..wider back tyres..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ecc0

Associate Member
..i was thinking to install pair of a bit wider tyres on back wheels, then tyres on front wheels of my Z4..now..im not quite sure is that wise idea and does that affecting vehicle stability/control on any way? Any suggestions ?

It depends on how wide you want to go ... What's your current setup? adding 10mm width shouldn't cause any problem

is the Z4 available from factory with staggered wheel setup? if so, recommend you follow BMW's specification. wheels from the Z4M perhaps..

EccO, I never used to venture into a staggered set up for fear of not being able to rotate tyres and costly tyre changes. Then I took the plunge when I saw an awesome set of rims that I wanted, they had a staggered set up. Ever since I used this set up, I have sworn I would go no other way but stagger, off couse, within tolerable spec so as not to cause driveability issues.

Go for it within spec and you will enjoy the bends.

U need to replace the rim too. Those are called staggered set up. U sacrifice the ability to perform front/back tyre rotation to maximize tyre wear but your cornering handling will improve tremendously on dry tarmac.

astroboy;609178 said:
U need to replace the rim too. Those are called staggered set up. U sacrifice the ability to perform front/back tyre rotation to maximize tyre wear but your cornering handling will improve tremendously on dry tarmac.

Key word AB..dry tarmac...dangerous on wet surface due to "aqua-panning". thanks for that important point

Ecc0;609142 said:
..i was thinking to install pair of a bit wider tyres on back wheels, then tyres on front wheels of my Z4..now..im not quite sure is that wise idea and does that affecting vehicle stability/control on any way? Any suggestions ?

Unless your car putting down massive HP to the wheels, you won't notice any difference, handling wise. So it's pure aesthetic for a street driven car. plus added unsprung weight comes with bigger wheels.

Actually it's called aquaplane or aquaplaning ... Aquaplaning happens regardless whether it's staggered or not because once a layer of water builds between the tires and the road there will be loss of traction. BMW introduce staggered set-up to promote understeer since more rubber to push at the rear than front to steer.

there's plenty of info on the net about the benefits of staggered and square setups.

B33mEr;609200 said:
. Aquaplaning happens regardless whether it's staggered..

But larger contact surface creates more "float". Same concept as in flying kite.. :4:

So on staggered set up, in the wet, greater tendency to oversteer..

astroboy;609212 said:
But larger contact surface creates more "float". Same concept as in flying kite.. :4:

So on staggered set up, in the wet, greater tendency to oversteer..

Actually bro ... once you hit aquaplaning you can go from oversteer to understeer or even a 360 spin in an instant. To what degree the tendency to "float" if using staggered i'm not sure but i do agree there's an increased chance of floating if using a wider tire.

Ecc0;609142 said:

Most Z4 comes with staggered tyres width. Mine is 225 front and 255 rear. Fantastic in high speed cornering.

..well..I have changed my RFT's (rims and tyres) and installed Michelin tyres (same size on all wheels 225) with 18' rims..so, on recent awana breakfast ride, I have experienced that car is drifting in corners (back side only), at speed where other cars in front of me, passing same corners without such problems(i couldnt noticed), so i had to eventually slow down ..im not sure is it my tyres (brand new michelin) or wheel size, but i have also noticed that car 'dancing' at wet surface too (back side only) so literally I have to go down to 90km/h in order to stop feeling such 'backtail dance'..is that due fact that car is significantly lighter on back part (basically just driver), while nose is heavier(engine on the front wheels), or it was tyres, I couldnt tell..I know that I go with my range rover on heavy rain, easy 110-120km/h and i feel no such dancing..maybe because car is heavier (3 tons heavy empty) so friction is better..i couldnt say, but i just wanna improve my Z4 to get it right for such cornering rides..

U want more rear traction at the rear, try increasing the rear negative camber, or it can be a weaken rear absorber. A stiffer rear anti roll bar helps too. Try not to compare with those who can go faster than u. Firstly they have bigger balls, 2ndly they are familiar with the blind corners so they know which line to take, 3rdly those faster bimmers some has serious mods on the suspension set up or at least M-Sport set up, everything stiffer, and lastly, they don't stinge on tyres. Mostly on Max Performance Tyres like PS2, PS3, Asymmetric, CSC3 etc.

Which type of Michelin tyre u using? Rear camber how many degree?

..well..im willing to invest in to my vehicle..as a matter a fact i have had hartge Z3 coupe (5.0 , V8 engine) before my Z4, and that was one real mean machine, so i am willing to invest in to car..its not a problem..main reason of my 'mocking' around is because I realized I will have a difficult time to get Z8 in to Malaysia so I wanna see what alternatives i have for my Z4 to move it up to 'standard' eventually..as for roads..yes, i was first time there and actually I have missed road completely :) .. anyway Astroboy, I have just done payment for my membership, so i guess im fresh OM :)

From a hartge Z3 coupe (5.0 , V8 engine) to a Z4.. hmmnn.. I think u will be better off grabbing an E92 //M than spending to feed the Z4 with steroid.. u need serious displacement in the engine.. not any force induction can cure.. :4:

Will process your application at once and thanks! :3:

..well..I had a problems with parts for Z3 and at that time and i just moved here from Australia (6 years ago) so i had to let it go..so im really attracted to Z models, and one occupy my mind was actually Z4 E85 Manhart (http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/08/27/550hp-v-10-powered-manhart-bmw-z4-e85/), real monster..and second one iz Z8 (only non tuned Z model with brutally powerful engine)..I really love Z8 because of its original form and performance, without any single touch up (bloody 2.9-3 secs to 120) and extraordinary retro style..so i found one but i have hard time with import taxing here :( .. sigh

Hmnn... now I totally understand your predicament, M54 is bullet proof in the entire BMW engine family. Those cast iron block should be able to take the heat of SC. Go for it! :3: :love:

.. and yes, get ready with a 255 rear tyres, u'll need it!

Ecco. From what you've described, it would be better-off for you to change the rear rims to 255. The original 18" rims set-up for a Z4 is staggered 225/255. Correctly inflated, you'll be amazed with the speed and sharpness a Z4 can do at those sharp corners.

Top Bottom