Undercarriage cover

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Kay.G.

Club Guest
Hi guys..as i was driving from KL to Ipoh yesterday, sudden laud noise like Tyre puncture ..triggered my attention then pulled over at emergency lane..the tyres were ok..continued driving with draggy noise and reduced speed from 180 to 90kmph then stopped at R&R..noticed the undercarriage cover at the centre of the car was partially hanging..then had no choice but to drive till the nearest workshop and got it removed..The Mech. said this due to high pressure from the engine..Is it possible that the service technicians didn't fix the cover properly during the atf and engine oil change or its just a matter of wear and tear..Thanks for d advice..hope this will be helpful to fellow forummers..

The E60 undercarriage cover (middle) is held by a few small screws. Did you check if the screws were loose or perhaps it's not tighten up properly after your last service? It doesn't make a lot of sense that high pressure from the engine will make that cover come off :)

Yeah..perhaps that should be the case but cant prove it to the mechanic..anyway, just checked the pricing for the 2 main covers is almost RM 1300.00..

Bro mine is missing also can share where to purchase the 2 main cover? thanks

The cover looks to be really expensive but how on earth can it go missing at the first place? lol

I think some workshops tend to be reckless and in their haste,things always get left out.

All BMW undercarriage model is expensive regardless the model. Also is diff to get good condition used one. I would blame improper installation by the mech that make it loose. Pressure from engine??? hahaha funny lar should be pressure from the air/wind at high speed.

Yeap it should be due wind..the mechanic said the main function is to reduce noise...is there any other implication to run without the cover e.g. water getting into the gear box etc....

Kay.G.;677412 said:
Yeap it should be due wind..the mechanic said the main function is to reduce noise...is there any other implication to run without the cover e.g. water getting into the gear box etc....

I think your mechanic is wrong again :) The main function is to make sure dirt, water and other useless substance from going into your engine bay and anything around it. Why would BMW protect it's cars from wind coming from the bottom? LOL.

Top Bottom