steering free play fix query

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

silbi

Club Guest
hi guyalready intrdocued myself in the newbie section...great forum u have here!anyways...just got myself a e36 318i, been a honda owner, so just wanted to feel having abimmer now :) ... but feeling like the steering freeplay is a little bit on the high side...have already done a suspension overhaul (kind of) ...change most of the front + rear bushings etc... cost 3k+ to do at Bomin Auto jln ipoh...but still feeling the freeplay :(so what shud i do next? im on a budget already now ... so any economical solutions are most welcomed... i.e. cheapest...if i just change the front tie-rods, will this give any big improvements? it's kinda cheap at about rm200 per pair.i know steering coupling also could be another guilty party but a few spare parts oly sell the whole set which cost nearly rm800+ ... any cheaper price out there?and i read somewhere that for steering coupling can just put that black silicone type around the area for cheap fix... but not sure how this can be doneor is there some sort of screw that could be adjusted to make the steering stiffer?any suggestions welcomed! thx!

Tie rod is a common steering free play culprit and it is considered a wear and tear item. An experience alignment sifu can pin point the cause of your steering free play. Check with them.

thx for d info bro...will def check out...but shud i be worry about the steering coupling and other stuff as well?

thx

silbi;787655 said:
i know steering coupling also could be another guilty party but a few spare parts oly sell the whole set which cost nearly rm800+ ... any cheaper price out there?

Hey dude, sent you a PM!

Regarding the tie-rods, do be careful as at that price it could be a high chance that its fake. Either that or they meant per tie-rod? Get OEM lemforder ones.

Could you also give us more info on what bushings you changed for RM3k+? Seems like a lot of money for bushings... I know that it would cost about RM 300-400 labour for front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings.

thx bro

well, it's not just bushings...it's a whole list of bushings + brake pad stuff + part suspension stuff from front + rear ... will try to list em down soon...about 3 pages of them lol ... and yupp, all done in Bomin Auto Jln Ipih ...i hope i got a fair price for the work done. i might wanna try BM Works in batu caves on my next trip :)

Np dude!

Ah that makes more sense then. Would be good if you could list it! Then we can see what you have replaced and try and pin point the problematic part.

thx bro

here's my list...the receipt was handwritten...can't really read out what was written but think these are most of the stuff that i could gather /read from it lol...will contact the workshop again just to know exactly what some of the items were

Replaced parts:-

Front
Brake discs -
Lower arm ball joint
Lower arm bush
Stabilizer linkage
Steering side rod (is this the tie rod ?)
Steering pillow
Cylinder pipe
Stabilizer bar bush
Hose clamp
Alignment + Pump (?)

[U]Rear[/U]
Absorbers
Mount absorber (?)
Damper
Some o-ring stuff (i think??)
Push button

all these plus labour... 3k...gulp!

so im not sure if the price is ok for now...but still after all that, i still have freeplay on my steering :(

hence looking for a quick cheap fix for the steering since going money-less already hmmm :p

Maybe steering rack is the culprit..i chged mine,settle..found the rack n pinion worn out..

i see... yupp the rack might be a culprit too...did you change the whole set? how much was it? and where did u do it?

heard there's a steering fix kit or something...about rm200+ only... might consider that option too i guess

I chg the whole set..cost me 600 including labor charge.the kit is just to fix the leaks..u cant replace the rack n pinion inside..

silbi;787762 said:
thx bro

here's my list...the receipt was handwritten...can't really read out what was written but think these are most of the stuff that i could gather /read from it lol...will contact the workshop again just to know exactly what some of the items were

Replaced parts:-

Front
Brake discs -
Lower arm ball joint
Lower arm bush
Stabilizer linkage
Steering side rod (is this the tie rod ?)
Steering pillow
Cylinder pipe
Stabilizer bar bush
Hose clamp
Alignment + Pump (?)

Hmm, not sure how much each individual thing is so cant really comment on it lol.

I think the steering side rod is the tie-rod. Do you know what the steering pillow is?

You can see if your tie-rods have been changed. They will be clean compared to the other parts of the car.

Looks like most of the things that can cause play have been changed. I am not sure if the steering column bush is the steering pillow lol? Sounds like it but you usually cant change the bush unless you have the updated part.

How many km's does your car have? It isnt very likely that your steering rack is worn unless mileage is quite high.

From my experience it is the steering column bush that causes some play.

thx fro the comments bros

i think the steering rod is the tie rod...should have snapped the pics of those items that were replaced...will do that next time for sure

and will try to list each part's cost soon...

actually when i did this...it was a workday and was kinda rushing to get the job done soon...so when i got the bill, got shocked for a while, then just left the wshop and didnt really bother to ask in detailed about some of the parts haha...

but i'll try to drop by the workshop again to ask 'em...but still feeling a bit scared to enter any workshop now unless i can sort out my finances now :p

just checked...tie rod has been changed actually...teering coupling ok...the culprit is most probably the steering rack...need rm800 to get that changed...

might wanna get a 2nd opinion for that soon

anyone know good cheap-ish reliable place to change the steering rack?

thx

BG boleh buat bro. last year when i was there. the chop shop stering rack only rm600. not include labour n minyak etc. this year price i not sure.

cool...btw what's BG? kat mana tu?

also someone asked to check giubo @ flex disc too? not sure this one more expensive to replace?

Changed mine due to stering rack leaking. Got d chop shop stering rack + engine oil deep stick both at RM350. Keep d defect rack if this new rack fail again will try to get stering rack service kit which is cheaper alternative.. but mine 318 m43

wow that' quite cheap...does it come with warranty? i know some place sell this for rm400 for no warranty. btw mine is 318i too :)

hope u can pm me the chop shop's contact no + address...

just not very sure whether it's the steering rack or the coupling now..

thx

Top Bottom