Top overhaul M50B25

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Chrix

Club Guest
I tried searching but this question remained unanswered.In one of the threads, it was mentioned that a top overhaul would cost somewhere in the region of 1.5k. And that the cost would be cheaper if I were to source the parts needed myself. Any one stop shop to get the required stuff? . So my question is;What else would require replacing while the head is off? Vanos?At the moment the head gasket needs replacement. Oil is leaking all over the place, in the plugs, out the head, oh my god.Another thing, referring to the below diagram
7.png
If I'm not mistaken, that hose (item 1-5) goes to the intake just after the throttle body. While getting the belts changed the other day, I noticed the throttle body hose is a little oily. Mechanic said its the oil from the head, thanks to the shot gasket little bits of oil is getting in the intake system. Is there anything I should get done to clean up the intake system?Thanks a bunch sifu's and guru's!

You can get all the parts required at Bavarian Auto, or any other BMW part stockists around in KL.

Chrix;637418 said:
Is there anything I should get done to clean up the intake system?

If you can find "throttle body cleaner" or "carburetor cleaner", you can use it to clean your intake. Just avoid conttact withelectrical parts.

Can anyone be generous enough to list the parts I would need to do the top overhaul?

turbology;637828 said:
If you can find "throttle body cleaner" or "carburetor cleaner", you can use it to clean your intake. Just avoid conttact withelectrical parts.

I'll try that.

oil in the spark plug wells indicate a shot valve cover gasket and another common leak is the oil filter housing gasket(OFH).
i suggest you clean up the engine bay with engine degreaser and confirm the leak source BEFORE doing a top overhaul unless you are really sure the oil is pissing out the head gasket.got power loss?engine hesitation?does it drive lousy?do an engine compression test if required.never do a top overhaul unless absolutely necessary.if left to unqualified hands,it may become worse...........

moots;638424 said:
oil in the spark plug wells indicate a shot valve cover gasket and another common leak is the oil filter housing gasket(OFH).
i suggest you clean up the engine bay with engine degreaser and confirm the leak source BEFORE doing a top overhaul unless you are really sure the oil is pissing out the head gasket.got power loss?engine hesitation?does it drive lousy?do an engine compression test if required.never do a top overhaul unless absolutely necessary.if left to unqualified hands,it may become worse...........

Confirmed its the head gasket, there is oil in the sparks,inside & outside of the valve cover & engine. The oil pan gasket is also shot. Already changed the oil filter o ring as well.

The gasket was already on vacation when I got the car, could not tell if there is a powerloss...my previous 1.6 4 throttle is no comparison to this B25! yahooo!!

Ok guys, need so advice urgently.

I just called the workshop and he's advice is do a top overhaul cuz the head might probably be warped and it'd take several days (this is my only car!). What are symptoms of a warped head? overheating? mine does not have any overheating issue or white smoke or anything.

What are the chances of the head being warped?

Moots gave good advice in his post above. So unless you have other real signs of head gasket failure, just address the obvious problem first which is the oil leaks. These are easier and much cheaper to fix. Have you got any of these symptoms of HG failure? overheating, water in oil, oil in water, fumes in the coolant, cooling system overpressure, hard starting, poor running etc. Head warping is usually caused by overheating, as you have not overheated no reason to jump to the conclusion of warping or head gasket failure. If your mechanic insists its the head gasket you could get another opinion at another mechanic.

goggomobil;660189 said:
Have you got any of these symptoms of HG failure? overheating, water in oil, oil in water, fumes in the coolant, cooling system overpressure, hard starting, poor running etc.

Thats the thing, I didnt face any of the above problems. But I'm jinxed after the mechanic said (over the phone) the head could well be warped.

There is oil in the plugs, a mechanic said the gasket is shot when I went for a check of my steering rack.

OK you have oil leaks, and no symptoms of head gasket failure or warped head. If you still really want to do a top overhaul, go ahead its your money. While the head is off, might as well change the timing chain and tensioner, all 24 valves and followers, the vanos unit and anything else that's oily. Good luck.

goggomobil;660201 said:
OK you have oil leaks, and no symptoms of head gasket failure or warped head. If you still really want to do a top overhaul, go ahead its your money. While the head is off, might as well change the timing chain and tensioner, all 24 valves and followers, the vanos unit and anything else that's oily. Good luck.

Haha I see whats wrong here. My topic title is regarding top overhaul initially (cost & if I should do it since I'm replacing the head gasket anyway), however my post today is just regarding replacing of the head gaskets & chances of the head being warped...

Sorry for the misleading posts. lol

Anyway, since I'm not facing any symptoms of head warp means chances are low that the head is actually warped right? (sounds obvious I know)

Top Bottom