UMW Toyota to launch LEXUS by year-end

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Crymson

Club Guest
UMW Toyota to launch LEXUS by year-end By Kevin Tan (The Edge Daily) UMW Toyota Motor Sdn Bhd will officially launch LEXUS, the best-selling luxury car in North America, in Malaysia by year-end. In a statement Aug 23, UMW Toyota said it was constructing an all-new LEXUS facility in Mutiara Damansara to mark the launch. "The five-storey 3S outlet, which is expected to be one of the finest facilities in the country, will allow discerning individuals to experience a one-stop vehicle showroom, after-sales centre as well as other customer-friendly facilities," it added. UMW Toyota managing director David Chen said the company not only aims to sell products but to provide experiences. "We are passionate about delivering quality in both products and services, and this is in line with the value of LEXUS in relentlessly pursuing perfection," he added. LEXUS was first introduced in North America in 1989, with its flagship LS400 before expanding to Europe, Australia and Asia.

Sounds good...its funny to note that Lexus was just officially launched in Japan not too long ago, as well.

Hope they can offer/maintain customer service/after-sales service, that is practically 50% of the Lexus experience...without it, its just another high-spec Toyota :D

funfer_fahrer said:
Cant wait to test drive the RX400h.

I drove the RX450h...and I have to tell you its far better than the RX350. The car pulls like a champ and does it so effortlessly and smoothly. Here in the US, the RX350s are assembled in Canada while the RX450h is CBU from Japan, and I have to tell you, the quality feel difference is there. The RX450h feels and looks much better...

KL2DC said:
I drove the RX450h...and I have to tell you its far better than the RX350. The car pulls like a champ and does it so effortlessly and smoothly. Here in the US, the RX350s are assembled in Canada while the RX450h is CBU from Japan, and I have to tell you, the quality feel difference is there. The RX450h feels and looks much better...

Hybrid is the way to go nowadays. If you have extra money, DO NOT buy RX450h just yet. The first hybrid from BMW should be on the road by early 2007. It was being developed jointly with General Motors and DaimlerChrysler. Who knows, come 2008 we might see BMW with hybrid + twin turbo. Nyum..nyum:D

Actually I think hybrids are half-baked...a good modern diesel produces good power and torque and great fuel economy without the complication of electric motors/battery packs. Not only that though, but diesel engines are robust because of the high-compressions. At the end of the day, would you buy a used 5 year old diesel car or a used 5 year old hybrid car?

I would for the hybrid anytime. Remember those days when the mechanics dare not even touch a car that was equipped with fuel injection instead of carburetor? It is a matter of getting used to a new technology. Locomotives have been using this concepts for years.

funfer: I dunno...I'd take a BMW 335d anytime over a comparable hybrid. Funny thing, there are some stories of EMS crew here not wanting to go near a hybrid car at the scene of an accident, for fear of electrocution... :))

Maybe in a few years when hybrids have a more established track record (wrt long term reliability and cost of replacement parts) I would consider a hybrid. Maybe a hybrid diesel ;-)

Because of environmental pressure and the rising oil prices, slowly but surely people will eventually accept the hybrid concept. There is not much of a choice here unless you are willing to commute in a Kancil or car pooling. In Europe, diesel engines proves to be a more popular choice compared to petrol engine. In the States, initially it was not a big deal with any kind of engine but now the party is over. Talk about "fear of electrocution" the Yanks are scared of almost everything including Mr. Johnny English (Mr. Bean aka Rowan Atkinson) :) It is so uncool to become Yanks nowadays.

LOL it is uncool to be Yank nowadays...was it ever cool?

There is no support for diesels here as the quality of diesel is subpar and incompatible with the new generation of high-performance green diesels. Also, americans still equate diesels with smelly dirty trucks...

On the subject of conservation, you do realize that the new wave of high-performance hybrids like the Lexus LS500h, the Honda Accord Hybrid, the Lexus GS and RX 450h have pretty average fuel consumption. Its all about power (typically yank) and part markering/hype to go with hybrids. Don't get me wrong, there are the good ones like the Prius, Civic and Insight hybrids that actually get minimum MPGs of 40 and above. But the heavy performance oriented hybrids are in the mid 20s for MPG. Case in point the new bi-turbo BMW 335i is more fuel efficient at highway speeds than the Lexus GS450h. Granted, the hybrid is set up more for in-city driving where it trumps but still food for thought....

KL2DC said:
. Case in point the new bi-turbo BMW 335i is more fuel efficient at highway speeds than the Lexus GS450h. Granted, the hybrid is set up more for in-city driving where it trumps but still food for thought....

Cant agree more. And if you drive the car, say twice a week like myself I don't think it's a good idea. Apart from environmental issues, I think the idea behind hybrid is to combine the frugality of a small 4 cylinder engine in city driving and the tyre burning M5 supremacy on highways. Therefore, you can enjot the best of both worlds.

funfer: yeah but you will still get dismal fuel economy. Where it matters might be in emissions though. On the subject of environment, something that has not been discussed before is the impact of used/spent batteries disposal and their loads on our already burgeoning landfills/dumps. These batteries need special care when disposing or chemicals can and will leach into valuble water tables below.

Actually, what I am interested in is Hydrogen techonology but we're still faaaaar away. As long as there is still cheap oil, a real bankable effort to wean off fossil fuels will not be made. Conspicious consumption of oil will still be the order of the day.

I wish Toyota stick to Windom,Aristo,Cressida,Celsior,Mark II rather than using Lexus but like it or not ,America still strong .Everybody like to be American ......
If above Toyota exist here long ago, I think BMW or Merc will be struggle by now here ..

When I fourth year after finish all my paper, I almost get 1998 Chaser Tourer V but I went for R32 GTS-4t , Chaser will be power with 4 door.(OT)........

Iqlima said:
I wish Toyota stick to Windom,Aristo,Cressida,Celsior,Mark II rather than using Lexus but like it or not ,America still strong .Everybody like to be American ......
If above Toyota exist here long ago, I think BMW or Merc will be struggle by now here ..

When I fourth year after finish all my paper, I almost get 1998 Chaser Tourer V but I went for R32 GTS-4t , Chaser will be power with 4 door.(OT)........

Well, the Toyota marque - long associated with affordable, economical and sensible motoring - is not deemed upmarket enough to compete with the likes of BMW or Merc and so an entirely new marque carefully massaged to be an upmarket brand ie. Lexus was created. It seems to have worked.

Lexus

They came out with IS200 to go after the 3-series..BEAMS engined IS200s were a good first time effort..but IMHO latest IS250 looks the part ..also like SC430
Hope they have good after sales support ...:D :D :D

this is from Taiwan site

http://www.is250.com.tw/main.htm

Top Bottom