..Supercharger and engine lifespan..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ecc0

Associate Member
..simple as it is..I would like to know, does supercharger 'killing' engine or not?? ESS folks said NO, but i would like to hear, also from people who actually have first hand experience with superchargers and what is the word about it..im not talking about drag racing car or what not, but normal utilizing and eventually, here and there, 'punch it', but nothing extreme..so, whats the word guys?? Thanks in advance for any valid/useful input..

Bro Ecc0,

I'd compare NA to Forced Induction as "A tablet of Panadol Extra a day won't kill you but will definitely have side effect to your internals in long run"

Definitely a bit more stress for the engine internal... But more importantly is the tuning and proper maintenance.

I remember a quote from ramsing that is something like this:

- go for turbocharge if you want long term tunability, boost and when it'd kick-in, hence you decide when you want the dose of Panadol Extra.
- supercharger could be more expensive than turbocharger and not so tunable especially on the boost side but advantage is you get the kick across all rpm band.

End of day, you decide what you want and how much paracetamol and caffeine you'd want to take.

For now, I take "milo ais" (NA) for all my rides.

seewai;750028 said:
I remember a quote from ramsing that is something like this:

- go for turbocharge if you want long term tunability, boost and when it'd kick-in, hence you decide when you want the dose of Panadol Extra.
- supercharger could be more expensive than turbocharger and not so tunable especially on the boost side but advantage is you get the kick across all rpm band.

End of day, you decide what you want and how much paracetamol and caffeine you'd want to take.

For now, I take "milo ais" (NA) for all my rides.

Your 'milo ais' gelas besar maaaaa

dropped my Red Bull, Kacip Fatimah, Kopi Orang kampung ...

On 'air suam' jer ...

less headache ...

Seewai now u have yourself a 'milo ais dinosaur'.
Anyways,i think supercharging surely got effect to the internals on a LONG run.
But only those guys with experience long enough with supercharging can validate this though

..im asking, based on my assumption that engine should sustain more power than power determined by default setup (otherwise, i believe its called bad design, if system running on its structural integrity peak as default), so I thought that supercharging is not affecting engine, long as it is under certain limits, I do not know, so, here I am, asking..in email i have received from ESS, clearly staying that engine is not under any danger, considering that power it can sustain is, 3 times more than one engine has with supercharger..so im a bit blurred and I hope to hear voice of folks who have real world experience and actual use of supercharger..

Ecc0;750071 said:
..im asking, based on my assumption that engine should sustain more power than power determined by default setup (otherwise, i believe its called bad design, if system running on its structural integrity peak as default), so I thought that supercharging is not affecting engine, long as it is under certain limits, I do not know, so, here I am, asking..in email i have received from ESS, clearly staying that engine is not under any danger, considering that power it can sustain is, 3 times more than one engine has with supercharger..so im a bit blurred and I hope to hear voice of folks who have real world experience and actual use of supercharger..

bmw engines are built like a tank...no worries on the internals if you keep to the ESS spec boost of 0.7bar....however, you tell them you have only €2 petrol & RON97 here. they will tune it for here. Other than that, dun worry about the engine blowing.. it will be fun, as long you dun over stress the engine by adding more boost.

hahaha....yes, it willl have an effect on internals in the long run. long run would prob like maybe 500,000 km's or more. it all depends on the mods. adding a supercharger wont have much of a difference, until ur tuning is bad. if everything is matched well, then should be no issues.

as with all mods, u have to first make sure ur engine is in good health. if it's already in bad shape, dont expect miracles. then u look at your power goals. then look at the kit you're getting. read up on ppl's reviews. ESS has a good kit, tuning from what i've seen is very good. then make sure installation is done by someone who know's what he's doing.

ecco...if you're ready to scare yourself silly, then the vt500 or vt550 is waiting for you. i hope you have a good washing machine at home to was the skid marks. hehehe

if am not wrong Gintani superchargers for the e92 M3 series runs bout 4psi on their stage 1 kit which puts out bout 500 odd horsepower. Not too bad and 4psi is relatively low boost. A well designed kit with intercooling etc.
Probably some bros here would have experience with G power superchargers?

Top Bottom