What is the procedure to put a new number to registered car?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bmw7833

Club Guest
Who had the experience in changing number for a registered car? Pls share.Assuming now i have ABC 123 (Perak old number) in my car and i am looking to tender WYW 123 (WP on going number) for the same car, is this doable?What is the documents and procedures that i need to take note?

1. make sure the new number is never registered before (new number to old vehicles is ok, old number to new vehicle is also ok, but old number to a registered vehicle is a no)
2. send it to PUSPAKOM

i had done this twice already (on my E30 and also Q5), i had my runner to settle it all. if not mistaken i paid around RM800 per vehicle. i cannot really recall.

I have 2 experiences, it might have change now.
In principle, inter change would need to be both new and old vehicle under your names.
So 2 easier way to do it.
Buy a new cheapest possible bike, choose a new number and interchange the 2 numbers, keep or sell the bike.
Or you can approach the motorbike shop, they will still register a new bike to you and upon the inter change sell the old bike at a lower cost to customer. And I have done both. Option 2 will usually set you back for about 1-1.5k.
No puspakom inspection needed.

..mann..and we were hoping that engaging IT and database systems will make life easier :) ..

It can be done. I did it thru a runner about 2 years back. If not mistaken cost me about RM1k.

PUSPAKOM inspection was required during that time, not sure about now. Briefly, the procedure is to transfer the old plate to a new vehicle (normally a motorbike) and registered your old vehicle with a new plate.

Member 33;816016 said:
It can be done. I did it thru a runner about 2 years back. If not mistaken cost me about RM1k.

PUSPAKOM inspection was required during that time, not sure about now. Briefly, the procedure is to transfer the old plate to a new vehicle (normally a motorbike) and registered your old vehicle with a new plate.
you still need PUSPAKOM nowadays bro.

Top Bottom