116 - Need some advise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rott

Club Guest
Thinking of buying the 116 (fits my budget) soon but seems that there are some issues about it being underpowered. Need to know from the experts here on what kind of add ons can be done to increase some power for this model. If possible would prefer something that wont void the warranty - like the S Works for Mini?? Thanks.

don't think there's much to be done for the car.. 1.6 with a heavy body...

How about chipping or something like that without plugging a supercharger?

Chipping is a waste of money for NA cars especially one with puny engine. Don't bother, increase in power is hardly noticeable. Not much you can do really if you do not want to break the warranty. My advise for RM170k, get a faster car not neccesarily brand new, if power is what you are after. IMHO Cooper S is much better buy than the one.

Sadly, you'll just have to accept that you can't have it all on your budget. The usual brands might have an s/c kit (which may not be viable as 1 buyers looking for more power will start at 120i or 120d level) , but what's the point of shelling out so much money and running the risk of being unsatisfied with the results.

Anyway, with a manual 116, I'm sure you'll be having a lot of fun in the twisties, etc. even if the power isn't sufficient. For me, though I haven't driven a 1 yet, I'm certain it'll be a lot more fun than the E36 328 I had. More than enough power, but ultimately pointless in my eyes with the auto tranny.

I drove the 116i (M) last week. Powerwise, it's about the same as the E36 318i, and I think the spec sheet will tell you the same (around 110-115bhp).

If you want power for RM180,000, you are looking at the wrong car. Sure, with unlimited budget you can get lots of HP from the 1.6 engine - like stuffing it with racing internals and running a MOTEC (200+ bhp possible, just like those JWRC cars) or putting in a supercharger. Then again, you might as well go straight for the 120i if you want to go down that route. Horsepower ain't cheap ;)

You guys are right. Since most of my driving would be in the city, I reckon having a manual car with RWD would be fun enough. Cooper S would be ideal but 170k would probably be a 2 year old car plus though the 1 series is very cramp in the back, at least it has four doors. Hope to post more info once I got my ride.

I've been shiopping for a nice hot hatch too cos commuting in the city in my E46 can be a tad tiresome. Besides, I oso alwiz kena drive my more senior partners around and I don't tink they would bug me so much if I was driving a smaller car. The 116i looks good and in manual guise should be quite adequate. Otherwise go for the Alfa 147. There's a new Smart for Four being launched in 1.3L and 1.5L for RM110K but it ain't gonna appeal to your enthusiasts side.

Manual 1.6 147s should be just under Rm100k now. Tempting choice indeed. JBP, you back in practice ke?

Originally posted by wkwoo69@Sep 26 2005, 06:02 AM
Manual 1.6 147s should be just under Rm100k now. Tempting choice indeed. JBP, you back in practice ke?
Nolar. I'm referring to my partners in the financial advisory outfit... ;) How's the Swift doing? That's a funky spirited car ain't it?

Haven't bought it yet. Still puttering around in the Sentra. I'm waiting to see the price of the Sport, which has 125hp 1.6l. For 1060kg and a manual tranny, it's bound to be really fun. They're taking orders for manual 1.5 ones now though, but the Suzuki Msia salesperson said they're going to be conversions done here! Jeez....Checked out a couple of importers over the weekend. Lots of unreg R34 Gt-t (2.5) and S15s coming in, (all manuals) going for under RM150k. Aiyah, see how lah...

wkwoo, wan an S14? I think got one going for 70k, not extensively modded, just a different intercooler and I think never drifted!

Wah, S14 damn rare lah.....nice look too....but cannot lah... I have to buy a relatively new car. I'm very anti-maintenance costs now. I'm sure it had nothing to do with having a 328i before...hahahah!

Actually will be getting the car from one of those contest winners at a discount - so I was thinking of putting some of the "saved" money into some performance enhancements for the 116.

Will ride it for a while first but might be changing to a Cooper S in a year or so (when the prices drop to saner levels).

If you plan to sell it so soon, maybe you should just wait and get the S. I wonder if the 1 is easy to sell.

Calculated that already. Bought got some discount, so I guess sell that time maybe wont lose too much money.

Read from somewhere that DC might be dropping the smart brand in the future coz it is not making enough profit. Someone can verify this?

Originally posted by rott@Sep 27 2005, 09:59 AM
Calculated that already. Bought got some discount, so I guess sell that time maybe wont lose too much money.
sorry to be dragging you into reality but even with a 30k discount now you gonna loose your pants on this one one year on. That is if you can sell it in the first place.

do you really wanna bmw THAT badly?

my advice - walk away. Or is it too late?

reminds me of a friend of mine - got a brand new maserati coupe 200k off the sticker price from the franchised dealer here, which he tot was an exceptional discount for him only. A year later, took him 6 months to get rid of it and he lost 130k on it.

DC has dropped the smart coupe and the other sporty one. I think its a convertible. Smart isn't doing too well, but there's no plans to drop the whole brand (the forfour is so laughable, and looks too much like the mitsu).

On the 1, why don't you test drive it yourself and see if you'll be happy with it. With a good discount, it might be worth thinking about if you like the car. But without driving it, you'll never know. Tell us what you think if you get the chance, bro. You should also test the MCS if haven't done so already. Don't expect not to lose money even with the discount. Its a MANUAL SMALL ENGINE BMW.

Then decide lah.........

IMHO for RM 180K, get the A170 not the 116i, at least the 3 pointed star fetch a better re-sale value, big on roominess and the design is quite nice.

For pics..Latest A170 offered by MB., but be prepared for a long wait list...

The 1 series....it is doing badly in Malaysia..where can one see one?

Top Bottom