320d e90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
My apologies to Mat6689. There is a dipstick!

(I have taken pictures of the dipstick. Anyone can teach me to post them on this thread? Cant seem to do so with the new format)

Omg.. And all this while i never bother to check anything under my hood. Guess tech makes u forgot to do it manually. Thanks for the info. Will check mine once back in malaysia

My resolution nxt year: to learn my car in and out rather than only pouring fuel and drive :)

RCBL;589059 said:
My apologies to Mat6689. There is a dipstick!..

Yes, BMW realise the mistake on the N46 and N52 as the oil level sensor most of the time, unreliable. The 320d has a dipstick.

HaHa.. finally, the dipstick is clear to everyone.....

RCBL, no mentioned. this is what the forum is for.

Anyone check whether there is smoke come out from the "dipstick" or engine oil cover ? Don't worry, you can open it while the engine is running. But, PLEASE do not floor your acceleration pedal or pull the acceleration string while "dipstick" or engine oil cover is open.

MrBig, I'm interested to know the expert who can do a good flush on engine. please share. :)

mat6689;588481 said:
All, I have a serious problem after changing engine oil at AB. The engine is vibrating like an old engine. Worst still, if taken out the engine oils measurement stick, you can see white smoke coming out.

Checked with my mechanic, he said this could be piston ring is "burning". Checked with AB again, they said this is normal for Diesel engine (320D). Can anyone of you help me to check if your engine is "smoking" ?

I thnk smoke coming out of engine oil cover or dipstick is normal when the engine is hot. u know how hot is the engine oil when you have just driven the car? I cant understand how piston ring can burn but engine oil get hot bcos of the friction between the ring and crankcase. that is normal. If piston ring oredy kaput then u can see your engine oil escaping through exhaust and u have to top up the oil very often. otherwise why is there a problem?

mat6689;589526 said:
HaHa.. finally, the dipstick is clear to everyone.....

RCBL, no mentioned. this is what the forum is for.

Anyone check whether there is smoke come out from the "dipstick" or engine oil cover ? Don't worry, you can open it while the engine is running. But, PLEASE do not floor your acceleration pedal or pull the acceleration string while "dipstick" or engine oil cover is open.

MrBig, I'm interested to know the expert who can do a good flush on engine. please share. :)

Ha ha ha....as clear as daylight mat6689

Opened my engine oil cap right after turning off my engine, I do see some white smoke like steam. However, engine behaves normally & idling is like a diesel engine with the usual diesel clatter. I do not feel any lost in engine power though. Any owner diesel owners can confirm the same?

found the dipstick (which i had originally misinterpreted as the coolant reservoir buoy (oops!)) i've learned something through the thread - least of which is the need to open my bonnet more often!
no steam/smoke from either the engine oil cap or dipstick for mine though. RCBL - no loss of power yet for me but still early days, running at 5000kms at the moment. Had an oil/filter change at 2000kms.

How would an engine flush help alleviate? Thinking out loud, the problem seems to have surfaced after an oil change, what could be the cause?

Maniac;589961 said:
found the dipstick (which i had originally misinterpreted as the coolant reservoir buoy (oops!)) i've learned something through the thread - least of which is the need to open my bonnet more often!
no steam/smoke from either the engine oil cap or dipstick for mine though. RCBL - no loss of power yet for me but still early days, running at 5000kms at the moment. Had an oil/filter change at 2000kms.

How would an engine flush help alleviate? Thinking out loud, the problem seems to have surfaced after an oil change, what could be the cause?

like supersonic said, its normal to see smoke coming out from the engine oil cover when engine is hot. I do see some smoke only after really hard driving. So far from my OBC, no oil lost at all and from the newly found dipstick, engine oil level is at maximum level. Currently at 17k KM, I am due for another oil change soon and my last oil change was at 10k KM. With no power & engine oil lost, it would seem to be normal. However, will bring this matter up when I bring my car to the SC for my next oil change.

Guys, I really can't accept to see smoke come out from the engine chasiss. Think you all know how hot is a turbo engine especially those Evo and STI. But I never seen any smoke from a STI.... :-(

the smoke come out from my engine is not only after drove, it is when i start the engine in the morning, funny enuf, after a long or short drive, the smoke is not as much or thick like morning start.

mrbig, please share the good mechanic who can do a good flush. Many many thankssss...

mat6689;590139 said:
the smoke come out from my engine is not only after drove, it is when i start the engine in the morning, funny enuf, after a long or short drive, the smoke is not as much or thick like morning start.

Mat, since you haven't gotten any help from the diesel bros, let me try. The above indicates that it happens more when the engine is cold, not hot. It's very easy to confuse white with blue smoke, as anything not black seems to be white. So check precisely.

What's the condition of the smoke: white with diesel smell and hangs in the air (vapourised diesel) or white with no smell and dissipates (steam)? If the former, it could be: injector problems, timing problems, low engine compression or a faulty fuel pump. If the latter, it could be a blown head gasket, allowing water to seep into the engine. If it's blue smoke then it's burnt engine oil. Your mechanic said maybe burnt piston rings, so he suspects this, caused by blow-by.

Since your engine is vibrating, I would suspect misfiring, and any of the above can cause it. Your car should be under warranty and BSRI, so why not send it in to a dealer to check? Avoid the dealer who said "it's normal" :wink:

schwepps..

i think Mat is referring to smoke from the engine.. through the dipstick hole. he he
i'm sure all cars will emit some smoke when u open the oil cover or dipstick if the oil temp is hot enough

It sounds like Mat's is more than the norm, and there's more when the engine is cold than when hot. If it's exclusively vapourised engine oil from the top-end, then the underside of the bonnet and all engine parts will be oily. This could also indicate blow-by...or faulty valve seals. It's best for Mat to send it in as a smoky, vibrating engine indicates something is not right.

Aiyoo.. why open the engine oil cap when engine is hot la? Yes, you should see vapor-liked fume, I believe its water vapor

Don't tell me u open the coolant reservoir as well when engine is hot?!! :eek:

astroboy;590368 said:
Aiyoo.. why open the engine oil cap when engine is hot la? Yes, you should see vapor-liked fume, I believe its water vapor

Don't tell me u open the coolant reservoir as well when engine is hot?!! :eek:

...alooo ab ....:21::21::21: ..u did that one before kaa....:21::21::21:....
btw guys....whats say you all, we gather all diesel turbo owners and TT together while sharing some input on how to get the best out of our udm??? :top:

Schwepps;590193 said:
Mat, since you haven't gotten any help from the diesel bros, let me try. The above indicates that it happens more when the engine is cold, not hot. It's very easy to confuse white with blue smoke, as anything not black seems to be white. So check precisely.

What's the condition of the smoke: white with diesel smell and hangs in the air (vapourised diesel) or white with no smell and dissipates (steam)? If the former, it could be: injector problems, timing problems, low engine compression or a faulty fuel pump. If the latter, it could be a blown head gasket, allowing water to seep into the engine. If it's blue smoke then it's burnt engine oil. Your mechanic said maybe burnt piston rings, so he suspects this, caused by blow-by.

Since your engine is vibrating, I would suspect misfiring, and any of the above can cause it. Your car should be under warranty and BSRI, so why not send it in to a dealer to check? Avoid the dealer who said "it's normal" :wink:

:top:.....excellently put bro ... :):):top:...

Really? I thought BMW diesels are pretty smooth and you can't tell the diff?

Schwepps;590425 said:
Really? I thought BMW diesels are pretty smooth and you can't tell the diff?

... true to wht ab says, its not as smooth as the petrol but it should not vibrate like a std trucks or buses engine...as long as the mounting are in good conditions ....:wink:

Top Bottom