Vibration during braking

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BmwRocks

Club Guest
The car in question is an e36 325i. The problem is that when i brake at speeds over 100, the steering tends to vibrate. I notice this problem does not persist when i brake below 100. Can anyone help? And another thing is, has anyone rectified a problem concerning leaking of the power steering fluid. Any cost estimation or troubleshoot would come in handy.

yups... immediate suspect is a warped rotors. Had the same problem and after the replacement, no more vibrations when braking at high speed

Have a chk on the brake piston, if this is jam up it will overheat the brake and cause vibration on and the disc to wrap. Try to chk the disc if too hot after a short drive, sevice the brake see is if it happen again. Remember to chk the piston rubber. Also chk the brake hose if worn of it will also jam the brake.

thanks a milliom guys...will go and get it checked soon... recently changed my tires and alignment abt 4 months back

i had the same problem sometime after changing to new oem discs. very bad vibration when braking at high speed. i skimmed the disc n prob solved

I also have the same problem... It could be attributed to the above but most likely it is the disc..

As for the power steering, there are repair kit available for the power steering. (replacement oil ring and seal). Normally works if there is no scratched on the drive shaft of the power steering..

i have changed my discs, balanced my wheels and checked the suspension setting. I find that now the problem differs a little. The problem is getting better but it still persist. My car now very manja lah. Just had the steering rack changed and alternator. Rack was 900 and alternator was 550. Thanks for the feedback guy but my problem still here. Maybe i will consider changing the rims.

I experience these problems in both the E36 and E46. On the E36 I solved the problem by changing the disc brake. I don't drive the the E36 that much and I was told that the rust eats into the disc brakes and that is why the vibration happens.

The vibration on my E46 was caused by the control arm. Took it back to AB to change it. Complain to them and only need to pay labour. Otherwise it will cost a lot.

Went for a 2 week vacation and the car vibrates under braking again. This is due to the rust building up on the disc brake and the the vibration disappear after braking off the rust. From my experience the BMW disc brakes are not very durable and lasting.

Top Bottom