What should i do ? (getting a bmw e36)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bmwfanatic

Club Guest
Hi everyone ! I'm a newbie here and this bmw would be my first so, what should i check when i'm purchasing the car ??After purchasing , i intend to send it to a good mechanic to get everything checked once more and replacing any faulty parts. So, what are the things that needs to be checked ? Thanks.

1) Body and internals for signs of major collision repairs.
2) Engine oil leaks and water leaks (should be visible signs of oil slicks)
3) Suspension and mountings
4) Also check on the engine wirings and be sure they are the original wirings and not the modified flying wires.
5) All lights and indicators are in working condition which includes the dashboard and center console lights.

Best to bring along a mech or friend that well versed wt an E36.

You can even demand from the buyer/dealer to take it for an inspection prior purchasing. It will cost you ~100MYR.

first is to locate for a good car which is kindda hard these days ...for a good one you may need some extra dough and are you willing to pay the $$$$ ??

by the way what are you looking for ...328 , 325 , 318 ..manual , auto , ya budget ??

from here then, we are able to let you know further ... :)

bmwfanatic;673254 said:
Which place ?

Depends on which workshop/mechanic you are familiar with for bimmers. If not, state your location and someone can direct you to the nearest and possible reliable source

ICEMAN 13;673151 said:
first is to locate for a good car which is kindda hard these days ...for a good one you may need some extra dough and are you willing to pay the $$$$ ??

by the way what are you looking for ...328 , 325 , 318 ..manual , auto , ya budget ??

for here then we are able to let you know further ... :)

Hi, i dont know much about bmw's so i guess i'll be choosing the best one. The one with full service history and no accidents and also the one with the best engine condition.

prefer auto for now. But manual is acceptable. My budget would be rm35k. And i'll be keeping another rm6-8k for repairs and modifications.

pardypeople;673272 said:
Depends on which workshop/mechanic you are familiar with for bimmers. If not, state your location and someone can direct you to the nearest and possible reliable source
as i said, i'm a newbie. This is my first bmw. I'm from port dickson but i have no problems driving to seremban / kl area.

bmwfanatic;673284 said:
Hi, i dont know much about bmw's so i guess i'll be choosing the best one. The one with full service history and no accidents and also the one with the best engine condition.

prefer auto for now. But manual is acceptable. My budget would be rm35k. And i'll be keeping another rm6-8k for repairs and modifications.

well it's better for you to read on more before plunging into one ... such one as described with full service history and no accidents and also the one with the best engine condition is usually set on a higher price tag OR you may not even be able to locate for one ..

offtopic : my service records are just pilling up with lotsa paper already and getting tired of looking at it already ...

therefore it would be better for you to define your search on the cc capacity that you're looking at ..if roadtax is not an issue then get a 328i ..aplenty out there these days ...

ICEMAN 13;673313 said:
well it's better for you to read on more before plunging into one ... such one as described with full service history and no accidents and also the one with the best engine condition is usually set on a higher price tag OR you may not even be able to locate for one ..

offtopic : my service records are just pilling up with lotsa paper already and getting tired of looking at it already ...

therefore it would be better for you to define your search on the cc capacity that you're looking at ..if roadtax is not an issue then get a 328i ..aplenty out there these days ...

scared to open my credit card statement also...hahaha

bmwfanatic;673285 said:
as i said, i'm a newbie. This is my first bmw. I'm from port dickson but i have no problems driving to seremban / kl area.

Bro, this similar query has been discussed many times on the E36 sub-forums..Pro and Cons are all there. The final decision is like bro ICE mentioned.

it suppose baca dulu sebelum beli, but i was beli dulu baru baca.hehe
so many info bout the car.i mostly read bout engines and suspension because an older car got so many wear and tear.so careful before u purchase.test drive kaw kaw!

A simple search in google will reveal a list of common issues with E36's. Then once you've got the list, check out the pricing here in our wonderful forum where members list down the parts & price. From there you can estimate the price your willing to pay for the car & parts replacement.

From my experience, if your buying from just a regular owner...your pretty much gonna have to replace alot of wear & tear parts plus plus, cuz they will less likely to maintain the car well (other than the usual engine oil/filter/atf..etc).

as my experience, im study this e36 in couple of month, subscribe certain topics that im interested, everyday look into mudah.my, looking for best car.. 328 very cheap this day, no wonder u can get in 20k, but remember.. those in 20k - 30k, mostly need more maintenance, is better to buy from people in this forum.. as my 2cent, they are more passion on their cars..
good car basically above 30k.. :)
also, is better you find 96-above car, timing chain.. i would recommend.. :). happy hunting.

you may refer to this.
http://www.windigoauto.com/E363Series.html
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?27-e36-parts-amp-maintenance/page121

here's my thought

| 318 | 325 | 328 |
--------------------------------------------
budget | ok | ok | ok
-------------------------------------------
maintenance | ok | so-so| not really
pleasure | not really |so-so | ok

once you pick your ride,
1) check any leak (oil / water)
2) make sure gearbox no funny sound / symptom
3) suspensions / bushings

my suggestions,
1) dont judge a car by its outside appearance. beautiful car but stranded has no used for you.
2) it is better to pick a car with service record / service receipt so you know what are the things that have been changed.

Good Luck..

azmi318;673622 said:
also, is better you find 96-above car, timing chain..

That's incorrect, it depends on the engine. All the engines used on the e36 are running on timing chain. m43, m42, m50, m52 all run on timing chain.

2wenty6;673902 said:
That's incorrect, it depends on the engine. All the engines used on the e36 are running on timing chain. m43, m42, m50, m52 all run on timing chain.

Early 318i E36 were running on M40 Timing Belt :)

bmwfanatic;673284 said:

That budget is pretty sufficient. Take your time to look for a good example for sale..don't rush into it.

A 325 is probably a good balance between cost and pleasure. Sure, the 328 has more torque and is slightly faster, but then that is RM800 extra on roadtax a year.
I have not driven a 318/320 before but there are plenty of accounts on them being underpowered. And to be honest, if you want something that is only as fast as a civic then you're probably better off getting a civic/corolla along with all its frugality. Maintenance wise, the 325/328 cyl will not be THAT much more than a 318/320. And if you took the time to look for a good example it is unlikely for it to become a maintenance nightmare.
Parts are slightly more expensive as you go up the model range, but if you can afford it, it is immaterial compared to the increased pleasure you gain from a higher displacement engine.

If you will enjoy a manual then go ahead and get it. Auto will cost quite a big sum when it eventually go toast and if you read through the forums you'll see things like "why isn't my Reverse engaging" or stuff like that. On the contrary, manual transmissions are generally more robust and gives better fuel economy. Cheaper to replace too if you abuse it. But manual e36s are hard to come by so that will shrink your pool of choices down really quick.

2wenty6;673907 said:
That budget is pretty sufficient. Take your time to look for a good example for sale..don't rush into it.

A 325 is probably a good balance between cost and pleasure. Sure, the 328 has more torque and is slightly faster, but then that is RM800 extra on roadtax a year.
I have not driven a 318/320 before but there are plenty of accounts on them being underpowered. And to be honest, if you want something that is only as fast as a civic then you're probably better off getting a civic/corolla along with all its frugality. Maintenance wise, the 325/328 cyl will not be THAT much more than a 318/320. And if you took the time to look for a good example it is unlikely for it to become a maintenance nightmare.
Parts are slightly more expensive as you go up the model range, but if you can afford it, it is immaterial compared to the increased pleasure you gain from a higher displacement engine.

If you will enjoy a manual then go ahead and get it. Auto will cost quite a big sum when it eventually go toast and if you read through the forums you'll see things like "why isn't my Reverse engaging" or stuff like that. On the contrary, manual transmissions are generally more robust and gives better fuel economy. Cheaper to replace too if you abuse it. But manual e36s are hard to come by so that will shrink your pool of choices down really quick.

Bro, you should put up more of your ride details/pic and provide link. Then only ngam la...inspiration liao..hehe

Top Bottom