1996 728i (E38) Restoration - My Journey

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ssmann

Club Guest
Fellow forumers/friends,It has begun. I sudah kena racun big time!!!!!This is what the car looked like when I got it December 2009........Follow me on my journey to see what happened next in March 2010....

Around March 2010, undertook the following: -

1. Upgraded to aftermarket headlamps from WRC
2. Full external detail to bring out shine (polish, claybar and wax)
3. Front windscreen changed
4. Rims and tyres from 16" to 18"

View this thread for details and pics http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34384&highlight=e38

Early May 2010, changed stock standard shocks to titans......

View this thread for details http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34798&highlight=e38

On 21st May, decided to go for full on interior detailing :rock:

Follow the thread below for before, during and after pics and process details......

On 21st May 2010, after much consideration, research and weighing options.....decided to go for full blown interior refurbishing. What's going to be done?????

1. Re-engineer all seats with full leather and re-pad
2. Interior spray all vinyl, plastics, lower dash, centre console, scruff marks and side step plates
3. All door panels to be reupholstered, re-padded and re-sprayed
4. Full master carpet detailing and steam clean
5. Door cushion lining detailing and steam clean
6. Steering wheel re-wrap and repaint
7. Custom made E38 ori replica carpet mat for the whole car
7. Remove old tint and replace with new tint all windows

Here are some pictures of the car before getting the strip!!!!

Notice how the interior looks slightly dated and stained. Not complaining, it still looks good for a car its age, but I like it looking awesome :cool:

More pics below, then followed by the "strip"

Pictures continued on interior before the strip.....

Take a good look....won't see it looking this way again:eek:

Now for the strip!!!

WARNING - this is painful. I watched it and I tell you this, if you ever contemplate going down this route, don't watch this part.

Imagine an E38 being bare naked?????? My hati really sakit........but am looking at the big picture. Each time I see them ripp something off, I imagine how it will look like in 2 weeks :rock: My way of distracting the mind!!!!

Painful experience...more pictures below

My journey home from the shop....I kept thinking, what if this went wrong and what if that went wrong!!!! Susah la....but I guess the next 2 weeks is going to be stressful for me....always worrying "what if"????

Stay with me through my journey........:smokin:

Bro,

Ask uncle Vincent to point you in the direction of comfort seats. Might as well since you are ripping stuff out rite?

There's no denying the need and improvement of comfort seats.

Bro,

Where are you doing all these interior detaillng? Hard to find interior detaillers nowadays. I am considering similar treatment for my E34.

Not so easy to retrofit comfort seats. Some wiring & modules need to go in too. Otherwise will have problems like airbag warning light comes on.

kevster30;524938 said:
Bro,

Ask uncle Vincent to point you in the direction of comfort seats. Might as well since you are ripping stuff out rite?

There's no denying the need and improvement of comfort seats.

Serjit, as for the wheels refurb. I did go to Wheels Recon. Will take you there to see in person what & how they do the job.

I would keep the interior beige. There is too much work involved and very very costly too if putiing in other colours like black, red or grey. By just simply adding a Red/Maroon piping to those seats & head rest will make a world of difference. Trust me.

The biege interior is something special for the E38(s). It's a rare commodity and therefore, hope it's left untouch.

More racun! This is the right time to get your paint job done. While the guys are working of the seats, painting should be in progress too. You don't want those painters to mess up the nice interior later on.

525i;524969 said:
Bro,

Where are you doing all these interior detaillng? Hard to find interior detaillers nowadays. I am considering similar treatment for my E34.

Bro 525,

Thanks! The work is being commissioned by Central Cushion Kepong. I spent alot of time looking at options and restorers. Here's my 2 cents review for others to consider, take note and also share learnings: -

1. Lucky Interior (Tmn Mayang) - very good set up, but not at all personal. They do high end luxury Wellfires, Jags, Maserati's etc. Their clients are taukehs with lots of dough. Whilst I think they will do a great job, their packaging and niche market is high end targetted

2. Newton Leather - its like ordering a McDonalds set meal. Literallly their packages are based on the size of your car and they embose their logo on all seats!!!! They can do the entire job in 1 day, so they tell me!!! Imagine that!!! Ripping out and putting back in one day???? I won't every trust that

3. Some other smaller fellas - no experience in such cars. They can manage the Msian mades and some Jap models. But not a classic like the E38 or any other UDM, IMHO.

These guys @ Central Cushion and the owner Chew are very personal and they know their work. Pay them a visit and see the cars they have there. Then make your assessment.

Cheerio!

Vincent Hor;524978 said:
More racun! This is the right time to get your paint job done. While the guys are working of the seats, painting should be in progress too. You don't want those painters to mess up the nice interior later on.

Bro,

Thanks!!! My take: -

1. Comfort seats - nice!!! However, as you mentioned there may be other issues to consider. I have asked Central Cushion to re-custom the countour and feel of the seats. I will be looking a little sportier in comparison to what it looks like now

2. Wheels - I really appreciate it. Let's wait till the car is ready and will be in touch. Thanks!

3. Painting - you mean external painting? I have met a detailer, Albert of ProDetailer. He saw the car and says the paint job has lots of potential and does not see a need for re-spray. I think so too. There are some scratch marks, but these can be buffed out he says.

Even if I repaint, how do I start this whilst the car is at Central Cushion? Grateful for thoughts.....

Thanks - S

Bro,

If Albert thinks the paint job is ok, then maybe you can save some moolah and just get it detailed, unless you wanna do a color swap. Otherwise, I'd just do a good detail job. Does wonders to the car, bro! :)

However, if you are going ahead with the paint job, and with George, he can do the wheel refurbishment as well, if its just curb rash. He did it for my RX8 and for my E38 with excellent results (For my RX8, he repainted my stock rims and repaired a curb rash on my aftermarket Weds Sports. For the E38, he refurbish one rim that had a curb rash.... on both cars, I can't spot the repairs anymore....) However, if it is something more serious like bent rims, then he may not be able to do it.

As for your interior, I initially agree with elwine, stick to the ori beige color. But since you are reupholstering the whole interior anyway, you may want to consider a slightly darker shade of the beige or tan. IMHO, I may work too. Still maintains a classy, but custom look. Also, a darker shade will not show dirt easily as compared to the ori beige. You can look up the bmw website and check out some of the interior color options.

Can't wait to see the "new" car! :rock:

If you can get hold of the latest BMW leather catalog, you may drool over. See if you can get your hands over the latest design of custom leather by BMW or Individual Leather combination for BMW. I tell you, the BMW designers are MAD fellas. But I like. hahaha

ssmann;524908 said:
On 21st May 2010, after much consideration, research and weighing options.....decided to go for full blown interior refurbishing. What's going to be done?????

1. Re-engineer all seats with full leather and re-pad
2. Interior spray all vinyl, plastics, lower dash, centre console, scruff marks and side step plates
3. All door panels to be reupholstered, re-padded and re-sprayed
4. Full master carpet detailing and steam clean
5. Door cushion lining detailing and steam clean
6. Steering wheel re-wrap and repaint
7. Custom made E38 ori replica carpet mat for the whole car
7. Remove old tint and replace with new tint all windows

Here are some pictures of the car before getting the strip!!!!

Notice how the interior looks slightly dated and stained. Not complaining, it still looks good for a car its age, but I like it looking awesome :cool:

More pics below, then followed by the "strip"

Hi ssmann,

How much $$$ are you budgetting for all these works? Sounds like a lot of work to be carried out. That's only for interior dude.

I would assumed your mechanical and electrical matters are 100% in mint condition already. Just wondering the rational of this.

Hi Andrew,

The paintjob decision tree is in motion. I will know by this evening the exact route am taking. This is not an easy one!!!!! Will update tomorrow. On the leather have gone with a lighter sade of cream and matching interior re-spray to bring out the colour. The colour is now in the new F02 cream leather!!!!

Hi Elwine,

Thanks bro! Indeed there are too many choices. Some of these leathers and colours not available to public. So have to choose within the shade available

Hi John,

Well, what I budgetted and what its going to cost me are 2 diff stories!!! Highly likely around 8k once done, thats excluding the paintjob. My electricals are doing well. Touch wood.

Cheers - S

It has begun......

As I type this car being stripped for painting!!! Yes, I decided whilst the interior is completely bare and waiting for the seats and parts painted, to undertake external paintjob. Also decided to change the colour :rock: Man this job started off as something small and over the past few days has quickly grown into a monster!!!

Colour choices = Crystal White, Tangerine, Burnt Orange, Vivid Blue, Pearl Black, Gunmetal.

I have made my decision after serious contemplation and time spent at the sprayer. Here's your chance to vote.....what colour would you choose to complement an E38 and make it look one of a kind????

Paintjob will take 18 days. So likely that my baby will only be ready mid June :motz:

gunmetal hands down, ive seen it on an E38 before with LED taillights...AWESOME

Top Bottom