2nd hand e46 325 vs accord 09 2.0

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

matsheikh

Club Guest
HiI'm a newbie. Currently driving a saga se and accord 2.0 09 bought brand new past year. I've been itching to drive q conti ever since few years back when I owned an Audi A4. I've been reading this forum and others and now wondering what does the sifu here think or feedback to my plan to swap the accord with an e46 325. I'm after better driving dynamic, more involved drive, better performance (speed & handling) & better nvh. I don't mind the smaller cabin. Btw, e90 325 is over budget. The other car candidate is a Volvo s60 t5 and v50 t5. But then these 2 are even harder to find. So, any body here has experienced driving/owning both cars care to comment? I'm serious in this and the good thing is wife is also ok with the idea. Thank u in advance.

Definitely go for E46 325 if you want better handling dynamics and etc .... But be warned tho the maintenance part is what gonna get you ... Check out the maintenance thread and have a good long read ... If you think you can manage it then go for it bro, u won't regret it :D

p/s: do budget around 5k -8k to replace wear and tear item. Also check the gearbox as some owners have never even change the gearbox oil.

accord 2.0 09 vs. e46 325 vs. e90 325 vs. Volvo s60 t5 and v50 t5..."So, any body here has experienced driving/owning both cars care to comment?

errr..which both cars again? whats the budget again? whats the maintenance budget again? you just bought an accord last year ? cash or lease? if lease you will lose money but then again i'm just guessing, but is the difference worth it to trade with a second hand e46 325 only you can answer that bacause its not that easy to just say go for it. maybe the previous owner did care much for the second hand car and you may end up with a lemon...and may regret your decision later. think again.

B33 & hellraiser, tq for the feedback.

Hellraiser, I'd like to know comparison between e46 325 & accord 2.0 yr 09. I've read thru the forum & am prepared to spend $10-$15k for 1st service.

I've never owned a BMW before so I wonder how does a 6-7 yr old (assuming I find 04 or 03 e46) compare against a new accord?

Tq.

matsheikh;522506 said:

Hellraiser, I'd like to know comparison between e46 325 & accord 2.0 yr 09. I've read thru the forum & am prepared to spend $10-$15k for 1st service.

I've never owned a BMW before so I wonder how does a 6-7 yr old (assuming I find 04 or 03 e46) compare against a new accord?

Tq.

i wonder too...

I have a friend who sold his 1-1/2 year old Honda Accord 2.4 for a 2001 e46 325 in mid 2008.
He just sold his e46 recently for a Toyota Camry and said e46 is a stupid car.
Reason, spend lots of money on mods then kena gearbox problem, kena top overhaul and so many other things untill cannot tahan.

No one can estimate how much to spend now and then how much to spend one year later. you may end up spending very little, who knows.

So, be prepared for the worst and make sure you have time for it. Otherwise, you may end up cursing the car or maybe us too.

matsheikh;522506 said:

Tq.

elixir;522701 said:
I have a friend who sold his 1-1/2 year old Honda Accord 2.4 for a 2001 e46 325 in mid 2008.
Reason, spend lots of money on mods then kena gearbox problem, kena top overhaul and so many other things untill cannot tahan.

No one can estimate how much to spend now and then how much to spend one year later. you may end up spending very little, who knows.

So, be prepared for the worst and make sure you have time for it. Otherwise, you may end up cursing the car or maybe us too.

Well said bro.. the best thing is to beef up your knowledge in searching/inspecting used e46.. my friend bought a used e46 320i, he managed to get an excellent condition car after a very long and thorough searching.. drove it for 2 years now.. and at a very minimal/ normal maintenance cost.. no major breakdowns..

so its not the car that is stupid ler but the buyer who never check. buy second hand car but expect like brand new...where can lah?

I've been going around town to few dealers in selayang & cheras area and nobody has e46 in stock. I've also browsed mudah and no new 325 been offered. Now getting a friend who's a BMW salesman to look for one.

I'm set to spend as much time possible in searching the car and to do thorough research before committing.

Hi Matsheikh,

you can try on yap brother !!! Look for nicky ~ he is a good sales guy !!!

thy hv all kind of used car ~~ location ~ sentul , cheras !!!

elixir;522701 said:

That friend sounds a lot like me. I sold my Waja for a 2001 E46 325 back in 2007. However, have never regretted it. Liked bimmers so much I sold my 2005 Accord 2.4 for a 530 back in 2008. Yes, maintenance can be quite high, but the joys and feelgood factor of driving the car outweighs the cost. This is in contrast to my Waja (Accord never gave any major problems though). Even though cost of Waja maintenance relatively lower, but the hassle and joy (or lack of it) of driving the car never made up for the trouble. Always ended up cursing the car.

If you love driving, you would pay for a higher maintenance to get a BMW.(of course at an affordable range) You will never regret it.

It takes passion to take good care of the CAR. It will reward you to the max till you smile when you drive.

if someone feel stupid doing such thing for their CAR, meaning that they are not enthusiastic enough. A vehicle which is much more simple & low in maintenance cost will suit them better, bear in mind don't demand anything like driving dynamics after that.

You just can't get both at the same time, if you need, gotta pay. it's that simple. if we observe enough, the system of our world is like that. My personal opinion.

Just wanna add though, that you should never place you or your family's welfare at risk because of a car. You know your own finances best, so you should be able to judge for yourself. If you think you can put aside about RM4K/year for maintenance, then go ahead. You're supposed to feel joy when driving the car, not constant stress over worrying how to pay for it! Remember, the devil is in the maintenance, not the car itself. For example, an old Ferrari F348 or F355 is now only about RM200-300K. Relatively easily affordable, for someone who can afford a new bimmer. But would you want to pay RM24K for its shock absorbers? Or RM10K for a cam-belt change? Not me..... :)

B33mEr;522446 said:
Definitely go for E46 325 if you want better handling dynamics and etc .... But be warned tho the maintenance part is what gonna get you ... Check out the maintenance thread and have a good long read ... If you think you can manage it then go for it bro, u won't regret it :D

p/s: do budget around 5k -8k to replace wear and tear item. Also check the gearbox as some owners have never even change the gearbox oil.

We here always hold to the words "Kalau takut dilambung ombak jangan berumah di tepi pantai kalau takut maintenance yang banyak jangan beli BMW beli jer kete jepun pakai sampai hancur..maintenance sikit jer" hehheehe.. 325 still ok 318 better think 10 times.

If you want an english girl with sexy dress ....go for conti...but the maintenance is high la...the skirt..lipstick...makeup...and blah..blah..blah....

If you want a Japanese girl with Kimono...go for Japan car....buy 2 kimono asked to wear it everyday....hahahha...not much maintenance...

matsheikh;522506 said:

Tq.

One thing that I can guarantee you ... Accord you can drive with peace of mind, just do the normal periodical servicing but BMW, every now and then have to take her to workshop.

Dont know which one is your priority, pleasure or cost.

after much thought and consideration (after few test drives and going around KL looking for the car), i've decided NOT to buy an e46 325.

The reason being i cant justify the asking price of >RM110k for a 6/7 yr old car.

Then most importantly i kinda fall in love with e90 320d.

Thank you for all the feedback. Now i'm just focus on getting the e90.

And yes, driving dynamic is important to me. A Japanese car is nice but it's missing the important ingredient. I want to enjoy driving and UDM will give me that.

matsheikh;527129 said:
after much thought and consideration (after few test drives and going around KL looking for the car), i've decided NOT to buy an e46 325.

The reason being i cant justify the asking price of >RM110k for a 6/7 yr old car.

And yes, driving dynamic is important to me. A Japanese car is nice but it's missing the important ingredient. I want to enjoy driving and UDM will give me that.

Good choice bro... Drove the 320D, quite a superb car in term of performance. However, I still have doubts on impact to the engine over long period of time. Not because of the car but the diesel quality in Malaysia.. Now its only Euro 2M. By 2012 it should be Euro4... buy after 2012 la.. :)

maximust;527150 said:
Good choice bro... Drove the 320D, quite a superb car in term of performance. However, I still have doubts on impact to the engine over long period of time. Not because of the car but the diesel quality in Malaysia.. Now its only Euro 2M. By 2012 it should be Euro4... buy after 2012 la.. :)

maximust, yup, I have the same concern too.

matsheikh;527129 said:

You only live once matsheikh...get the 320d, don't die a thousand times driving a Camry.:rock:

Top Bottom