Steering Lock Malfunction - E87

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

K.K.

Club Guest
Did any of the 1er's out there suffering from steering column/steering locking mechanism problem?This is a known defect in E90s and was discussed http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12873&highlight=steering+lock in BMWCM and Bimmerfest.This problem is also discussed in BabyBMW.net.I think 1 of us, forummer mnas, encountered the same prob, too!
bmwsteering.jpg

The yellow light has been coming on every now and then on my 120i (mileage 51K km). This is solved each time by releasing the key fob and re-entering it again into the keyhole. Previous victims testified that this yellow light will inevitably turn into the red light of death, and that's when the car will not be started.Just made a call to IA and the SA asked me to send my car in for a software update. Asked him how much it costs for the whole steering column change - estimated RM2,000++! :eek: Good grief!So whose else's steering is showing signs of screw-up? :62: I know mine's gonna be a gone case soon!The Death List:1) mnas - 2007 120i Sports2) K.K. - 2005 120i

yup , encountered that and got it fixed for my 120 and 325 during the warranty period, quite some time back..

haven't hv time to fix mine yet. didn't knw about this issue initially. din hav much thought bout it after the first encounter with the yellow light. i'd straighten the steering everytime i turn the ignition off - i thought that would place less stress on the locking mechanism and lessen the jamming probability (which i think helps in a way). until i was browsing the forum for "steering lock" and chance upon the e90 thread.

the yellow light come up once in a blue moon now, about once in a mth or two. crap, must start saving for the steering column! :33:

K.K.;470062 said:
Did any of the 1er's out there suffering from steering column/steering locking mechanism problem?
This is a known defect in E90s and was discussed http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12873&highlight=steering+lock in BMWCM and Bimmerfest.
This problem is also discussed in BabyBMW.net.

I think 1 of us, forummer mnas, encountered the same prob, too!

bmwsteering.jpg

The yellow light has been coming on every now and then on my 120i (mileage 51K km). This is solved each time by releasing the key fob and re-entering it again into the keyhole. Previous victims testified that this yellow light will inevitably turn into the red light of death, and that's when the car will not be started.

Just made a call to IA and the SA asked me to send my car in for a software update. Asked him how much it costs for the whole steering column change - estimated RM2,000++! :eek: Good grief!

So whose else's steering is showing signs of screw-up? :62: I know mine's gonna be a gone case soon!

The Death List:
1) mnas - 2007 120i Sports
2) K.K. - 2005 120i

For added info ... E60 also encounter the same problem. At that point of time, it was under warranty, so no issue in replacing it. For the benefit of all bimmer owners, I believe BMW should come out with an RCA to find out how this 'locked-up' thing can occur. Not just replacing it!
What if it happens after warranty period???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

dzuljazz2001;472169 said:
For added info ... E60 also encounter the same problem. At that point of time, it was under warranty, so no issue in replacing it. For the benefit of all bimmer owners, I believe BMW should come out with an RCA to find out how this 'locked-up' thing can occur. Not just replacing it!
What if it happens after warranty period???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

so it's a known defect across the range! wat's RCA bro?
they were the one who designed the thingy and with so many complaints and replacements, that's just blatant ignorance on their part.

Top Bottom