320d e90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mrbig

Club Guest
Sifu -sifu sekalian any body know what the best engine oil for turbo diesel ?dengar orang cakap, they (bmw service centers) use the same oil as the petrol engines !Huhhhh sounds like some thing not right !

Then what oil do you want to use - Shell Advance 2T ka? Why do you think the oil should be different for diesels?

Schwepps;586547 said:
Then what oil do you want to use - Shell Advance 2T ka? Why do you think the oil should be different for diesels?

Brader, Kalau tahu, cakap tahu !
Kalau tak tahu,cakap tak tahu !
Jangan berlagak macam tahu !:)

So why do you think the oil should be different for diesels? Kalau tak tau, cakap tak tau la! :)

Well i'm not sure about other maker but bmw definitely use the same type of oil as for petrol variant. Thats what i learn from ingress auto when i sent my 320d for oil change last month.

Dont think they will be dumb enough should it is not suitable isn't it?

Well, there are oils formulated specifically for diesels such as Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, etc. But they're heavy duty oils meant for trucks, primemovers, marine diesels and generators. The lack of friction modifiers in these oils makes them a suitable alternative oil for motorbikes with shared sumps. Your BMW 320d is a fine piece of machinery for which BMW formulated the LL-04 standard, but since we don't use 4M particulate filters here, the LL-01 used by the petrol engines is the correct oil to use.

Don't be confused by gossip and hearsay. ;)

hehe.. I only heard of 3M.. got 4M meh? 1M also I heard before.. :p

Heavy duty as in? long hour operation? Hauling a 3 ton cargo up Cameron Highland?

Schwepps;586860 said:
Well, there are oils formulated specifically for diesels such as Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, etc. But they're heavy duty oils meant for trucks, primemovers, marine diesels and generators. The lack of friction modifiers in these oils makes them a suitable alternative oil for motorbikes with shared sumps. Your BMW 320d is a fine piece of machinery for which BMW formulated the LL-04 standard, but since we don't use 4M particulate filters here, the LL-01 used by the petrol engines is the correct oil to use.

Don't be confused by gossip and hearsay. ;)

now you sound like a real pro ! Cheers

The correct engine oil for diesel powered BMW's is the one that meets BMW's LL-04 standard as it is formulated with diesel engine in mind.

Example of LL-O4 approve oil is Motul Specific LL-04, Castrol Edge and etc ...

These have been developed to guarantee an optimum service life for the particulate filter in diesel
engines. These oils are stipulated for all diesel engines with particulate filter, but may also be used in
almost all other BMW engines. Like Longlife-01 and Longlife-01 FE oils, they satisfy currently BMW's
most stringent quality requirements. Longlife-04 oils must not be used in BMW spark-ignition engines in countries outside Europe (EU plus Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein).

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/BMW-Oil-Specs-and-Recs.pdf - Good info on BMW's LL standard

List of LL-04 oils
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-686-bmw-longlife-04.aspx - Some of the oils you can get it in Malaysia like the LL-04 approved oil Edge 0W-40

Heavy duty as in more detergents to handle the diesel soot and more wear protectants to handle the long duty cycles of buses and trucks. No fancy friction modifiers required for these low rev engines. You want to use it (it's cheaper) in your 3-er, also can mah. Go Rotella!

LL-04 is slightly less protective than LL-01 so until the time when we adopt and ENFORCE (hahahaha!) Euro 4M emission standards, why pay more for LL-04 and get less engine protection, when we don't even use the particulate filters it's meant to protect?

I also have some questions with regard to 320d

What is the service interval? more frequent ?
Does it burn oil a lot and need topping up more frequently?

thanks

So far for driving 320d for almost 1yr , I did not need to top up the engine oil. The oil level always the same. For diesel engine we have to pay more attn on oil change coz the oil dirty faster. according to my meter every oil change is abt 14k interval but I will change a few km earliar than that. A mechanic told me that best to change every 5k to take care of engine.

Turbo cars are more demanding on the engine oil because its not only used as lub but as coolant for the turbo turbine. At night, the turbine is glowing red due to the high temperature, 3~5k km oil change is commonly recommended over the 10k km for NA engines.

astroboy, the official service interval for my 320d is 15,000 km. I believe it's 20,000 km on the 320i and 323i.

cool down boys..cool down boys...we are all gentlemen here..put those guns down..nobody wants to get hurt now..go back to your families now...

Totally Agree with your Mechanic advice... sapa dia ah ? should get him to look my Ediesel !

i personally think it should be for Fully Motor Oil 10 Thousand Kilo or 6 bulan which ever comes 1st !
but i somehow a rather to up 8 Thousand or Six bulan.

No if the right grade is correct ... no it should not unless engine is not sihat !

all koool & worite.... just some times need to spice up or else no fun mah brader !

Top Bottom