water leak

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

willie

Club Guest
mine is a E36 318i, yr 1999..... currently found a leak at the connector for the host going in/out (not sure) to the engine..... it got some szzzzzzz sound, and minor amount of water leak which can be seen la.... and i heard a similar sound from the back of the engine???!!!!!my question is how many hose is that to cold down the engine???? where can the water from radiator leaks????? i just replaced my radiator last week!!!!!! wau lau eh, scare any other leak la....willie

first, fill up the rad, then drive like a mad guy at least 10mins, then stop the car, put it on a ramp/hoist, then check for leaks..remember drive till it's hot, not to overheating tempreture !!there's alot of other hoses in the engine and they are not cheap !!

willie there are also some hose which is connected to a water manifold. It is hiding behind engine.. there are 3 or 4 hoses which goes to the air handling unit (or air con)... the water manifold is located just below the exhaust manifold.. I changed the radiator and thought my problem is gone but it is not... after changing the manifold and some other hoses, then the problem is rectify..It took about 6 hours to change the hoses and manifold because it is quite difficult to access the hoses that goes into the air con air unit..

Originally posted by jarance@Dec 20 2004, 12:16 PM willie there are also some hose which is connected to a water manifold. It is hiding behind engine.. there are 3 or 4 hoses which goes to the air handling unit (or air con)... the water manifold is located just below the exhaust manifold.. I changed the radiator and thought my problem is gone but it is not... after changing the manifold and some other hoses, then the problem is rectify..It took about 6 hours to change the hoses and manifold because it is quite difficult to access the hoses that goes into the air con air unit..
oh yes it cost about RM300 plus for the hoses, manifold and labour..

jarence how u know that there is a leak there?????? heard hssssss sound from behind?

Originally posted by willie@Dec 20 2004, 12:32 PM jarence how u know that there is a leak there?????? heard hssssss sound from behind?
if your water coolant keep dropping.. if you need to top the radiator every 3 or 4 days, then you have a leak.. if you can hear hissing sound, you have some air lock in the cooling system.. you need to bleed it.. One way of checking whether you need to change the hoses is to remove one of the small hose and check it.. see whether it have turn hard or brittle.. if it is then the other hoses behine the engine would be about the same condition... better to change the whole set at the same time. it will save you a lot trouble in the long run.... let me know if you want to know how the bleed the air in the cooling system.

Go to any workshop that has preassure tester. If the preassure reading drops, that means there is a leak(s). Pray that the leak is visible (at the radiator or hoses) because if the leak cant be traced, that means the head gasket bocor or worst, cracked head

Originally posted by spetnaz@Dec 20 2004, 03:04 PM Go to any workshop that has preassure tester. If the preassure reading drops, that means there is a leak(s). Pray that the leak is visible (at the radiator or hoses) because if the leak cant be traced, that means the head gasket bocor or worst, cracked head
Have done that before but the pressure test still pass. it only leak when it is hot. problem is that it is only a minor leak.. very hard to detect... the only sign is to look white stain (scaling) near the water hose..

Originally posted by jarance@Dec 21 2004, 01:48 AM if your water coolant keep dropping.. if you need to top the radiator every 3 or 4 days, then you have a leak.. if you can hear hissing sound, you have some air lock in the cooling system.. you need to bleed it.. One way of checking whether you need to change the hoses is to remove one of the small hose and check it.. see whether it have turn hard or brittle.. if it is then the other hoses behine the engine would be about the same condition... better to change the whole set at the same time. it will save you a lot trouble in the long run....
here is my condition la, a bit near what u have described...... the water coolant keep dropping, i think everytime i heat the car enough like pussy mention the hssssss sound will appear, i can clearly see one of the large hose/connector is "bleeding" (can see some bubbling last time, but then after thigthen up a bit now sometime can hear the hssss sound la, sometimes can't)........ actually how fast does the water can loss through a small bleeder like that????i heard a very similar noise i from the back of the engine...... and jarence, there is a small hose(1.5cm in diameter) just underneath the main big hose from the radiator, are u referring those small hose??????ya another thingy, after i drive i check the level of the coolant is about the min level on the reserve tank without opening the cap, but then when i try to open the tank, a lot of gas will release.... wow, the level of coolant went up significatly.... is that normal???????about the air lock, i think we can bleed with the small screw beside the radiator cap?????

Originally posted by spetnaz@Dec 21 2004, 04:04 AM Go to any workshop that has preassure tester. If the preassure reading drops, that means there is a leak(s). Pray that the leak is visible (at the radiator or hoses) because if the leak cant be traced, that means the head gasket bocor or worst, cracked head
that's my worst nightmares...... but then if i able to drive on a highway for 2 hours..... does that exclude anything ah??????

willie, it looks like there is some hairline crack (which may not be visible, thus only hear the hissing sound and some bubbles when the engine is hot). Maybe before you proceed to suspecting the worst (ie blown cylinder head gasket), you would like to try pouring-in the Winn radiator sealent which can be purchased rather inexpensively off the shelf. This should seal off any hairline cracks along the cooling system.

any complication can cause by the radiator sealant ah???? like clotted radiator????!!!!

Anyone knows how much do i expect to spend if i got a head gasket leak? My coolant keep on dissepearing; so i guess head gasket is the culprit. I did some survey, the top overhaul kit will cost me about RM335. Anyone knows what's the reasonable labor charge for this job? BTW, mine is E30, 320i. Thanks

Originally posted by PGE30@Dec 25 2004, 12:09 AM Anyone knows how much do i expect to spend if i got a head gasket leak? My coolant keep on dissepearing; so i guess head gasket is the culprit. I did some survey, the top overhaul kit will cost me about RM335. Anyone knows what's the reasonable labor charge for this job? BTW, mine is E30, 320i. Thanks
I think it is in the region of RM800-1,200 for labour only.

Top Bottom