wobbly front tyres

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

khalil_sow

Club Guest
some advice from bimmer world needed.I have a problem with front tyres. Tyres start wobbling at 100kmh. Have changed upper and lower arms, front brake discs, just balanced tyres and alignment, and front end lowered. problem still persists. mechanic says its my rims, but had them checked, not bengkok. need help, it's driving me bonkers!on the side, anyone supercharged a E34 525i yet. would really be interested to know.

yes, arms, discs, alignment and balancing done to both tyres. as for which wobbles, feels like both as far as i can tell. also does the same when i brake from anthing above 80kmh.

Originally posted by khalil_sow@Jul 10 2006, 04:35 PM
yes, arms, discs, alignment and balancing done to both tyres. as for which wobbles, feels like both as far as i can tell. also does the same when i brake from anthing above 80kmh.

Check your brake discs.... hard driving + cold water may be the cause. Sounds like it, if the problem occurs from a 80 to 0 braking point.

Originally posted by khalil_sow@Jul 7 2006, 10:33 PM
some advice from bimmer world needed.

I have a problem with front tyres. Tyres start wobbling at 100kmh. Have changed upper and lower arms, front brake discs, just balanced tyres and alignment, and front end lowered. problem still persists. mechanic says its my rims, but had them checked, not bengkok.

need help, it's driving me bonkers!

on the side, anyone supercharged a E34 525i yet. would really be interested to know.
What's not too clear to me is, does it wobble when you drive at 100kph, or does it wobble when you brake?

If it wobbles when you drive, why would you suspect the brake discs? I assume it judders when you brake as well, which I think ur brake disc work would address.

Next, I assume it wobbles when you drive, at above 100 kph. And you've done many things to the suspension components, as well as balancing and aligning your rims and tires.

What I would suspect next, assuming all the above did not yield improvement, is that the tire is not even, i.e. has a 'lump'. This can happen, even with brand new tires.

You suspect the front. I assume you can feel the 'wobble' in your steering. Else, it is the back tires.

Easy way to narrow it down to rims/tires is to swap the front with the back and see if it alters the behaviour of the wobble, i.e. if you felt it in the steering before the swap, but not after, and car vibrates as a whole instead, this confirms it was the front tires/rims.

If so, to confirm whether it is the tires or the rims, swap the tires, but not the rims, and check for any difference.

You might want to also check the inner part of the tire, and see whether the tire wall is damaged in any way, which can happen if the car has been driven while having a puncture, or has been kerbed hard before.

I had the same problem and it was root caused to the arm bush 2months ago. When mechanic hoisted up the car, visually and physically there's no sign of wear on the bush at all though!! After changing that, problem disappeared.

Initially steering vibrated violently only occassionally under braking condition at around 80 to ~90kph. So suspected warpped disc but then it did not always happen. One day I took a corner w/o braking and the same vibration happened. That really let me narrowed down the possible causes...

You can search for "arm bush" in the forum for this topic. Also bmwe34.net recommends using the green-colored arm bush (for 7-series), instead of the blue-colored ones meant for e34.

car wobbles at 100, and also when braking. front tyres are actually only a few months old. the wife actually uses the car, so not much hard driving, or so she says !

will see to the tyres and bush. thanks for all the advice. hope it solves the problem, it's ruining an otherwise solid ride.

Originally posted by khalil_sow@Jul 7 2006, 10:33 PM
some advice from bimmer world needed.

I have a problem with front tyres. Tyres start wobbling at 100kmh. Have changed upper and lower arms, front brake discs, just balanced tyres and alignment, and front end lowered. problem still persists. mechanic says its my rims, but had them checked, not bengkok.

need help, it's driving me bonkers!

on the side, anyone supercharged a E34 525i yet. would really be interested to know.
My tyre guy told me that vibration above 100km/h is usually attributable to the rear wheel/tyres.

I suggest you also check your wheel bearings, and do on-wheel balancing for the front tyres.

Originally posted by khalil_sow@Jul 11 2006, 02:36 AM
front tyres are actually only a few months old.

Just a short note:

Brand new tires can also have defects.

Hope u solve ur problem. Good luck.

Try on wheel balancing first.

Off wheel balancing only check the balancing of the tyres and rims.

If you do on wheel balancing, the tyres and wheel will rotate
on you car. This will enable you to determine which tyres is actually
wobbling. From there you can check the following:-
1. tie rod
2. control arm
3. brake disc
4. engine mounting
5. suspension bushing. (yes this also contribute to vibration)
6. wheel bearing.

most of the above can be checked out at any reputable tyres shop.

Sugguest that try the "shah alam tyres shop" located at kayangan Hill roundabout.

jarance said:

1. tie rod
2. control arm
3. brake disc
4. engine mounting
6. wheel bearing.

Sugguest that try the "shah alam tyres shop" located at kayangan Hill roundabout.
checked all as mentioned, and all ok. got rid of the judder when braking. now i need to rebalance on wheel as you mentioned. besides kayangan hill roundabout, any good tyre place to do on wheel balancing near bandar utama area

khalil_sow said:
checked all as mentioned, and all ok. got rid of the judder when braking. now i need to rebalance on wheel as you mentioned. besides kayangan hill roundabout, any good tyre place to do on wheel balancing near bandar utama area

Drive a little further along LDP and goto Sunny Car Care Centre at Taman Mayang (?)

agree with Nik, check the steering tie rods... the bushes may be worn out which causes the vibration and also you would have some free play in the steering....

jarance said:

1. tie rod
2. control arm
3. brake disc
4. engine mounting
6. wheel bearing.

Jarance,

How to determine all those 6 factors when balancing (AFAIK) are done off the car?

thanks. will try.

tie rods, front brake discs, bushes, lower and upper arms all new. if after all this, problem still persists, then probably is the tyres themselves. in which case, have to tahan as tyres are also relatively new!

unless it's the rims ? aiyo!

Hi Jarance,

i have the similar issue for quite some time and tried to live with it but, cant.

i have change all the arms front,lower,tierod, stabilizer bar. Went to check with a tyre shop and he tried to wiggle the front tyres to check for freeplay. he told me that the absorber mounting on the left was gone coz the wheel was quite loose. It was done!! I changed it and only it as all the other parts like absorber dan lain lain were new.Even i have changed the brake disc and pads(ori) . Similar soft wobbly still able to feel at 100km/h, but its still there :banghead:

well.. back to my question.. i dont understand how does the wheel bearing can affect the freeplay of the wheels while i tried to search this issue in this forum. Do you encounter similar problem and solve it with replacing the wheel bearing ? btw, i havent change the bearing.. was thinking to do today but the workshop nearby busy..

This elimination game is going no where for me!! not to mention that i have been to 3 different tyre shop and made countless times of off wheel balancing. well the last one was the one whom told me about the blardy abosorber mounting.

Just to find out more..

e39-Boy;547442 said:
Hi Jarance,

i have the similar issue for quite some time and tried to live with it but, cant.

i have change all the arms front,lower,tierod, stabilizer bar. Went to check with a tyre shop and he tried to wiggle the front tyres to check for freeplay. he told me that the absorber mounting on the left was gone coz the wheel was quite loose. It was done!! I changed it and only it as all the other parts like absorber dan lain lain were new.Even i have changed the brake disc and pads(ori) . Similar soft wobbly still able to feel at 100km/h, but its still there :banghead:

well.. back to my question.. i dont understand how does the wheel bearing can affect the freeplay of the wheels while i tried to search this issue in this forum. Do you encounter similar problem and solve it with replacing the wheel bearing ? btw, i havent change the bearing.. was thinking to do today but the workshop nearby busy..

This elimination game is going no where for me!! not to mention that i have been to 3 different tyre shop and made countless times of off wheel balancing. well the last one was the one whom told me about the blardy abosorber mounting.

Just to find out more..

Try to run with other set of rim.

Top Bottom