenance.

Now coming back to Bro syamsulstar's post on the BSRI and Non-BSRI claims, where did you get the attachment? How come the price stated is different?

teighlour said:
Thanks for all your feedback, this helps to ease my mind on the maintenance.

Now coming back to Bro syamsulstar's post on the BSRI and Non-BSRI claims, where did you get the attachment? How come the price stated is different?
Hi Teighlour,

Those screen shots are actually from BMW MY Whitecard portal. I will try to ask them when I bring my car in for the next service. There is no mention of 5W-30 for BSRI-claimed oil. So could it be that they use different/cheaper oil? Anyway, I will check it out soon.

Put it this way, there is no way the SA will tell you the truth whether BSRI engine oil is 5W-30. I go to AB Sg Besi during BSRI and insisted to pay for the BMW recommended engine oil placed at the waiting area (SAE 5W-30 Quality Longlife 01, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4). It is RM118 per litre. They told me the centre is using Shell full syn 5W-30 but the engine response and acceleration totally declined ! I suspect the viscocity spec is not per BMW recommended. I have also tried to ask them to prove to me but only to be told it is in barrel form. Hence, I can only conclude BSRI oil is poorer quality and lower their costs ! Long term use of higher viscocity oil will damage cam lobes !!
Tell me if i have sensors on my butt to differentiate engine response and down shifts by using different engine oil spec. But again I stand by my feelings.
Anyone tried it, please share. (I cannot share the photo of the engine oil bottle here due to restrictions of size. Any other solutions ?)

Please do not follow BSRI recommended oil change because :

1. it is prolonged to save BMW dealers costings (camouflaged as environmental friendly).
2. our hot and humid weather deteriorate oil lubrication at faster rate.
3. we are constantly facing traffic jams (switch off the auto start-stop at all times coz our turbo fins and bearings need constant cooling and lubrication from engine oil).
4. you already need oil top up of at least 1 litre after 8000 to 10000 km.

I brought my car in for service last weekend, and I asked the SA about the discrepancy on the oil prices.

As expected, he said that it is the same oil. It is just that for non-BSRI claimed oil, they mark up the price to make profit. Whereas for BSRI claimed oil, they simply use "the distributor" price to claim from BMW Malaysia.

Hi guys, anyone claimed brake disc during BSRI? Mine will end soon, haven't approached SC For that. Mind share your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom