white deposit at battery

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

moots

Club Guest
howdy bros...

checked where my battery lives and this is what I found:

don't know why got this kind of white deposit on a maint free calcium battery.normally this only happens to the lead acid battery due to electrolyte spillage.

after a good clean up with water and paying careful attention to the intelligent battery sensor (IBS):

nice and clean again:

Just to note that the active steering message will come on after the battery is reconnected.You have to :
0. reset the date and time
1. drive the car for at least a hundred meters (what I was told,but I drove for 12 kms to go to shop..)
2. center the steering wheel and shut off engine
3. wait at least 10 secs( i waited 5 mins)
4. restart and message shud disappear...mine did...wohooooo

SO....check your battery for condition....

thanks to ah fai of optimum kayu ara for this info which I got over the phone.....

Moots,
The white deposit is lead sulphate. It is caused by reaction of the sulphuric acid in the battery with the lead post, usually due to an imperfect seal where the post juts out of the plastic case. The deposit can be clean with hot water. After cleaning, some dielectric grease smeared on the post will help prevent the formation of the deposit.

Wah sudah upgrade to e60 ka bro moots? No wonder e39 is up for sale...

tckhor said:
Moots,
The white deposit is lead sulphate. It is caused by reaction of the sulphuric acid in the battery with the lead post, usually due to an imperfect seal where the post juts out of the plastic case. The deposit can be clean with hot water. After cleaning, some dielectric grease smeared on the post will help prevent the formation of the deposit.
tks bro tckhor....i'll smear some grease as a preventive measure....

haywire said:
Wah sudah upgrade to e60 ka bro moots? No wonder e39 is up for sale...
he he...gatal sudah lama la bro haywire....but the e60 is so much more refined in terms of the ride.....and quieter too...and more expensive if something fails...and something WILL fail sooner or later....he he.....just love the engineering..

just yesterday I took the cabin filter housing apart to get acces to the brake fluid booster and IT WAS MUCH EASIER compared to the e39...not that I needed to do any maintenance to it......just to see how they are put together...love it...

Top Bottom