Temp Gauge Reading

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tongsatriani

Club Guest
Hello,Was curious on the actual Temp gauge reading. Mine is showing a half mark reading all times. I remember most cars (Proton, Toyota, Honda, even Merc) will show a 1/3 or max near half but not half readings. Can advise? :dunno:

Yup, it should be reading at 1/2...but my previous ride's temp was only showing at 1/4 :dunno:

Originally posted by jeffreyewe@Sep 27 2005, 09:29 AM
Yup, it should be reading at 1/2...but my previous ride's temp was only showing at 1/4 :dunno:
Mine (E34) used to show 1/4 too until I changed the fan clutch....

Mine shows 1/2 too whether early morning or stuck in a traffic jam mid-day heat. The other difference I note is that it reaches this "1/2" operating temperature within 1/2 km of driving. My proton has to be run at least 3 km before it reaches its normal temperature.

A neighbour of mine who is a long time UDM'er says it means the thermostat is working well: brings up temp quickly when cold and maintains temp constantly when hot.

My temp gauge normally shows 1 or 2 mins left of the middle (12 o-clock) point when moving but if stuck in a jam or on a very hot day its normally right smack in the middle or 1 min to the right of middle.

I do notice tho on older cars, the temp & fuel guages may not be so accurate. Perhaps the wiring is old or the contact points are not so good so sometimes the meter reading may be slightly off or not as accurate. Anyone notice this to?

Originally posted by mkmenon@Sep 27 2005, 10:16 AM
A neighbour of mine who is a long time UDM'er says it means the thermostat is working well: brings up temp quickly when cold and maintains temp constantly when hot.
Yes.That is exactly the function of a thermostat.Bring it up to operating temps as quickly as possible and maintains the temp at the designated operating range or according to the thermostat's temp range.

My temp indicator sits right on the middle mark. However on a very hot day, stationary it goes beyond the middle mark by a tad.

Originally posted by ehoe@Sep 27 2005, 12:45 PM
I do notice tho on older cars, the temp & fuel guages may not be so accurate. Perhaps the wiring is old or the contact points are not so good so sometimes the meter reading may be slightly off or not as accurate. Anyone notice this to?
Ha ha, if I smack the top of my dashboard real hard, the meter reading will jump. I have gotta to smack it again to bring it back to normal. :D

hahaha... there was once I had a friend whom smacked his dash so hard that the needle/arm on the meter came loose and fell off!. It was quite funny :yahoo:

Then had to remove the whole meter console, open it up to reinstall the needle/arm. Whilst he had the meter open he tighten all the connections and his temp & fuel gauge was more accurate after reinstall. That proves that old cars have loose connection or bad contact between the meters and the circuit board that can cause inaccurate readings.

Top Bottom