Who is the 'Stig'?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

XXX

Founding Member
Michael Schumacher revealed as TV show Top Gear's 'Stig' Formula One legend Michael Schumacher was on Sunday unveiled as "the Stig", the mystery man who test drives cars on British cult motoring show "Top Gear".
772696F7447CACC02C7326CD26C11F.jpg
LONDON (AFP) - Formula One legend Michael Schumacher was on Sunday unveiled as "the Stig", the mystery man who test drives cars on British cult motoring show "Top Gear". The identity of the white-clad driver is kept a closely guarded secret, but Schumacher, who was Formula One world drivers' champion seven times, finally revealed himself in the first of a new series of the show on Sunday night. Presenter Jeremy Clarkson pretended not to recognise him at first, asking him what he used to do before he became famous as the Stig, but then excitedly shouted to the studio audience: "It's Michael Schumacher!" Former Formula One driver Perry McCarthy was Top Gear's original Stig, who dressed all in black during the first two series. The show is shown in more than 100 countries worldwide. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifrtlC4NTys

This reminds me of that Stephen Chow movie where he was the hero with the Garfield mask that saved Christie Chung........

another publicity stunt... When the White stig first appear on TopGear, MS was still busy in F1... He did fitness training everyday even during winter breaks.. So where got time to flying to UK and be the stig lah????

There were drivers that played the role of The Stig, one of them was Damon Hill ex F1 champion as relayed to me by someone who saw the shoot.

Cheers

From F1-Live.com:

Michael Schumacher was unmasked as the BBC car programme Top Gear's mysterious 'The Stig' on Sunday night. Well, sort of.

The enigmatic white-overalled, gloved and helmeted figure, who for years has anonymously tested cars for the TV show, appeared on the floor of the British programme after breaking its test-track record at the wheel of the Ferrari FXX supercar.

Asked by host Jeremy Clarkson to take off his helmet, The Stig reluctantly obliged, revealing F1's now 40-year-old seven time world champion Schumacher.

Clarkson jokingly asked the famous German what his name was before he became famous as The Stig, but Schumacher answered: "You have to have some secrets. "

However, the true identity of The Stig was unmasked by the press earlier this year as 33-year-old Ben Collins, although the speculation was not confirmed by the BBC and it remains rumoured that the character is actually played by multiple drivers.

A spokesman for the British broadcaster, meanwhile, confirmed that Schumacher was The Stig for the Ferrari segment, but that otherwise the truth would remain ‘a mystery’.

“I don’t think Michael Schumacher is The Stig. I think we made it up,” said Clarkson.

Top Bottom