Suspension (E30)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

joyi

Club Guest
Hi, i'm looking into buying some Eibach springs and perhaps Bilstein absorbers. The thing is that I don't want just some standard 'sport' suspension out of the box, I need the springs to be made to a custom spring rate and the absorbers to go with them.Here I pose two questions: Is there anywhere I can purchase these in KL? And how would I go about determining the ideal spring rate and absorbers for the car before installing them?I know that you have to drive the car around to fine-tune the suspension for what you want, but I do have a general idea of how I want my car to perform - and I just need some advice on how hard I should have the front and rear springs. I'm trying to tune this car to perform on our bad roads without hampering too much on the cornering. So would I be looking at harder springs but softer absorbers so that I can drive over lumps, holes, dead bodys and whatnot on the road without the car lifting off too much? I'm not sure if my thinking is right here, but when I saw some of the suspension tuning done to some drift cars in Japan (on video, i've never actually been to Japan), I noticed that one of the cars clipped the curbs very nicely without jumping too much but yet during cornering the car hardly rolled at all - so I came to the conclusion that his springs and rollbar system must be pretty stiff but his absorbers softer. Either that or it's an issue with weight? I think it was a Silvia S14, I do notice that the AE86s usually lift off after clipping the curb, but I do notice that some of the bigger cars do that too. Anyway, if my thinking is wrong I blame Mary Jane, and i'd really like someone to correct me if I am.Also, would stock E30 rollbars be enough? Or should I look into the M3 ones, or Eibach or whatever?What about Titan suspension systems? I heard they can build you anything you want, but i'm not too sure on the quality.

About RM6k, which makes getting Eibach rollbars pretty much out the window... Btw, I noticed that suspension in Europe is pretty reasonable, would it be a good idea to buy it there? I'm going to Germany for 5 weeks anyway.

Can do a fair bit with RM6k...

Aftermarket Antiroll bar would be about RM2k
Bilstein Sport would b about RM2k+
if u opt for Eibach Pro Kit it's RM1K
u can go for Ground Control springs which u can specify the springs rate for front and rear... www.ground-control.com

MOD MOD MOD....

Thanks for the Info. Is there any place you can point me to for me to check out if I were to purchase Bilsteins or Eibachs? What's your opinion between the two brands?

And what about adjustable camber kits, any recommendations?

Customizing the suspension to ur specific requirement is not an easy feat.
Locally, TITAN is doing it. Dunno abt the rest.

But the biggest challenge is tuning it .. ROad condition, tire pressure, rim contour, weather (yes .. weather .. ), tire compound .. adds diff parameters to the tuning.

I am also a bit particular abt my suspension (in my previous E30).
Towards the end - yeah after spending a lot of $$) I settle for something practical; Bilstein + Eibach. I want harder - I just pump in 1 or 2 psi more.

Its cheaper in US but if you are in germany for 5weeks. then beter buy it there & bring it back. As for Spings, you really need to try out yourself. For me the Eibach (of the shelf) is soft but it may be what you want. Like Fabian pointed out GC sells pretty good set ups.

Ok, my friend's Civic is running 8kg front, and 6kg rear - i think, something like that. Anyway, waaaay too soft for my liking. I was looking into at least 10kg for the front, but then I also realised that my E30 is at least half a tonne lighter than his EK, so what would that mean? Does that mean that lower spring rate would have a harder effect on my car because it's lighter? (As compared with a heavier car)

Oooooh, and another thing: Having Eibach springs, and Bilstein Absorbers, why do people prefer to do that rather than getting Eibach Pro Kit and Pro Damper together? And vice-versa for the Bilstiens. I would imagine that suspension would work together better if they're of the same brand, but that's just an assumption lah.

Try here for more info on the spring rate...
www.r3vlimited.com

but be forewarned that u'll be flamed for asking stupid questions... do a search first...

btw, u sure the E30 is lighter than the EK??? the E30 is about 1200kg

Originally posted by joyi@Aug 22 2005, 02:04 PM
Oooooh, and another thing: Having Eibach springs, and Bilstien Absorbers, why do people prefer to do that rather than getting Eibach Pro Kit and Pro Damper together? And vice-versa for the Bilstiens. I would imagine that suspension would work together better if they're of the same brand, but that's just an assumption lah.
FYI, Bilsteins springs are made by Eibach although the spring rates are slightly different. Ground Control springs are made by Eibach too.. ;)

u can always opt springs+shocks if u got the budget to splash on it.

The Bilstein Springs+shocks combo is good too.... Someone here is running tat combo...

Try sitting in E30s with different suspension set up to see what are the variance.. it helps to make decision rather than looking at numbers...

Ah nice! Thanks again for all the info guys!

Oh yah, I checked on the EK3 weight and its not that much heavier. But it certainly feels a lot heavier compared to my E30... Anyway, whats the spring rates on the Eibach Pro Kit? I can't find it anywhere online :blink:

Oh yah, I forgot about Apex! How are the Apex Springs on the E30? Anybody care to comment?

Best to buy a set which the absorbers are tuned to the springs. For coilovers, you can do a search for Ground Control (Eibach+Bilstein combo). That bugger with the "320i" was telling me about how good this ground control is.

If non-coilovers, try the Apex sports kit - springs from Apex, absorbers from Koni but tuned to Apex specifications. Zoggee has this on his yellow submarine.

OSF

Dun ask that bugger with the 320i but ask the pork king how it was on the 320i when he drove it! he h eh ehe.
So you wanna order?

joyi, ask Zoggee the pork king. He has tested both the ground control and the Apex Sports Kit.

Myself, I don't want ground control. I want wallet control.

Top Bottom