temperature high..help..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mika

Club Guest
dear bmwers,i have just got my e39. i know it is my first post here and i am start asking question. sorry.hope you can help diagnose my problem.my problem is with the termometer. when i am driving, the meter will move from the half point to the end of the half point. after roughlly 2-3 minute it will go back to the half point mark. strangely, this will keep repeating itself until i shut down the engine.is it something to be concern at? i have heard from some source that it is normal the temperature will go slightly to the right. thank you :)

Mika,

Introduce yourself in the newbie section first so that other members can get to know you better.
Anyway, welcome to the club.

Temp at mid point is normal after 2 to 3 minutes of driving. I don't understand what you meant by "when i am driving, the meter will move from the half point to the end of the half point." Can you be more specific??

temperature gauge should always be in the middle. check your thermostat sensor. you really don't want to have temperature issues. if left unchecked will lead to big hole(s) in the pocket!

herbert;473428 said:
Mika,

Introduce yourself in the newbie section first so that other members can get to know you better.
Anyway, welcome to the club.

Temp at mid point is normal after 2 to 3 minutes of driving. I don't understand what you meant by "when i am driving, the meter will move from the half point to the end of the half point." Can you be more specific??

hi herbert,

noted. :)

i have attached a handdrawn pics. the needle is the red arrow that moves between the indicated 2 columns. (sorry my drawing skills not that good)

mika;473459 said:
hi herbert,

noted. :)

i have attached a handdrawn pics. the needle is the red arrow that moves between the indicated 2 columns. (sorry my drawing skills not that good)

mika, nice sketch.. You could have describe as

"The needle went from middle mark to 3/4 (three quarter) mark"

BTW, getting back to your problem.

1. The temperature rising from 1/2 mark to 3/4 only happen when you are stationary like stuck in a traffic jam.

2. Does it also happen when you moving a speed like > 60km/h?

You might have a problem with the thermostat.

jarance;473466 said:
BTW, getting back to your problem.

1. The temperature rising from 1/2 mark to 3/4 only happen when you are stationary like stuck in a traffic jam.

2. Does it also happen when you moving a speed like > 60km/h?

You might have a problem with the thermostat.

bro jarance,

both condition (stationary or not) also rising to 3/4 mark...

Things to check/change
1) Hose
2) Termostat
3) Water pump
4) Temp sensor
5) Fan clutch
6) Radiator (in case for blockage)

If all above fails, change car. (kidding)

mika;473471 said:
bro jarance,

If like this, then the problem could be due to the radiator clutch fan or the electric fan.

Better have the radiator system check:-

1. Thermostat
2. Water pump
3. Coolant Level
4. Bleed the air from the system. Sometime air locked in the radiator system will cause havoc to the cooling system.

Hi Bro Deep,

Introduce properly at newbie section.. laa.. lets us welcome u laa.. Ada free welcome drink somemore.. haha. ok.. coming back to ur problem. This is my 2 cents. Check your top hose and bottom hose - must be near same temperature.. if top is damn hot.. bottom hose is not .. it might be due to jammed thermostat. It will block the water passing thru the radiator. Normal rating for 523-528 is 92 Celcius. Another model is bout lower temp bout 76 or 86 cant remember. If u kiasu.. choose the lower rating. Choosing the thermostat there are 2 types - one is single spring another is double spring loaded. Again.. choose the better one la. First of all.. when your mechanic remove the thermostat housing.. take note of your thermostat position. The pointed part is facing you. If that thing facing inward.. take it out.. and shoved it into the persons ass.. who did it.. hahaha. Good luck bro.. better dont delay.. complacency made me change the whole damn engine.. Painful lesson..

lol..after 3 yrs being a member, then only ask arr? hahaha...anyway, thanks and will do lah..sorry to hijack post a bit.

If the meter needle fluctuates from 1/2 to 3/4 even during driving, there's only one suspicion..!!! Meter Kaput liao:65:

If there's any sort of overheating during stationary, the meter should shoot right up to the RED mark. Nevertheless, if all the relevant parts has been checked and tested, yet the problem persist, then its confirmed temp meter kaput.

Try getting your hands in a loan Meter and get that tested out first.

my 2 cents.

mika;473471 said:
bro jarance,

Bro get your termostat changed, Check your Clutch fan and your electric fan one of the speeds is out on your fan....there is a few speeds. I suspect its your electric fan after a drive when you put of your engine and start your engine after afew minutes your Fan must turn at high speed the the 3rd speed. so will your clutch fan. check this few item and do it FAST Real FAST it will crack your cyilinder head. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR WHEN THE TEMPRETURE IS UP ABOVE THE MIDDLE LINE.

My e39(528i) exhibit the same symptom as your car when i flushed the old coolant and replaced it with new.Boiling coolant actually came out the sides of the radiator cap, so I thought maybe the cap was bad.After replacing the cap, nothing changed and the car kept on running hot.Finally, I realised I forgot to purge the air out of the system.With one twist of the air bleeder screw(located next to the radiator cap), the problem was solved.

You might want to try this for a start.It may be a long shot, but its at least worth trying since its free and only takes about 10 minutes of your time.If not, it could be other components in the cooling system.

Most important of all, I suggest you take your car off the road for the time being until the problem is solved.Continuing to drive this way will lead to other failures(ruptured hoses,blown head gasket, etc.)which will be costly to fix.

Top Bottom