e39 Steering "Shimmy" at 80-120km/h

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
buy another E39 owner a drink. pick a damn well maintained E39. then swap rims/tyres with him for couple hours. you just might find it revealing.

p/s - our new club sec drives a very pretty one ;)

herbert;472446 said:
Are you sure because I bought mine RM80.00 per piece at BA.

Do you have a photo of it?
Or did you mean the rod's bracket/bushing/etc instead of the rod itself.

I swapped to 16" rims at Consistent Distinction. Vibration still there but not as bad.
So, I basically eliminated that the rims/tyres were the culprit.

Tie rods are cheap. That stabiliser rod sounds expensive to me...

try cleaning bearings of both driveshafts (diff to hub) and pack em with fresh grease. an inexpensive experiment.

IsaacVky;472457 said:
Do you have a photo of it?
Or did you mean the rod's bracket/bushing/etc instead of the rod itself.

This is the stabilizer rod which cost RM80 per piece from Bavarian Auto.

changing abs as I write, right now to Koni Yellows.
Will see how it goes. Confirmed one side of abs jamming up.

Rod, bearings look ok. Thanks for the tips.

koni yellows fitted at softest setting. Vibration gone. Once alignment done, I think this machine is gonna burn the roads again!!! But, makan pasir for a few months la...

hi Affan66, mind if I ask are you using koni yellow with the original E39 springs or you have lowered using eibach or Msport springs? Can Koni yellow be fitted with Msport springs? Thank you!

affan66;471970 said:
Folks,

I have this problem. Steering shimmy or wobbly at 80-120km/h. Yes. This is the famous E39 problem and I have had this for a few months already.

Searched on the Net and here and had done the following:

1. Changed brake discs (front and back) and pads
2. Off/On-wheel balancing and alignment (Batu Caves, Manji, Loke Yew shop) both front and rear tires
3. Change rims!!!!!
4. Check for hub space - a few already said no need to put hubcentric cone
5. Bearing - no problem
6. Change front lower arm bush
7. Adjust tyres around rim (positioning)

Did not change tyres because they are new and don't have any bulges. I am using CSC3s.

Based on research, there could be one more thing I need to do which is to change the thrust arms. These are still quite new (less than 2 years old) and show no signs of leaks or worn bushings.

Any suggestions from the sifus here?

might be worth checking the longshaft rubber coupling as well...

Update:

Changed to Koni Yellows. Yummy.... Nice corners and all... Vibration, I think is gone. Now because of the firmer suspension, I get more feedback.

Fandango, thanks for the advice. I'll check on the longshaft rubber coupling too.

While changing the absorbers, I also changed the absorber mountings, rear suspension link rods, repacked the driveshaft covers and bearings.

affan66;472627 said:
koni yellows fitted at softest setting. Vibration gone. Once alignment done, I think this machine is gonna burn the roads again!!! But, makan pasir for a few months la...

anyway ..u makan pasir or maggi also will look the same ...

glad that your ordeal is over ...

koni yellows ...nice ..how much ehh ?

affan66;474703 said:
Update:

Changed to Koni Yellows. Yummy.... Nice corners and all... Vibration, I think is gone. Now because of the firmer suspension, I get more feedback.

Fandango, thanks for the advice. I'll check on the longshaft rubber coupling too.

While changing the absorbers, I also changed the absorber mountings, rear suspension link rods, repacked the driveshaft covers and bearings.

Affan, you change almost every thing so cannot really says the absorber is the culprit. How was the condition of absorber mounting when it was removed. any sign of grease stain?

guys...now it is my turn to have this wobbling steering and 80Km/h driving straight.. i just downgraded from 18" to 16" due to the discomfort. Read all the info in this thread where i have just replaced all the arms connecting to the front knuckle. Tie rod, stablizer rod, front lower and upper arm today.. and i thought that everything will be solved where my front rims+tyres has been on the balancing machine for 3 times !!

However there is still one thing where i'm using Bilstein B4 with Eibach spring, could this be the problem ? i hope it is, cause it is the last thing left to try ... Anyone ? sigh:17:

update :

just done my springs from Eibach ProKit to standards with B4 Bilstein...still same... now narrows down to

1. Rims ori BMW
2. Tyres - conti year 07
3. i dont know if steering rack will cause this
4. Brake Disc - but i have tried emergency brakes and it is ok. no shuddering.
5. Ada hantu...

sighh....

e39-Boy;540378 said:
update :

just done my springs from Eibach ProKit to standards with B4 Bilstein...still same... now narrows down to

1. Rims ori BMW
2. Tyres - conti year 07
3. i dont know if steering rack will cause this
4. Brake Disc - but i have tried emergency brakes and it is ok. no shuddering.
5. Ada hantu...

sighh....

1 and 2 are the suspect. Easy way, try to switch the rear to the front and see how.

hi bro, im having the same prob too.. change from 18 to 17.. still same prob.. change to 18 with diff rims.. still the same.. any idea?

Top Bottom