Zello Channel for BMWCM Events (Push-to-talk Apps)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Fireuz

Club Guest
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?52155-Anyone-Need-To-Buy-Walkie-Talkies[/url]
I have a naive suggestion.. For those do not have walkie talkie to setup, we can manage to install the push-to-talk apps for android and iphone named Zello. Featured same as wlkie talkie and easy to used with no range limitation. Just search in Play Store (for android) and App Store for apple products by simply type zello.. I already create one channel named "BMWCM-Raub Drive" and anyone please feel free to add this channel.. Basic internet subscrption is required to run this apps. See you guys there!!Current Zello Channel available:Event Name: December Official Drive To Raub, Pahang – Visit & Makan Quality DuriansChannel Name: BMWCM-Raub DrivePassword (if any): n/aAvailability period: 13-Dec till 16-Dec-2012

Fireuz,

Thanks for your initiative to introduce Zello. The main objective of having walkie talkie for the drive is to ensure all drive participants operate on the club's selected frequency to receive information/instruction from lead car, sweeper and marshall. Having said that, I don't think Zello is compatible with the club's operating frequencies.

It would be a good investment to buy a set of walkie talkie as offered by OM Wuk51.

Herbert;789760 said:
Fireuz,

Thanks for your initiative to introduce Zello. The main objective of having walkie talkie for the drive is to ensure all drive participants operate on the club's selected frequency to receive information/instruction from lead car, sweeper and marshall. Having said that, I don't think Zello is compatible with the club's operating frequencies.

It would be a good investment to buy a set of walkie talkie as offered by OM Wuk51.

Zello wont be in any frequency as it needs only data connection.
(app is developed to make it sound like walkie)
Anyhow,based from previous experience on drives, signal coverage for data/internet is a concern
Best bet is still a set of walkie talkie.

Herbert;789760 said:
Fireuz,

Indeed.. But the main concern I've tried to bring up was, for example the convoy member doesn'nt have the walkie talkie (for some reasons), the information about the convoy can still split up amongst member by set up the special channel in Zello, not to mention about the tapping frequency with club's frequencies.

For those who doesnt owned the walkie talkie, they can treat this apps as contingency plan, and those who have the walkie talkie can help to split the convoy infos thru this apps. By doing this, member who join the convoy eventually (unactive convoyer) have convinience option to go for communication-wise during drive.

Just my 2cents :top:

namidub;789761 said:
Zello wont be in any frequency as it needs only data connection.
(app is developed to make it sound like walkie)
Anyhow,based from previous experience on drives, signal coverage for data/internet is a concern
Best bet is still a set of walkie talkie.

Well said.. Thanks bro..
But based on previous experience as well, even with walkie talkie, the signal limitation also tend to led to communication breakdown. Just imagine with drive 140kmh in averange, lead car and sweeper will have atleast 8-10km apart, not to mention about terrain boundaries and cars per group. So, all I can says, this Zeelo thing is only my humble suggestion for communication option to new/unactive/pasive convoy member :rock:

Fireuz;789772 said:
Well said.. Thanks bro..
But based on previous experience as well, even with walkie talkie, the signal limitation also tend to led to communication breakdown. Just imagine with drive 140kmh in averange, lead car and sweeper will have atleast 8-10km apart, not to mention about terrain boundaries and cars per group. So, all I can says, this Zeelo thing is only my humble suggestion for communication option to new/unactive/pasive convoy member :rock:

Yeap. Agree on that. There are stil limitations nevertheless. A proper walkie-talkie is more like a long-term solution/investment for those who join drives frequently.

I dont own talkie walkie but my plan is just to stay in the convoy line as long as the line is not breaking up ...unlesss there are some want to rempit then walkie talkie is necessary to clear the incoming danger....hopefully everyone invoved is disciplinised enough to follow the encouragable speed limit.....those who want rempit do frequently join short rempit session organised almost every weekend...::smokin:

our oldie days of convoy ...lead , sweeper and the final car only is being equipted with walkie's ...but these days everyone also needs a walkie ...ummm kindda boring hearing one scream and another one shivering when the needle hits 260 km/h and some needs to a pee wee stop ....

the best is to keep the newbies at the front and let those kaki rempit last behind .... atleast the kaki rempits will know what to do .... :)

Thanks for the pointer bro :top: ... duly noted ... :4: ..

ICEMAN 68;789805 said:
our oldie days of convoy ...lead , sweeper and the final car only is being equipted with walkie's ...but these days everyone also needs a walkie ...ummm kindda boring hearing one scream and another one shivering when the needle hits 260 km/h and some needs to a pee wee stop ....

the best is to keep the newbies at the front and let those kaki rempit last behind .... atleast the kaki rempits will know what to do .... :)

Zello Channel for BMWCM Events (Push-to-talk Apps)

Salam and Hi to all fellow club members...

I would like to open this thread to share the Zello Push-to-talk channel for the club events / drives. This apps are totally OPTIONAL to members who want voice communication among each other at lower cost (Push-to-Talk Apps). Nonetheless, the using of walkie talkie are always recommended. In summary, this application is open to all users of android phones, blackberry, and Iphone with Internet/data subscription.
**Mod please advise if this thread may violate any of club Rules and Regulation, and I will remove it immediately. Thanks! :top:

With the availability of this thread, club members can share and circular the channel open for specific events.

The format of the circulars info:
Event Name: *paste the link if any
Channel Name:
Password (if any):
Availability Period:

a.png

System Requirement for Zello:
1) All kind of Android, apple product, and Blackberry phone.
2) Internet/data subscription.

How to install:
Go to your Play Store / Apps Store / BalckBerry App World > Search Zello > Download > Install > Sign up (simply register using you email address) > Find channel > Join Channel

FAQ:

Is it really free?
Yes it is. The application doesn't use your voice or SMS credits and sends voice using data connection. However some mobile operators will charge for data separately. Be sure to check with your mobile carrier on rates and data caps of your service plan.

How do I talk?
Select the contact, then press and hold push-to-talk button. After you hear the beep, start talking. Release push-to-talk button to stop transmitting.

Where is my push-to-talk button?
Left convenience key is assigned as push-to-talk by default. You can change it to use a different key in Options > Push to talk button. Click Set PTT button and then press the desired button.

How to start?
1. Make sure to wait for the beep before speaking.
2. Keep holding the push to talk button until you finish talking.
3. In Options | Audio make sure that Microphone is set to Built-in. If this doesn't work open system Options > Applications > Zello > Edit permissions and try to set all permissions to Allow.

Source

Can we make the channel become private?
Yes, we can set the password for channel(s). Only persons who have the password can add the channel.

==============================================================

Current Zello Channel available:

Event Name: December Official Drive To Raub, Pahang – Visit & Makan Quality Durians
Channel Name: BMWCM-Raub Drive
Password (if any): n/a
Availability period: 13-Dec till 16-Dec-2012

Cheers!!:rock::rock:

Just wondering the club official frequency was it a requested official reserved frequency? if not perhaps should consider using VHF instead of UHF. also ensure all transmit at 5 watt which is the average limitation of handy units.
Reason for VHF is further signal transmission rate.

slyder;789842 said:
Just wondering the club official frequency was it a requested official reserved frequency? if not perhaps should consider using VHF instead of UHF. also ensure all transmit at 5 watt which is the average limitation of handy units.
Reason for VHF is further signal transmission rate.

Think the reason why they choose to use UHF instead of VHF is that not all walkies are dual-band. Some are still using Kenwood & Motos which default range is 4xx Mhz. But I think settings for transmission rate for all can be adjusted to 5 watts.

Installing Zello now..

How to join the group? Like to join the group but cannot find it.

jarance;789899 said:
Installing Zello now..

How to join the group? Like to join the group but cannot find it.

Yeah.. after install and signup all, you go to Channel tab and click on +. Then try to find "BMWCM-Raub Drive". Hope this will help.

Been there done that.. I‘m one of those most cheapskate BMW owners that wouldn't spend unnecessarily.. but after 2 or 3 convoys, couldn't help it but invested in a walkie.. I dun join many convoys now but never regretted in getting a walkie. Love those moment when hearing the walkie screams.. “clear.. clear.. clear.. “ :4:

Fireuz;789901 said:
Yeah.. after install and signup all, you go to Channel tab and click on +. Then try to find "BMWCM-Raub Drive". Hope this will help.

OK got it.. Testing testing. and got "testing again". last message can be replay if in case you missed it.

cool even if I cant join the drive I can monitored the conversation. It would be nice if can see the durian and smell it too.. LOL

jarance;789916 said:
cool even if I cant join the drive I can monitored the conversation. It would be nice if can see the durian and smell it too.. LOL

Exactly! People who unable to join the drive also can feel the same as join the events. Hope this features can be one of the attraction tool to promote our club's event, especially when we do have a loads of joker commentor :34:

Good idea bro. But I think the walkie will work best during drives, cos during the drives not all areas are covered by the mobile data nor 3G service. The walkie will work better. Try using it in Fraser's hill climb, bet it will have no signal.

Maybe KL and develop towns will have full coverage.

Top Bottom