squeaky suspension??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Sungazer

Club Guest
I recently got an E46 318i Sep 2005.It seemed to be making a squeaking noise when I get in or out of the car too vigorously... first thought was the suspension.I brought it to AB (still under warranty mah)... that guy say it's the handbrake. So tighten everything and lube a few things. It was quiet for like a day... then the sound is back.I'm really scared that it's the suspension... the car less than 2 years old, already squeaky suspension... something tells me this is going to be an expensive car to maintain if I hafta change the suspension every 2 years.How long do suspensions generally lasts anyway? Could this noise be due to something else?I'm all ears...

It is the handbrake. Try without the handbrake on and the sound will not be there.

I was baffled too when i first experienced this problem 2 years ago. When i took it in to AB the first thing the guy asked me was is this my first continental car. He says this is caused by the handbrakes and it is a normal issue with continental cars.

Anyway i learned to live with the sound.

chief;247529 said:
It is the handbrake. Try without the handbrake on and the sound will not be there.

I was baffled too when i first experienced this problem 2 years ago. When i took it in to AB the first thing the guy asked me was is this my first continental car. He says this is caused by the handbrakes and it is a normal issue with continental cars.

Anyway i learned to live with the sound.

I'll go back and try with handbrake off this time... when the AB feller says it's the handbrake, he says the sound will not be there if the handbrake is all the way up (absolutely tight)... and I experimented, pulling the handbrake with all my might... and the sound is still there.

I'm puzzled though, why is this common among Continental cars? Is their handbrake design fundamentally different from Japanese handbrakes? By the way, this is not the first continental car I own and I never had this problem before... although having said that, my mum's 206 is starting to squeak like that too, and I thought it was suspension... but then her car is 4-5 years old... probably time to change suspension...??

I have this squeaking sound too, but not with my bimmer though - it's with the S40 (about 4+ years).

Once I let go of the handbrake, the sound is gone. Mechanic says it's no problem, juz leave it as it is.

it is the handbrake..it's because one day ago, you must have drove the car while the handbrake was up.. it's all due to uneven wear on the brake shoe..service it..

pussy;247614 said:
it is the handbrake..it's because one day ago, you must have drove the car while the handbrake was up.. it's all due to uneven wear on the brake shoe..service it..

the previous owner must be a lady... :burnout:

jarance;247649 said:
the previous owner must be a lady... :burnout:
Wah... teruk-ar, you. Anyway am also having the problem. U reckon how much it will cost to service the handbrake like pussy mentioned?

c-square;247676 said:
Wah... teruk-ar, you. Anyway am also having the problem. U reckon how much it will cost to service the handbrake like pussy mentioned?

cannot service lah if one shoe is worn out more than the other shoe.

For those who are not aware, the rear disc brake of the UDM have 2 type disc pads.

1. brake pad (flat shape) for normal braking using disc.
2. brake pad (crescent shape) for parking using the 'drum".

Note: the brake pad (crescent) is relatively smaller than normal brake sysem using coventional "drum" type.

pussy;247614 said:

ahahaha... maybe the previous owner too eager to drive the new beemer off the showroom :p

but I'm curious, even if you drive with the handbrake on, shouldn't the wear still be almost equal on both sides (just more severe)?

so, to service how much and to change how much? any idea?

Top Bottom