What to do if you dont have spare tire kit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ST02

Club Guest
Dear All

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question and if this question has been asked/discussed before.

My BMW currently doesn't come with a spare tire kit. It only has a pump and sealant. I suppose doesn't make sense to have a spare tire as both front and rear tire sizes are also different. The pump/sealant wont be useful if the puncture is really bad.

My question is, how do BMW car owners cope with this same situation especially if you plan to travel outstation etc? Is there another way as back up to compensate for the pump/sealant solution.

Any helpful advice is much appreciated.

Regards
Din

Prayers?....(hehe)
Alternatively, if you don't want to live life on the edge, you can continue to use those RFTs. For those of us who have decided to replace the RFTs with conventional ones, we either have spare tyre kit (ie a much slimmer spare tyre) or the pump/sealant and PRAYERS that we don't have to use them

I have tyre repair kit, air compressor and jack standby in my car. Never experience tyre puncture yet and yes PRAYER to avoid bad luck.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Yup, when i had my E60 previously, it came with RFTs. Subsequently i bought a tire kit from AB when i changed to normal tires.

i had a bad experience last nite. got a rear puncture like 10 minutes from home but it was too bad that i had to get a carrier to take it back home! sigh!!

hopefully i wont experience it again if I'm outstation...

The spare tyre which is slim profile can fit both front and rear wheels.

It is rated to only 80Km/Hr. It allow you to limp back to the workshop.

zeedo said:
How much does it cost by the way
new...rm1300....wheel,jack,wrench and the foam container that fits all very nicely in the boot.

Some insurance provide Rescue/Breakdown Service....no? (within coverage la...)

Yes, they do. I've been using LonPac as they provide towing services for free up to a certain amount/mileage.

Save all the troubles. Just change back to RFT. You don't need to change tyre at the road site and and endangering your safety and your passengers safety. No need carry extra spare tyre or tyre repair kit and take up unnecessary boot space. The newer generation of RFTs are pretty quiet and comfortable. Prices also getting more reasonable now.

Am a convert from RFT to conventional tubeless.. only regret I didn't convert much earlier. My 320i took blardy long to reach 200kph on the bone shattering RFTs. Now I enjoy much quicker acceleration to 200kph, at least 30% quicker and so comfortable and quiet.

I have DC air compressor and patch kit.

We have tyre alarm. It will scream long before endangering the tyre side wall due to under-inflation, hence give us ample time to refill or get to the nearest tyre shop for proper remedy.

P/S: unless all 4 tyres go flat at the same rate, tyre alarm will not detect because no comparative rotation count variance among the tyres. What is the chance of that to happen? Even if yes, what can your lone spare tyre can do to help?

Hi guys, just a quick question on both the tires...

Run flats :
1. When we have a flat and drive to the nearest tire shop at 80 kmh, what is the max distance allowed?
2. Can we patch it up or must we change the whole tire after that?

Conventional tires:
1. Besides changing to conventional tires, do we need to change any of the wheel sensors?
2. Read somewhere whereby the foam is used to be pumped into the tires during a flat, can the foam be washed off once we reach the repair shop?

Thanks for your feedback in advance .

i think can drive 120kms slowly after puncture. Can patch up if not a bad puncture (like too big a hole or side wall puncture). Just leave the foam there ok. Or can easily wash off by removing tyre from rim. I have never heard of a single friend needing to use the foam. Usually the pump which is connected to the lighter power jack is enough.....pump it up n get it patched up for 5 ringgit!

Top Bottom