The Best Ladybug

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Juan Powerblow

Club Guest
What would be your best choice of a car for pottering around town with priority on reliability, economy and chic appeal? You only have a budget of RM100K or below.

Originally posted by saat@Apr 19 2005, 08:42 AM
Push your price up a bit and get a JAZZ
Ummm.... that's a very good idea too! But for hypothetical reasons, what would you choose from the poll options?

It would be a toss between the City and the Vios. But my vote went to the City. But in reality, I bought my daughter an Aveo at 70K. She wanted an easy car to park and drive with an especially short rear.

Originally posted by saat@Apr 19 2005, 08:50 AM
It would be a toss between the City and the Vios. But my vote went to the City. But in reality, I bought my daughter an Aveo at 70K. She wanted an easy car to park and drive with an especially short rear.
My dad bought my little sis a Vios and it's proving to be very reliable and fuss-free. The looks also grew on me! It's funny, these cars are in the Proton category but they're proving to be far more reliable. In terms of looks, I chose the Proton Gen-2 and that may be my choice for my mom (...or as Saat suggested, spend a bit more for a Jazz!) :p

I almost put down on a Gen2 because of the looks and the performance but I could not sit comfortably in the back and the ride was harsh.

Agree on the reliability of the Vios.

The Aveo is very roomy inside and the drive is surprisingly spritely yet very confortable. It is a very easy car to drive.

i will choose city..... i think it looks better...... but in reality i will buy a car with shorter rear like saat said, because ladies are more prone to all those minor minor scretches when comes to a longer rear end car.....

Nissan Sentra will be my first choice la actually, but not on the list.....

Originally posted by willie@Apr 19 2005, 09:06 AM
i will choose city..... i think it looks better...... but in reality i will buy a car with shorter rear like saat said, because ladies are more prone to all those minor minor scretches when comes to a longer rear end car.....

Nissan Sentra will be my first choice la actually, but not on the list.....
Dang! Nissan Sentra was one of the choices I initially wanted to put in but was not sure whether it's priced below RM100K. Most of the choices above are priced between RM60K to RM90K....

JPB, i think it support to be Peugeot 206 instead of 207,correct me if i'm wrong.........Go for peugeot 206..........GO....GO......GO........Singa 206....... :D

For the wifey I got her the City VTEC and so far no complains. Plenty of power for a 1.5l and I just took it up Frasers Hill with a breeze. Engine didn't struggle at all and didn't even need to shift it into S (Sport) mode or use the Steermatic (manual). Oh the Steermatic is good to have too esp when you want to control your shifting manually (eg steptronic) and get the feel of the VTEC kicking in at the higher rpms.

Did contemplate the Vios initially but found the interior very cramp and build quality wasn't as good. Furthermore the trade in and overtrade $$ given by Honda was so so so much better so it was a no brainer... get the Honda. If had more dough would have considered the Jazz VTEC but for over 100k, way over priced for a small car like that.

Just my 2 kupangs....

My wife got a Vios. Damn good car. Fuss free, excellent consumption and pretty spirited when floored. Almost as nimble as a Kancil but you would not believe it when the speedo says 140.

In fact on purely driving excitement, it is about on balance as compared to my E46 coupe.

in terms of looks i would go for the Vios but in terms of practicality, the City gets my vote. Is the i-DSi model's power sufficient (for wifey)? Heard it is very economical.

Waiting to see the new Perodua launching next month before she decides. Her previous Kancil and current Kelisa is so economical to run/maintain & reliable ...thumbs up except for the constant rattling sound inside the car.

Does anyone know whether Honda City is on the car thieves' wanted list?

surprised a few of you mentioned the Sentra. Isnt the looks dated oledi having been around for so long? Plus Nissan's new bodykit for the Sentra seems too big at the rear.

Gee ...

JPB ... this is harder than I thought. Okay, here we go la - strictly based on your list ....

Wife - Kia Spectra
Gal pal - Toyota Vios
Daughter - Chevy Aveo
Mistress - Pug 206/7

Cheers,

Funny, i thought that at least somebody would say an E30.

If it were me with a 100k to blow. I would but a nice E30 convertible ( 50k max) and spend the rest on an engine conversion 328 or 330, then use the balance on making the car brand new.

I can't ever imagine saying to the wife "c'mon let's go for a drive up to Genting" and then jumping into a Vios of Jazz... but taking an E30 cab out on a Sunday drive, especially one with a 3.0l engine... that's something else.

Originally posted by Slide@Apr 20 2005, 08:21 AM
Funny, i thought that at least somebody would say an E30.

If it were me with a 100k to blow. I would but a nice E30 convertible ( 50k max) and spend the rest on an engine conversion 328 or 330, then use the balance on making the car brand new.

I can't ever imagine saying to the wife "c'mon let's go for a drive up to Genting" and then jumping into a Vios of Jazz... but taking an E30 cab out on a Sunday drive, especially one with a 3.0l engine... that's something else.
The problem is not many wives, mothers, girlfriends or mistresses would appreciate an E30 even with a 3.0L in the bonnet especially if they already know you're very involved in this Club, they would think you're buying the car for yourself. The idea of spending lonely nights in the dawg haus for such a boo-boo is quite intimidating. For me, mom won't cook my favorite curry chicken anymore.... :cry:

I guess you are right, i should count myself lucky that my girlfriend is supportive and loves BMW's as well. She had a great time driving at Sepang the other day and i do believe that she was the only girl driving on and off the track that day.....

Top Bottom