Sudden transient engine death on my E90!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ck318ci

Club Guest
Guys, Hope you can help me on this I have a 08 320I SE which only done 27km and has full service history from Ingress Auto. Last one was carried out about 2k kms ago. When I was driving home just now, i suddenly felt a lost of power while all all electronics were working. The car slowly came down to a halt and the steering felt heavy, luckily was in a the housing estate hence was doing really low speed. Cant imagine if this happens when I was doing 100kph on the motorway! I stopped the car and re-started the car with no problems. The car drove as per normal and now parked at home. I am concern and dare not take thic car out until I am sure is fit to be on the road. Hope fellow members can give me some pointers to what might have gone wrong. I will call Ingress Auto next week after Raya and get it check many thanks in advance for any feedback regards CK

bummer.. i'm sorry to hear your predicament bro. do update us once they've determined the cause.

Were you slowing down to a stop i.e. over a speed bump just before the engine died?

E46Fanatic;456528 said:
Were you slowing down to a stop i.e. over a speed bump just before the engine died?

No mate, It was round the bend, I was slowing down to make a turn and the engine just died.
Dont know whether I was paranoid, I felt that the steering is quite heavy this morning, compare to normal.

Need to send the car back to Ingress for a check

ck318ci;456535 said:
No mate, It was round the bend, I was slowing down to make a turn and the engine just died.
Dont know whether I was paranoid, I felt that the steering is quite heavy this morning, compare to normal.

Need to send the car back to Ingress for a check

Ya I had this problem at about the same mileage as well. Always during a slowdown less than 20 km/hr. Strangely enough it was solved when I changed to the performance filter. The car idles higher after the filter change and it may be due to a clogged air filter. You car seems to be stalling under similar conditions. Usually our cars have an anti stall feature, where ECU compensates for stalling symptoms. It stalls because when you are slowing down the tranny is downshifting and rpms drop too low before a downshift happens, causing the car to stall. Usually happens under faster decelerations i.e. 3rd gear shifting down to 1st gear speeds.

Anyway, have IA chk on it. We have different engines anyways.

E46Fanatic;456625 said:
Ya I had this problem at about the same mileage as well. Always during a slowdown less than 20 km/hr. Strangely enough it was solved when I changed to the performance filter. The car idles higher after the filter change and it may be due to a clogged air filter. You car seems to be stalling under similar conditions. Usually our cars have an anti stall feature, where ECU compensates for stalling symptoms. It stalls because when you are slowing down the tranny is downshifting and rpms drop too low before a downshift happens, causing the car to stall. Usually happens under faster decelerations i.e. 3rd gear shifting down to 1st gear speeds.

Anyway, have IA chk on it. We have different engines anyways.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated, I will keep note of that and seek advise from IA

Waited the whole raya holiday, called IA this morning and they are fully booked!!
So have to wait til next week before the car runs again

waiting games continue, now happily playing with the VW Polo... hahaha

regards

CK

Got the car back from IA the other day,
they mentioned something that the software in the car is a bit outdated and they have updated that for me, Couldnt find any faults on the diagnostic machines and all sensors were fine.

Hope this is it. Car drives beautifully again.

ck

ck318ci;461611 said:
they mentioned something that the software in the car is a bit outdated and they have updated that for me
ck

What version is the software? BTW, does anyone know how do we tell what version of software is installed in our E9x ? Anyway of telling what version via some push button sequence etc?

P.S Even you can find out firmware versions on any Nokia phone by *#0000#

Top Bottom