The inconsistencies in BMW Service Inclusive

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

X5Fan

Club Guest
Just to share my experience and concerns.

I bought my X5 which I intended to use as a 2nd car from AB Glenmarie in May 2012. I was advised to bring the vehicle for servicing at least once a year due to our hot and humid climate, even though the mileage is expected to be low. In June 2013, mileage less than 5k km, I brought the vehicle to Ingress Sg Pencala. Only routine inspection and oil change was done and it was FOC.

Earlier today with mileage less than 9K km, I dutifully brought my car to AB Glenmarie as initially advised for the yearly inspection and servicing. However, I was surprised when they refused to service the car FOC because it was not 'due'. I was told by the SA Mohd Ariff, that apparently BMW Malaysia has changed the maintenance schedule after I bought my vehicle. The current 1st schedule is 20k km or 24 months whichever comes first; and subsequent services at similar intervals. I asked him when is my next service and his answer is October this year or 16k km whichever comes first; which was shown by the BMW service data printout. I pointed to him that Oct this year is also not according to the current maintenance schedule which he had just told me. He was unable to answer except that he has to follow what is shown on the computer screen for my car service data. Apparently if AB does not follow the service data, they will not be reimbursed by BMW Malaysia if they still proceed in servicing my car. I also asked him why was my car accepted by Ingress for servicing less than 5K km mileage, a year ago. He was unable to answer.

By the way, even though I bought the X5 in 2012; I was told that the production year was 2011. This was also stated in the JPJ car registration card. However the printout of my car service data shows that the production date as being Nov 19, 2010. Has AB committed a fraud when both myself and JPJ were misled about the actual production date?

Unhappy with the SA explanations, I asked to see any of their managers. I was told none of them were in. I asked for their names but my request was refused. Apparently names of AB Glenmarie managers are closely guarded secrets. After I insisted and after behind the scene discussion between the SA and his supervisors (a good 20 minutes), finally I was given their names; Mr Anthony David (service manager) and Mr Sreedoran (customer service head). I left since nothing more can be done.

I called up Ingress Sg Pencala to get their story. My car was accepted for free servicing a year ago (even though the mileage was less than 5k km) because my car service data at that time indicated that BMW Malaysia will reimburse for the servicing. So my next question was when is the next service due. On checking the online service data, the answer was June 2015 or 25k km; whichever earlier (compared to AB Glenmarie Oct 2014 answer). I pointed to him that June 2015 means it will already exceeded 3 years free servicing period and strictly following it will mean that in that 3 year period, my car only get 1 free inspection and 1 oil change. He was kind to suggest that I bring in the car just before the servicing expiry date and hopefully the service data then, shows that the car is accepted for free servicing. It's something like bring the car in and let's cross our fingers. Obviously BMW Malaysia online service data rules although it rules differently at AB Glenmarie and Ingress Sg Pencala. It seems BMW distributors are tied to whatever this online service data shows irrespective of whether it is logical or in conflict with its stated schedule or not, since that it how they are reimbursed.

My concerns are
1. the changes, inconsistencies and differences in servicing schedule by BMW Malaysia and between its authorized distributors AB Glenmarie and Ingress Sg Pencala.

2. the apparent discrepancy in the production date of my car; 2011 in JPJ car registration card but Nov 19, 2010 in my car service data.

Any thoughts ??

the production year is a normal thing. even mercedes does it. the worst I have seen is in the grant year of manufacture is 2009, but when check realoem, its september 2008 :(. AP car's are even worse, sometimes its 2 years difference!

Regarding the servicing, i would rather pay for it rather than waiting that long!

Top Bottom