Transmission Fail Safe Mode due to water

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dicsitar

Club Guest
Hi,

Whenever my car, a BMW E39 525i, runs over deep puddle of water on the road, the transmission shuts off and goes into 'Transmission Fail-Safe Mode'. This has happened more than once. And each time my mechanic hoists up the car and clears water from 2 connectors beneath the transmission pan. I asked him if this can be resolved permanently; and he said no. So I am posing this question to the forum: Is there a permanent resolution to this problem?

If the connector is the problem, why dont you wrap a piece of plastic over the connector and zip tight it.

aisay bro...mana boleh kenot resolve.mesti boleh punya.the crude way is like wat uncle J mentioned.the permanent solution is to examine the electrical connector properly and see the 'O' ring is ok or otherwise.most likely O ring koyak ady otherwise water kenot go in wan.change the connector if it is avail.(most likely not avail)
in my 6 years of e39 ownership,i have never encountered a tranny message in light or heavy downpour and never had the requirement to remove the connector.so if i were you i would use silicone sealant and lightly seal the electrical connector externally but not to overdo it that you cannot remove it later.....

I had similar problem with my e39 once when I was traveling back from Perak and was raining heavily. I replaced the worn out connector with a new one and had not any problem. Not need to tape it up as the new connector is cheap (RM60.00).

i wonder if all BMW Cars are equipped with 'flood safe mode' for important parts of the cars such as the engine, gearbox and electronics?

flood safe mode?

doubt if there are any manufacturer around to build a flood safe mode system.cars are just not designed to be driven thru floods but they certainly shud be able to withstand torrential rains.the youngest e39 is already 12 years and they need TLC.

Moots, your transmission need complete inspection. Only one shop has the tools, online software access and authorized license to do it.
M-Scope in Batu Caves

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herbert said:
I had similar problem with my e39 once when I was traveling back from Perak and was raining heavily. I replaced the worn out connector with a new one and had not any problem. Not need to tape it up as the new connector is cheap (RM60.00).
Hi Herbert, where did you get the connectors? Any workshops in town to fix this?

You can buy the connector from either Bavarian Auto or Bomin. They may not know which connector you are referring to so better ask the workshop to buy it. Go to WP Auto @ Pandan Mewah or Optimum Motorsports @ Kayu Ara (Goggle for their exact locations & contact numbers).

Deep said:
Moots, your transmission need complete inspection. Only one shop has the tools, online software access and authorized license to do it.
M-Scope in Batu Caves
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These guys are the best. They did wonders with my gearbox programming.

Top Bottom