320d Fuel Consumption

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

voltan

Club Guest
Hi 320d owners,Other than the unique high pressure common rail diesel driveability, I think the associated lower fuel consumption adds so much to this unique BMW model. So far a couple of members gave their fuel consumption that seems to work out lesser than the published BMW M’sia combined figure of 6.0 ltr/100km.For fun sake, may I suggest we do a more accurate yet standardised method of testing. A brim to brim fuelling up, drive to a standard distance of 200km. Aircon set at 20deg C and on Auto. This is not an economy test, but that of routine usage of your car and to determine its variation from the official average. For as we know, the fuel efficiency indicates the serviceability state of our car.To start with my 320d:- Distance = 200kmBrim-to-brim of Petronas diesel = RM24.16Cycle = 50% city & stop-go of federal highway and 50% light-moderate traffic highway.Therefore consumption of RM24.16 = 7.106ltr/100km or 14.073km/ltr. TQ

That's roughly 800km for every rm100. Impressive for a mix driving condition. Thanks

enkil;510167 said:
That's roughly 800km for every rm100. Impressive for a mix driving condition. Thanks

Yeah its cool to get that sort of mileage for a full tank. Diesel rocks! The 320i is rendered almost redundant now...sorry to say. My friend and fellow forumer has both the 320d and 320i and he says the 320i is just gathering dust now and he can't wait to sell it off. Less power, less torque, more bucks for fuel...what's the point?

I get around 6.5 l/100km for moderately aggressive driving

It is almost like magic :top:

Never thought there will be a sports beemer that we can drive enthusiastically all day and still have better fuel consumption than a Japanese 1.6l :)

Bring your rides to our next Official TT guys. Let me drool over your cars hahhahah.. Haven't seen the 320d at the TT's yet.

Cheers

i usually get around 800km to the tank mixed driving and tekan like mad down the highways ... so no complaints man.

Hi diesel lovers,

Not all diesel brands here are the same. Some barely meets the new spec and yet again some blends in the maximum additives that benefit the engines.

Having been dieseling since '90s, I hope to share a thing or two. In my opinion one of the best diesels in the market now is BHP. Their humble claim of putting in the maximum allowable additives is apparent when one drives with their fuel. Its cetane value may also be higher.

Smoother, quieter, more power or longer range, less smoke etc. Obviously the car's fuel pump, injectors, inlet & outlet valves, EGR, turbo, cat, engine oil etc work better. Of course your engine may last that much longer.

Give it a try.

Hi there... i just got my car 5 days ago... still running on my 1st Full Tank (caltex diesel), seems like the efficiency is not what we have spoken about. I just driven about 300 km and more than 1/2 tank is down. Th ebalance mileage shows another 250km. Looks like im gonna get about 550km for a full tank. The meter shows as well 10.1l/100km.

I just feel that something is wrong? I told my sales agent and h recommended me to sent it for a diagnostic check and to reprogram it again. Anyone experience this here ??

voltan;511693 said:
Hi diesel lovers,

Not all diesel brands here are the same. Some barely meets the new spec and yet again some blends in the maximum additives that benefit the engines.

Having been dieseling since '90s, I hope to share a thing or two. In my opinion one of the best diesels in the market now is BHP. Their humble claim of putting in the maximum allowable additives is apparent when one drives with their fuel. Its cetane value may also be higher.

Smoother, quieter, more power or longer range, less smoke etc. Obviously the car's fuel pump, injectors, inlet & outlet valves, EGR, turbo, cat, engine oil etc work better. Of course your engine may last that much longer.

Give it a try.

Thx voltan, been using Petronas all tis while

kuganath;513890 said:
Hi there... i just got my car 5 days ago... still running on my 1st Full Tank (caltex diesel), seems like the efficiency is not what we have spoken about. I just driven about 300 km and more than 1/2 tank is down. Th ebalance mileage shows another 250km. Looks like im gonna get about 550km for a full tank. The meter shows as well 10.1l/100km.

I just feel that something is wrong? I told my sales agent and h recommended me to sent it for a diagnostic check and to reprogram it again. Anyone experience this here ??

It will take some time as the OBC is computing and taking the average. You've just driven for 5 days. Top-up and continue driving. After about 2 weeks or so, then it will stablize. :wink:

kuganath;513890 said:

Congrats on the purchase! :top:

It seems odd to get the high fuel consumption you are getting unless you get stucked in traffic jams a lot. So far I have been using Shell and Petronas and my fuel consumption is at least 800 km per full tank for mixed driving conditions.

MSport;513933 said:
It will take some time as the OBC is computing and taking the average. You've just driven for 5 days. Top-up and continue driving. After about 2 weeks or so, then it will stablize. :wink:
Zhul, thanks for the encouragement. I was a little taken aback with the consumption... will at least test on few more full tanks and then decide what this baby produces !!! else its going in the Service Centre again for a checkups.

P/S: I was not much in a traffic jam, i would say normal KL/PJ mixed driving conditions.

question : How does the average per/ liter being calculated. Once i pump in full tank, i reset it once, do we need to reset it at every drive to see the differences?

since, i am going to get my 320d soon, which brand of diesel we should go for?
1) petronas
2)shell
3)bhp
4)caltex/esso ?

kuganath;513986 said:
question : How does the average per/ liter being calculated. Once i pump in full tank, i reset it once, do we need to reset it at every drive to see the differences?

Usually, i would reset it once every few months, just to see any diff. Usually, it will be the same. Of course, sometimes if going out of state, then I would reset it just to know how low can you go. :love:

kuganath;513890 said:

I'm sure you are aware that no two persons' driving techniques would give the same fuel consumption.

Notwithstanding the techniques, if your car is brand new, you need to run-in the car correctly and "teach" the ECU and gearbox your driving style.

Only then can you honestly seek technical fault finding on your car. It could just be a simple binding brakes or a still tight piston.

But as a forumer said, give it time. But I add with PROPER running-in before an engine oil filter and oil change to 100% synthetic of the right grade. Then reassess you consumption.

Please give a feedback for us to assist.

cklein;514002 said:
since, i am going to get my 320d soon, which brand of diesel we should go for?
1) petronas
2)shell
3)bhp
4)caltex/esso ?

For me Petronas is first choice followed by Shell. Not much difference between the two in terms of fuel usage.

Petronas still sponsors Z4 racecars :top:

Top Bottom