VW Polo GTI launched in M'sia

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
This should be fun. I think it is better priced than the Golf 1.6 FSI which is going for around RM160K.

Frankly for Malaysian ppl we should go for the new Golf GT well 1.4litre= roadtax!!! 170bhp= smoke even 320i and best of all RM170k!!!!!!!!!!!!!

funfer_fahrer;310150 said:
This should be fun. I think it is better priced than the Golf 1.6 FSI which is going for around RM160K.

Actually we don't even have the Golf 1.6 here, what we have is the Golf Plus badged as a Golf.

paultantk;310476 said:
Actually we don't even have the Golf 1.6 here, what we have is the Golf Plus badged as a Golf.

What about Golf 1.4TSI? Are they coming to our shores?

adliz;310228 said:
yeah.. same feedback elsewhere.. the manual is not actually a plus if u compare to dsg technology. i overheard someone even whispered that this is a 'poor man's gti' during the launch.. this would be a better car to take to ulu yam though.. also, different headlamp is a plus. :D

I think it's kinda sad that a Polo GTI is rated better for back road drive than a Golf GTI. Imagine the original Golf GTI is only 800kg+ and the new one is almost 1,400kg.

Although the Polo GTI is only rated at 150bhp, the 1.8T is one of the most tuneable engine in the market. It can be boosted to 200bhp easily and extreme mods have obtained 400bhp. The Polo GTI also has a 250kg advantage over the Golf GTI and that's a lot.

Yes, I can see a Polo GTI with stage 2 mods, BBK and uprated suspension leaving the Golf GTI for dead over trunk roads.

funfer_fahrer;310725 said:
What about Golf 1.4TSI? Are they coming to our shores?

Rumours have it that it might arrive here at the end of the year. :listen:

one of my friends has a polo GTI. with just a chip (APR) it already makes 200hp.

the APR K04 turbo kit that is available for this car makes an insane amount of power.

OSFlanker;311221 said:
I think it's kinda sad that a Polo GTI is rated better for back road drive than a Golf GTI. Imagine the original Golf GTI is only 800kg+ and the new one is almost 1,400kg.

Although the Polo GTI is only rated at 150bhp, the 1.8T is one of the most tuneable engine in the market. It can be boosted to 200bhp easily and extreme mods have obtained 400bhp. The Polo GTI also has a 250kg advantage over the Golf GTI and that's a lot.

Yes, I can see a Polo GTI with stage 2 mods, BBK and uprated suspension leaving the Golf GTI for dead over trunk roads.

haha, i tot it was only me that notice gti sucks on tight winding road, so i keep it to myself. had a spirited drive up Fraser late last year, the gti had to make way for the MCSs, S204 and even my E46 to pass coz the car is slowing down the convoy run up the hill :wink:

i think the Polo GTi has all the attributes that'll make it a great driver's car in the same way the original Mk1 Golf GTi was:top:lets hope the handling is as nimble,light-footed and as adjustable as the Mk1 was..

i still think the price is a bit on the high side tho..then again,this is not the car's fault i guess..we have the gov to thank for that :thefinger:

have the engine tuned to 220+bhp,sort the suspension and brakes out..i smell a giant killer in the making.

I test drove the Polo GTI yesterday, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The feel resembles that of my Golf Mk2 GTI more than the Mk5 GTI, (no doubt the manual transmission helps). The gear change, the acceleration, the nimbleness, all excellent. It's like my Mk2, only much quieter and refined.

I also test drove the R32, I heard a lot about the "growl" of the engine, but the growl doesn't come close to my Mk2.......

So my pick is the Polo GTI......if only they import the version with 2 doors less......

OSFlanker;313280 said:
I test drove the Polo GTI yesterday, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The feel resembles that of my Golf Mk2 GTI more than the Mk5 GTI, (no doubt the manual transmission helps). The gear change, the acceleration, the nimbleness, all excellent. It's like my Mk2, only much quieter and refined.

I also test drove the R32, I heard a lot about the "growl" of the engine, but the growl doesn't come close to my Mk2.......

So my pick is the Polo GTI......if only they import the version with 2 doors less......

cool cool.. where did u test the cars? the Curve or PJ? i'd love to have a go.. my STi is being sold off and this would make a nice replacement for both my Jazz and STi.

probably have a go at it this monday.. Fahrer,u game?

saw a few clips on the Polo GTi on Youtube.. damn,a tuned 198bhp version actually topped 250kph! marvellous!!

supergripen;313315 said:
cool cool.. where did u test the cars? the Curve or PJ? i'd love to have a go.. my STi is being sold off and this would make a nice replacement for both my Jazz and STi.

probably have a go at it this monday.. Fahrer,u game?

saw a few clips on the Polo GTi on Youtube.. damn,a tuned 198bhp version actually topped 250kph! marvellous!!

I tested the Polo GTI along the Hartamas highway, the VW EOS was launched at the Bukit Kiara Equestrian Club and VGM held a VW Experience together with the launch. No speed trap that day, too bad when I test drove the R32 traffic was heavy, but I did managed 160kph on the Polo.

mikeymonty;313957 said:
Had great fun at the VW Experience @ Bukit Kiara Equestrian Club on the weekend .. wonder if any BMWers were there!? :)

http://juliansi.blogspot.com/search?q=vw+experience

Cheers!

Bro, only now I know mikeymonty is you. BTW, Polo GTI is 5-speed manual, not 6-speed unless you count the reverse gear :10:

OT : when are you arranging the char siew trip? I will bring my tea :wink:

Oops ... thanks for the feedback. I am gonna change my review of the Polo now!

Ah hah ... is this 'WL' ? Char siew trip? Contact me via FB, we arrange makan!

Cheers ...

Top Bottom