White Smoke from Exhaust

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bsoosay

Club Guest
Dear All,Hi! Whenever I start my car up, especially in the mornings, and sometimes, I've noticed in the evenings, there is ALOT of white smoke that comes out of my exhaust pipe. But after running a certain distance, it goes off?Any reason why this is happening, or is this normal?Your advise is much appreciated.

Get SC to check for u. I have seen such BMW before and I think its not normal. Only seen once and it was an old E46. The salesman keep saying its water vapor but it's still there after 15 min.. doesn't seem right, so we decided to move on.

U living in cold climate country?! When u speak, got water vapor coming out from your mouth?

A little white smoke on a cold morning is nothing to worry.... But if it is coming in the evenings and a LOT of it, you'd have to check it out asap.

Hi Astroboy,

In your message above, what do you mean, "you decided to move on?"

I called BMW Malaysia's Technical advise just now. They mentioned that it was water condensation.

Normally, after I start up the engine, I see this white smoke. But after a short drive the white smoke goes of. I also notice the white smoke only when I'm at a stand-still position.

The white smoke comes out after the car has not been driven for an hour to 3 hours or so. I noticed it yesterday evening, after the rain (obviously my car got wet too). After a short moment of driving, the white smoke went off.

I called BMW Malaysia's Technical side, they told me to put a piece of paper near the exhaust when the white smoke is there to see if its oil or water.

bsoosay...i think astro means that he was previously hunting for an E46 and it had white smoke coming out from the exhaust and he thought that it wasn't supposed to...so he "moved on" to search for others...

The white smoke from exhaust...is it due to non-proper/complete petrol burning???

Yes.. the King understand me.. :D

My E90 on a cool rainy morning start (PJ climate) also no white smoke.. what water condensation? Condense where? How?

Water condensed after 3 hours? Kind of fast isn't it? Even in hot afternoon? I don't buy in..

My guess is non-proper/complete combustion as well.. and the culprit can be many.. faulty AFM, wrong air-fuel mixture, faulty O2 sensors, clogged air filter element, weak spark plugs, etc..

Top Bottom