WAX new paint?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anxious

Club Guest
Ok guys, No news means good news. I have been quiet lately as I finally managed to sort out the gremlins in my car( keeping the fingers crossed). Anyway, my new paint is already about 3 months old. I was wondering whether I can wax it to protect the paint. My painters told me that I only need to wash the car with water. I have been using my Meguiars Gold Class shampoo when washing the car. I notice that the paint gets watermarks easily and bird dropping if not washed away immediately scars the paint. Having spent $$$$ on the paint I would like to maintain and protect it. The owner of Autoglm center in Pg suggested that I do his 3 step polish starting with the Paint Renovator. He noted that the finishing by the painters wasnt tip top as swirl m arks could been seen. He claimed that he had special polish for black cars. Anyway I am a bit sceptical about the need to polish since the paint is still so new. So guys how do u take care of new paint.....any pointers. I have a bottle of Meguiars Gold Class WAX at home....do I DIY or should I go for this 3 step polish? Thanks

Anxious, I, too make it a practice to rinse away whatever bird dropping I see on my car, even house lizard's dropping :eek: I believe this would be a proactive way to protect the paint of the car and in your case "new coat of paint".

But I cannot be giving any advice on whether to wax your car or not :) Better leave it to others to comment since myself also not good in this area.

Unless you have plenty of time to wash and dry your car each time after rain, watermarks will tend to stay on all paints, no matter how.

Do post some pics for us to see ok?

Cheers

Anxious,

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT wax fresh paint. You need to allow the paint a minimum of 60 days to cure. Paints need to breathe as it dries. If you wax it before it is fully cured, you will trap the solvent's evaporative qualities which will result in a hazy clearcoat later.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! In the meantime, just wash regularly.

Cheers

Kev,

Thanks. When you coming down to Pg. Remember the durians we had the last time.

Cheers. Thanks again.

kevster30;234833 said:
Anxious,

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT wax fresh paint. You need to allow the paint a minimum of 60 days to cure. Paints need to breathe as it dries. If you wax it before it is fully cured, you will trap the solvent's evaporative qualities which will result in a hazy clearcoat later.

Cheers

polishing is fine on new paints, and is mostly advisable as there are usually minor imperfections such as swirls caused by the panelshop. whether you need a polish depends on the value you put on a perfect paintjob.

as far as i know,
it is perfectly ok to wax with a natural carnauba wax as it allows the paint to breathe.
any synthetic mixtures or synthetic waxes such as NXT Tech Wax or Zaino should be avoided.

if you choose to get it polished, make sure they wax only with a carnauba wax! otherwise you will end up with a hazy clearcoat as pointed out by Kevster30

since your paint is already 3 months old why worry? hehe.... get a full blown compounding job done. then give layers and layers of synthetic sealants. after it has sit properly, give it layers and layers of carnauba wax!!!! then after all done, give it layers and layers of Meg's UQD. hehe....

kevster30;234833 said:
Anxious,

Cheers

OH NO!!!!! :eek:Juz waxed my front hood yesterday with meguiars NXT Tech Wax(Liquid), bcos my front hood just sprayed within a month and i find it look like faded(not shiny compared to my side which also juz sprayed), how to undone!?

Can use dawn(dish detergent to clean it as i found from the web)? Anything need to be care when using dish detergent?

morpheus5039;394280 said:
OH NO!!!!! :eek:Juz waxed my front hood yesterday with meguiars NXT Tech Wax(Liquid), bcos my front hood just sprayed within a month and i find it look like faded(not shiny compared to my side which also juz sprayed), how to undone!?

Can use dawn(dish detergent to clean it as i found from the web)? Anything need to be care when using dish detergent?

not to worry much ...just leave you car under the sun for a day or 2 ...and keep on wipping it using a proper cloth ..preferably with the micro fibre cloth ...

i think it's better if you stay away from dish detergent . if you have got a new paint coat ....

morpheus5039,

You should use dishwashing liquid to strip the wax from your hood. Dishwashing liquid has degreasing properties and will do the job.

ICEMAN 13;394476 said:
not to worry much ...just leave you car under the sun for a day or 2 ...and keep on wipping it using a proper cloth ..preferably with the micro fibre cloth ...

i think it's better if you stay away from dish detergent . if you have got a new paint coat ....

Bro,

Please be careful when giving advise.....when you park the car under the sun after NXT has been applied, it will bond to the paint. The only way to remove it is to machine buff it.

Nothing wrong with dish detergent if you use a dilution ration of 15 parts water to 1 part dish detergent.

kevster30;394817 said:
Bro,

Please be careful when giving advise.....when you park the car under the sun after NXT has been applied, it will bond to the paint. The only way to remove it is to machine buff it.

Nothing wrong with dish detergent if you use a dilution ration of 15 parts water to 1 part dish detergent.

i meant was keep the car under the sun for few days after the NXT waxing session --> not park the car under the sun after NXT has been applied.....

sorry ahhh sifu kilat kilauan

kevster30;394814 said:
morpheus5039,

You should use dishwashing liquid to strip the wax from your hood. Dishwashing liquid has degreasing properties and will do the job.

thx sifu! erm..., after washing with dish detergent, need to polish my hood? or juz leave it be?(and mantain with usual car wash and after 2 months juz polish and wax)

morpheus5039;394924 said:
thx sifu! erm..., after washing with dish detergent, need to polish my hood? or juz leave it be?(and mantain with usual car wash and after 2 months juz polish and wax)

I don't care what Kev says about using dishwash to clean your car. I will NOT use nor recommend the use of dishwash or any household cleaners on car paintwork.

Household cleaners are too harsh such that it will remove the wax coating. Unless this is yoru intent. Stay away from it.

There are various conditioners and wax removers specifically formulated to perform the task of preparing the surface (including removing the wax coat) prior to polishing or waxing. Use these to ensure that the job is done properly.

If the wax coat is removed, reapply correctly after the proper surface preparation.

Sorry Kev.

I'll say you can use the dishwashing detergent.....only as a last resort, but use it WISELY. For example, like, start with a weaker mix or several passes of weaker mix instead of a single pass of strong mix. Do panel by panel, wash and rinse immediately, and rinse THROUGHLY. Make sure there's no chance of it drying without rinsing it.

Sounds labourous doesn't it? Or you can just go to any car-paint shop and ask for the M6000 Wax and Grease Remover and use that instead. It's a wipe-on-wipe-off solvent product that cost around rm25 - rm30 per can (2 lit or 3 lit - can't remember, can somebody confirm this). If you're worry that a cheap solvent would damage your paint, then you can opt for a solvent produced by Dupont that is dedicated for use on car's paintwork called Prepsol. Not cheap as I got it for RM125/5 lit and it's not that easily available locally. I bought mine from a supplier in Bukit Kinrara.

Another way is to use a paint cleaner, for example, something like Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (Step 1) or Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner (Step 1). These are chemical paint cleaner/polish dedicated to clean the surface prior to applying wax or sealant.

Regards.

KrisMas;395072 said:
I'll say you can use the dishwashing detergent.....only as a last resort, but use it WISELY. For example, like, start with a weaker mix or several passes of weaker mix instead of a single pass of strong mix. Do panel by panel, wash and rinse immediately, and rinse THROUGHLY. Make sure there's no chance of it drying without rinsing it.

Sounds labourous doesn't it? Or you can just go to any car-paint shop and ask for the M6000 Wax and Grease Remover and use that instead. It's a wipe-on-wipe-off solvent product that cost around rm25 - rm30 per can (2 lit or 3 lit - can't remember, can somebody confirm this). If you're worry that a cheap solvent would damage your paint, then you can opt for a solvent produced by Dupont that is dedicated for use on car's paintwork called Prepsol. Not cheap as I got it for RM125/5 lit and it's not that easily available locally. I bought mine from a supplier in Bukit Kinrara.

Another way is to use a paint cleaner, for example, something like Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (Step 1) or Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner (Step 1). These are chemical paint cleaner/polish dedicated to clean the surface prior to applying wax or sealant.

Regards.

The key word is WISELY. After >30 years of car care, spending many year on restoration projects, and my love of personal care of my cars, I do not consider my self WISE ENOUGH to use household detergents on car paintwork.

Your advise on the use of household dishwash is good but a generic one. I believe, you may have ommitted to mention that the dilution is dependent on the strength of the dishwash used. Thsi is becasue the commercially available dishwash vary in sterength. Axiom, Fab Paste and Sunlight et al are all common household dishwash. But I doubt I would use the Fab dishwash paste on my car. It has the strength and scrubbing power of a Fab blue handwash bar.

I suggest that it is WISER to stay away from them altogether. I am certainly unable to distinguish between a mild and harsh dishwash.

I woul still advocate use of specifically formulated surface preparation treatment for such job. A mistake might not manifest itself immediately.

My 2 cents worth.

i only use glo on my engine bay, does the job and removes all the oil, dust in the engine bay for 5 years.. no issues on the hoses and rubbers..

of course only a 1:10 dilution mix.

my intention is to remove the wax since my front hood just sprayed and i applied NXT tech wax on it(me noob oo...so now quickly read through detailing section!!)

i m not doing surface preparation(for wax? watz the point since i wanna remove it cos new painting cannot be waxed:stupid:).

i use higher ratio than the 1:15 kev mentioned, so should be ok gua???
Kinda confuse wat to do now...

Top Bottom