Smoke from engine bay

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

geodesy

Club Guest
Hi all sifu out there,It had happened for two days in a row. Every time when I parked up the car, adjust the front wheel, bad smell from the air-cond. When I opened up the bonnet, I can see some smoke coming out from the lower engine compartment (driver side). If I don't steer to straighten the front wheels, there's no smell/smoke. If I do it, can almost definitely get the smell/smoke. Has anyone experience this before? Can anyone shed some lights what is happening?Agony,Geo

Check ur pressure hose fr ur power steering pump 2 da power steering
box.Most likely,it's cracked & shooting at da exhaust manifold causing
da smoke.Check ur power steering fluid container for loss of oil.

If it is, don't bother changing used unit or some replicas.Get da
original back.Will cost u bout RM750.

Regards B)

Hi Wolverine,

I will post a picture tomorrow if I manage to take a shot.

RM750? Pengsan... I thought I change all the hoses for the power steering when I first got my car :(

If I hadn't change it, what's the cause? Wear with age?

Thanks,
Geo

Wear n tear.Once a yr,change da fluid...preferably.

Get some1 2 turn da steering,look at da place where da smoke comes
out. Very likely u will find da crack on da hose.

There's no cheaper solution.Stick 2 da ORIGINAL!

B)

Hey Wolverine,

Good advice, appreciate that! Off to sleep, too tired liao!

Cheers,
Geo

Here's the picture of the culprit. Tried out this evening and saw the red oil was squirted out... Amazing

so it's the ATF squirting from the steering box? if it's from the hose, then it can be a cheaper fix, if fomr the box itself, hmmmmmm.....

Originally posted by fabianyee@Aug 18 2005, 02:23 AM
so it's the ATF squirting from the steering box? if it's from the hose, then it can be a cheaper fix, if fomr the box itself, hmmmmmm.....
Ouch, that is the hose which runs from the right side to the left side of the car.... luckily the hose for the M50 is cheaper than the one for the M20. How do I know? I had the same problem too and decided to change all the hoses (power steering, brake, fuel, water except the aircon) in my car.... preventive maintenance for a peace of mind. :yes:

of course lah wolverine knws his stuff......
he has the monster garage mah!!! :nyehehe:

wolverine shld open ur own workshop lah.....sure many ppl go one....
i'm b 1 of ur regulars too dude! :yes!:

I have had the same problem a month ago. Got it replaced QUICKLY as hydraulic fluids are HIGHLY flammable!

I didnt replace with ori as its too expensive. My mechanic just source one from an engineering shop which fabricates pressure hoses. Everything in, less than RM300. So far no problems, ie; vibration, noises and etc.

Rgds

Originally posted by cyne@Aug 18 2005, 02:15 PM
Flash,

How much did it cost you to change all the hoses ?
Off-hand cannot remember because all the hoses were changed.

But the cheaper option is to fabricate one, like what AL did.

I suggest you don't fabricate the power steering hoses, use back ori/oem if possible. I tried fabricating the high pressure hose before and it works ok but after a while the power steering had noises.

Finally traced it down to the fabricated hose. Although there were no leaks or punctures in the hose itself, my mechanic said because it is fabricated the tolerences of the pipe, connectors, head, etc not so good and you can face this type of problems. Its a very common problem so my advice is if possible go back to ori if possible and oem if no choice but not fabricate one.

Once I change my fabricated hose to an ori, all the noises went away and steering feel was better too!. :D

Hi all,
Thanks for the input! It's the hose, black in colour. Looks like spongy type, not sure, too late and too tired. When steered to one end, the ATF (red) squirted out... pretty shocking!

How much would that be to change ori/oem hose? Same as Wolverine's number?

Geo

Top Bottom