Tyre expiry

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

maco5007

Club Guest
Guys,Not sure whether this is true or not, however just want to share just in case. :rolleyes: "There is a 4-year expiry (from the year of manufacture).Thereafter, the tyre may burst whilst in useHow to find out whether your tyre has expired?Check for this sign: ( *4002* )There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of thisserial number.The first two numbers 40 will tell which week of the year hasit been manufactured.NB: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent theyear of make.Therefore, *4002* shows that the said tyre is manufactured inthe 40th week of the year 2002.*3404* This shows that the tyre is made in the 34th week of2004.Check all your tyres for safety purposes. Do not use expired tyres. They are likely to burst (especially when running in hot weather)because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked."

Yup Bro!
Absolutely KOREK!!
Didnt know about this 2 years ago :angry:

Happened on my MB100, firstly one tyre started to bulge and was undrivable then a few days later on the ELITE H'way, the second one burst while fully loaded and on the fast lane but fortunately didnt panic and managed to pull to the side.
Thats when I found out from the tyre shop about the manufacturing date and the damm tyres were 6 years old already!! Godammit! :angry: :angry:
Mind you, I bought them from klang and i thought i was getting a good bargain!! Screw them man!!

Anyway take note guys when u come across "good deals" on tyres esp. odd sizes.

Cheers! ;)

Thx for the refresher course... very important especially right before this long balik kampung holidays...

:) :)

but not all tyres had that or maybe the Potenza RE711 I had 2 years back were Petaling Street copies.... ;)

This is a good piece of information for all of us, Its very important to know something like this, Cheers Maco! :eek:k: No matter how "kau" your car is, end of the day its the tires that is having full contact to the road...

do know abt this on how to read the tire's date of manufacture from my ex-college who works for the "fat man with tire threads" over his body". The four years from date of manufacture does not mean the "expiry" life of the tires - what it actually meant is that the tires shd be sold and put on the vehicle within the 4 yr period and the tires are good for another 2 yrs. Why this 4-yr - is that for the more premium n performance tires, the manufacturer takes into account the time period that the tires gets to reach the customers and how long it stays on the shelfs b4 they are bought - like for malaysia imported tires takes abt 6 mths or more from manufacture date to reach the retail tire shops through the myraid of wholesalers, distributors etc to the tire shops - and the average time for a performance tire to be sold in the local market is between 12 to 18 mths from the date of maunfacturer and this is the average only - as often at times some retail tire shops sells these around 20 mths. Tires which are kept even for 4 yrs at the store is ok as it is not stressed and not inflated as yet.

and further to my earlier post, the most impt thing is to check that the side-walls of yr tires are ok and that there are no cuts or importantly no "bulges" or lumps on the side-walls - as this means that the tire is "weak" at this point and shd not be used at all and replaced immediately. Technically tires can be safely used on the cars within their designed "life-span" which is actually the number of km that they are used which is between 30,000km and 45,000km depending on a variety of driving styles and road conditions - and which manufacturers will take an average of between 14 mths for a high mileage user to 3 yrs for a low-mileage driver (ie after the sell-out "4-yr date as a guide). Tires blow-outs are usually bec of under-inflation and high speed driving (due to excessive heat build-up) - hence on the drivers door sills, the car manufacturer would always state the normal air pressure and a higher air pressure for constant high speed, long distance driving.
In fact "technically" too there are "no expiry" on the life of a tire - provided that there is no visible damage to the side-walls - hence we still see alot of re-thread tires being used and these are bought mainly by very cost-concious drivers, taxis, fleet operators like buses and trucks - and often these are very much ordinary tires and some are not even of the multi-steel belted side-wall construction type.

three2go;65974 said:
and further to my earlier post, the most impt thing is to check that the side-walls of yr tires are ok and that there are no cuts or importantly no "bulges" or lumps on the side-walls - as this means that the tire is "weak" at this point and shd not be used at all and replaced immediately. Technically tires can be safely used on the cars within their designed "life-span" which is actually the number of km that they are used which is between 30,000km and 45,000km depending on a variety of driving styles and road conditions - and which manufacturers will take an average of between 14 mths for a high mileage user to 3 yrs for a low-mileage driver (ie after the sell-out "4-yr date as a guide). Tires blow-outs are usually bec of under-inflation and high speed driving (due to excessive heat build-up) - hence on the drivers door sills, the car manufacturer would always state the normal air pressure and a higher air pressure for constant high speed, long distance driving.
In fact "technically" too there are "no expiry" on the life of a tire - provided that there is no visible damage to the side-walls - hence we still see alot of re-thread tires being used and these are bought mainly by very cost-concious drivers, taxis, fleet operators like buses and trucks - and often these are very much ordinary tires and some are not even of the multi-steel belted side-wall construction type.

informative...

Top Bottom