325i SMG

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

albertlwt

Club Guest
Hi,I want to change my SMG to manual, so i want to ask the pro here any suggestion and what i need to change.Thank you for the information.

Semi wanna change to auto ? as i know smg gearbox is same as m3. Basically both gearbox ratio is perfectly tune and installed according to 325 specification. If u really wanna change to manual, perhaps many modifications need to be done like, pedals mounting, gearknob position and so on. If im were u, i will possibly stick to original gearbox spec to avoid any effect on power and torgue unless there is other owners have done converted to manual so u can refer their experience. 1 thing i dunno wat is SMG stand for, is it Sport Mode Gearbox ? if it is so, meaning the gearbox is specifically design on this smg version.

SMG = Sequential Manual Gearbox.
The reason why i want to change is the pressure pump problem. So i was just thinking of change to manual instead of keep on changing the pump. (from my fren suggestion, convert to manual is the cheaper way to solve this problem)

thank you.

IIRC the e46 M3's SMG is the SMG II, different from the SMG I.

I believe that the pump failure costs a huge chunk of cash - so I guess depending on the cost of a manual swap, it could actually be a more cost effective method.

albertlwt;551345 said:
Hi,

I want to change my SMG to manual, so i want to ask the pro here any suggestion and what i need to change.

Thank you for the information.

You can but i don't think it has been done before. Not only the pedal mountings and the gear knob you may also need to change the cluster meter, g/box slave cylinders, sort out the electronics and etc ... pretty tedious and expensive. Easier to swap with a manual gearbox (if you can find) or swap in an auto g/box.

Having said that if you're really serious about it then go for it bro :top:

Top Bottom